1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Southwest remains NBA's toughest division after Rockets retool roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ReD_1, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Southwest_remains_NBArsquos_-237165-34.html

Thursday September 20, 2007 1:56 PM

Sneak Preview
    Southwest remains NBA's toughest division after Rockets retool roster

Damien Pierce
    Rockets.com Staff Writer
    HOUSTON -- The San Antonio Spurs won an NBA title last season and essentially have their entire roster back for another championship run.

So why aren't the Spurs a sure-thing to at least finish first in their own division? That's life in the Southwest.

With four of the past five Western Conference champions coming straight out of the Southwest, the NBA's toughest division won't be any easier this season.

Three teams -- the Rockets, Mavericks and Spurs -- are boasting hopes of competing for a Western Conference crown and the Hornets have enough talent to end their three-year playoff drought. On top of all that, the Grizzlies even got better this summer by adding a talented international star and a promising rookie point guard.

In other words, winning the division won't be easy for any team -- even the defending champs. Here's a closer look at how the Southwest looks heading into the 2007-08 season:

Houston Rockets

Coach: Rick Adelman
    Last season’s record: 52-30
    Last Playoff Appearance: 2007
    Quick Take: The Rockets have the potential to be a legitimate contender in the Western Conference thanks to a productive offseason. Rick Adelman's offensive background should make life easier for Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, while the addition of Steve Francis and Mike James will make it more difficult for opponents to turn the Rockets into a jump-shooting team. The most significant addition, however, is Luis Scola. The Argentine star brings an active presence and sound offensive game to the power forward spot. Will those arrivals blend in and be enough for the Rockets to overtake the Spurs and Mavericks in the Southwest? We'll see.
    Player to Watch: Luis Scola. On a team that needed a do-everything power forward, Scola fits the profile. He could be the one piece that was missing last season.
    Additions: G Aaron Brooks, C Jackie Butler, G Steve Francis, F Mike Harris, G Mike James, F Carl Landry, F Justin Reed and F Luis Scola.
    Losses: F Juwan Howard, G Vassilis Spanoulis and C Jake Tsakalidis.

Dallas Mavericks

Coach: Avery Johnson
    Last season’s record: 67-15
    Quick Take: They're deep. They're talented. And they've got the league's reigning MVP. In other words, anything less than a championship would be a disappointment for this team. Sort of like last season. The Mavs were easily the NBA's best team during the 2006-07 regular season, but their first-round playoff exit against Golden State tarnished their 67-win campaign. Because of that setback, there will be a lot of pressure on the Mavs this season -- especially on Dirk Nowitzki. The MVP was heavily criticized for his lackluster playoff showing, but he'll get a chance to make amends.
    Player to Watch: Dirk Nowitzki. Nowitzki was named the NBA's MVP after guiding the Mavs to the league's best record. But his impressive regular season was overshadowed by the team's first-round playoff flop. Can he make up for it?
    Additions: F Brandon Bass, F Nick Fazekas, G/F Eddie Jones and G Reyshawn Terry.
    Losses: F Austin Croshere and F Kevin Willis.

San Antonio Spurs

Coach: Gregg Popovich
    Last season’s record: 58-24
    Quick Take: One for the thumb? The Spurs collected their fourth championship ring in nine seasons last year and it's not too far-fetched to think that San Antonio could pick up a fifth. Everyone is back and Ime Udoka is a nice addition to the bench. The key is health. The Spurs have six players with 10-plus years experience, including Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen. But if those veterans handle the grind of another season and still don't have trouble keeping pace with quicker lineups, the Spurs could have another celebration on the Riverwalk.
    Player to Watch: Tony Parker. The best point guard in the NBA? He made his case last season by leading the Spurs to another title and garnering MVP of the Finals.
    Additions: G/F Ime Udoka and F Marcus Williams.
    Losses: C Jackie Butler and F/C Melvin Ely.

