1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Southland- Welcome your newest member!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by xcamm1, Nov 19, 2011.

1. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

2. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I hear HBU has legit parking lots.

3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Some SHSU fans (katfans.com, by the way) aren't too thrilled with the addition of HBU, but I think it makes a ton of sense.

HBU gives the SLC a presence in Houston and these days, it's not often you add a school to your conference without making travel harder on the rest of the teams in the conference.

4. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

It's obviously great for HBU and I think they will quickly compete in the Southland non-football sports, while football will be added in the next couple years. I admit that HBU's athletic facilities are lacking (understatement), but believe it or not there has been some improvement to the athletic facilities since current President Robert Sloan (yes, from Baylor) got there. The overall facilities at the university have improved and the athletic facilities will come. I also have to think that a firm commitment was made to the SLC when they visited HBU last week. There has long been talk for a complex to be built adjacent to 59 (at Fondren), on land that HBU is currently "buying back" the leases that they own there - Mattress Firm, Burger King, crappy strip center, etc.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This SHSU alum welcomes you to the best FCS confrence.

6. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I welcome HBU for the fact that I live in Houston and will now get a basketball game every year and a baseball series every other year. When HBU gets football in a couple years, a football game every other year, in Houston. Best decision by SLC in awhile. Sam also wants to play TSU in the new Dynamo stadium :)
    SLC still wants another school and I hope they pick Incarnate Word in San Antonio, much closer than Tarleton and West Texas a&m, who are also wanting to jump ship to SLC. Basically Incarnate Word would replace UTSA and give San Antonio a FBS and FCS team, which is good for them.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Any chance they will play football in the Dynamo's stadium?

8. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

I would like to see them play in the dynamo stadium as well. To my knowledge its just speculation right now.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I never understood why HBU leased out prime real estate and blocked the school from 59.

It will be good for HBU and the SLC. I don't know how HBU will afford FCS football, but whatever.

TSU is planning to play its home games at the Dynamo Stadium. If TSU has an exclusive deal then HBU or any other college would be SOL. See Temple telling Villanova to f off at Lincoln Financial Field. Of course this is poor TSU...they probably can't afford the lease and the Dynamo knew but accepted for PR.

UH may sign a deal with Reliant for 2012. HBU can't start football that fast so Reliant or the HISD stadiums are options.

10. val_modus

val_modus Member

from what i'v heard around campus, we're going to be playing at one of the HISD stadiums..

11. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I would doubt it. TSU is already signed up to play there and given that the Dynamo are now the primary tenant in their stadium, I would think they would do all they can to avoid having to share the stadium more than they already will be.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe now they can get some online, evening or weekend classes.

13. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

Huh? I know HBU has evening classes; not sure about weekend. Imo, they don't need online classes. They are not a huge state school that may have that need, and they are not University of Phoenix either.

I am interested to see where they will play football. Even if they do build a stadium, it is not going to happen immediately. What are the facilities of Strake Jesuit like? That's a private school in the immediate area. Otherwise, Rhodes Stadium in Katy? Tully in Spring Branch? Mercer in Sugarland?

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Welcome, Huskies! It'll be nice to see my Lamar Cardinals playing more games in Houston.

15. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

I'm sure they have made a killing by leasing out that property for all these years....That has to be the reason.

16. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

lets play at reliant!