New Orleans Hornets

Coach: Byron Scott
    Last season’s record: 39-43
    Last Playoff Appearance: 2004
    Quick Take: Can this team stay healthy enough to make a playoff run? The Hornets' top three scorers -- Chris Paul, David West and Peja Stojakovic -- missed a grant total of 117 games last season. But even with that being the case, New Orleans only finished three games behind Golden State for the final playoff spot. Translation? This is a playoff team if it can stay healthy. The Hornets did add Morris Peterson to boost their perimeter scoring, but the health of their leading scorers will determine their playoff fate.
    Player to Watch: Peja Stojakovic. The sharpshooter was supposed to help guide the Hornets into the postseason during the 2006-07 season, but he ended up playing only 13 games. He's reportedly recovering well from back surgery. But another injury-plagued season for Stojakovic could be the Hornets' downfall.
    Additions: C/F Melvin Ely, G Adam Haluska, F Morris Peterson and F Julian Wright.
    Losses: F Brandon Bass and F Desmond Mason.

Memphis Grizzlies

Coach: Marc Iavaroni
    Last season’s record: 22-60
    Last Playoff Appearance: 2006
    Quick Take: Pau Gasol got some help. After finishing last season with the NBA's worst record, the Grizzlies vastly improved their supporting cast. Darko Milicic gives the Grizzlies someone who can team up inside with Gasol, while Juan Carlos Navarro is a seasoned veteran who should boost Memphis' offense with his shooting and passing. But in order for Memphis to make the leap from the lottery to the NBA playoffs in one season, the Grizzlies need some of their young stars to grow up fast. Their first-round pick, Mike Conley, is a promising point guard, but he'll be running an NBA offense for the first time. Rudy Gay must also raise his play in his second season.
    Player to Watch: Juan Carlos Navarro. Pau Gasol's close friend from Spain will make his NBA debut this season. He'll bring some much-needed scoring and passing.
    Additions: F Andre Brown, G Mike Conley, G/F Casey Jacobsen, F Darko Milicic and G Juan Carlos Navarro.
    Losses: G Chucky Atkins, F Alexander Johnson and F Scott Padgett.

[​IMG]

2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Losses: F Austin Croshere and F Kevin Willis.???

Willis is playing for Dallas last season?

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

just the last few games and was on the playoff roster, i remember there was a thread in which "Who do you feel sad for on the Mavs?" when they got knocked out, and I remember the thread starter said Kevin Willis, in which we all disagreed, he was RETIRED, WITH A RING already, why feel sorry for the guy for someone to just ride the bench as insurance?

EDIT: found the thread

4. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Yes,grandpa Willis played half season for Mavs last year in chance to get NBA ring...

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Everytime I see the Mav's record from last season it makes me giggle.

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i guess Willis played for all 3 Texas team

7. Barkley

Barkley Member

Great season awful playoffs, the same with Rockets...

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

not the only one, ones that come to mind

Mad Max
    David Wood
    Avery Johnson

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WOW - seeing it like that just makes you appreciate what Morey has done all the more....that is an AMAZING off season without losing any real important players.....HOLY COW !!

DD

10. windfern

windfern Member

which one, the playoff record? :D :D :D

11. zong

zong Member

Wow, four teams in this division could enter into the playoff. Mav may win the division title again, but will lose Rox in second round this time. My predication did not go wrong very often. Last year I predicted that Mav lost to Gold, and Spurs won the tittle, then I was right. :)

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah, and that doesn't even include Bonzi. And so far as I'm concerned, this is Bonzi's first season with the Rockets.

13. Barkley

Barkley Member

I always said Morey has been doing a solid job for the Rockets. We really improved this offseason and for me the main change was Adelman, not Scola Francis or James(but I'm also excited about them)

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

It's scary that all 5 teams in our division have a shot at making the playoffs. 3 are locks barring injuries, NO has a pretty good shot to land in the 6-8 range, and Memphis has an outside shot at 8.

15. heypartner

please don't talk to me. I'm annoyed that you have the audacity to use Barkley's name as your moniker.

i'm not kidding either. you annoy me. And so does the guy named Hakeem.

but go ahead, respond to me like I care.

16. Barkley

Barkley Member

First of all chill out. That's forum and everyone can write what he/she thinks so if that annoys you just stop checkin' the forum. I'm sure that you're annyoin' either for some of the members of Clutchfans.

17. heypartner

Damn, Barkley is so much better at speaking than you are. It's such a shame.

18. Barkley

Barkley Member

I don't know why my nickname annoys you? Barkley?

19. heypartner

oh yeah, your signature annoys me too.

20. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

the southwest division has ben the strongest for 3 years now, that is nothing new, the TEXAS trinagel has been the scariest road trip for everyone for a long time as well.