1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

South Florida Sun-Sentinel: Former Heat guard's appearance curious (JJ article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forchette49, Jan 7, 2005.

1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Former Heat guard's appearance curious

By Ira Winderman
    Staff Writer
    Posted January 7 2005

Among the spectators at the Heat's victory over the Knicks on Wednesday was former Heat guard Jim Jackson.

Two factors made the appearance curious.

Foremost, Jackson is supposed to be with the Hornets, who acquired him Dec. 27 along with guard Bostjan Nachbar from the Rockets for guard David Wesley.

Instead, Jackson has declined to report, forfeiting $27,000 for each New Orleans game he has missed.

Additionally, one of Jackson's most productive seasons in recent years came in 2001-02 with the Heat.

Under NBA rules, Jackson cannot be packaged with another player by the Hornets within 60 days of the Rockets trade. However, he could be dealt alone for a package of players equal to his $2.42 million 2004-05 salary.

Among the trade possibilities that could work would be Wesley Person and Rasual Butler, as well as Malik Allen or Butler in a package rounded out with low-end salaries.

The Hornets have been active on the trade market, sending guard Darrell Armstrong to the Mavericks last month.

"You've got to get some players in here who can play," coach Byron Scott told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "So there is going to be a lot of talk, and it's just a fact of life."

The Heat apparently has not eliminated the possibility of adding free-agent power forward Karl Malone, with General Manager Randy Pfund possibly meeting with Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, during the upcoming western swing.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-heatnote07jan07,0,2022437.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

JJ to the Heat, we'll see!!

3. forchette49

JJ for PFs Rasual Butler AND Malik Allen, why didn't I thnk of that?...

:rolleyes:

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

good for jj if it happens.

5. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Anyone hear what Matt Bullard had to say about JJ yesterday afternoon on 610? He made it seem as though JJ was a distraction in the locker room. He said something to the effect that JJ is someone who becomes a nuissance after a couple years which is why he has moved around so much. He seemed like a good dude with leadership ability who came to play each night. I knew there had to be something going on behind the scenes because the trade didn't make any sense to me and I'm still upset that they did that.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

that has been alluded to by several reports as well... we only see the guy out on the court.

Hey, Biggio seems like a likable fellow too, but I he got Larry Derker fired the year the Astro's went to the playoffs ! Apperances can be deciving.

From Tmac's quotes post JJ trade, I think he is cool with it. JJ took a lot of shots here and while he played hustle D, Wesley and Barry and a lot quicker than he is

... the guy hit 50 in a game and can't stay with a team longer than 2 years... there HAS to be something to that

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:confused: :confused:

Rasual Butler is a small forward, and Malik Allen is, and always will be, a mediocre backup power forward. If that's all JJ is worth, be thankful for David Wesley.

8. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Its funny that JJ could play for the other Van Gundy. I wonder if Jeff talked to his brother about possibly picking up JJ.

9. Willis25

I also doubt Miami has anything decent to trade - I think the Hornets want prospects

... they should have taken Gaines instead of JJ - since he can get some playing time there

10. forchette49

Hard to trade 2 Houston backups/IR fodder for a starter though...

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I would like to see JJ on the works with a great team.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Please elaborate.

13. Man

Man Contributing Member

Sucks if he goes to Miami. Good for him and Miami though.

14. Willis25

first - for forchette49 - I was saying the Hornets should have taken Gaines if only because in a rebuilding mode, they lose Wesley's contract and get another younger player with a short term deal who might pan out if given PT (which there is plenty of in NO)

as for my Biggio comment - this is not the Astro's forum, but CB has always been rumored to be a "club house lawyer" and he is McClain's favorite player (besides Bagwell) - Drayton even has a "locker" in the clubhouse between Bigg. and Bags.

not only did Biggio not like Derker's style of calling people out, but R Justice (who is an idiot about other stuff - but knows his baseball) said that the final Straw for Hunsinker was McLane's decision to pick up CB's contract extention.

Now I was not bashing Bigg - but I wanted to point out that a likable player to the fans can cause problems in the clubhouse. In the Rockets case - I don't think JJ was that bad - but I think that 11 teams in 14 years says a lot and appearances aren't what they seem to us on the outside

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Saw this today...

Nets interested in Jackson

News

The Nets and Hornets have begun discussions about a possible trade for disgruntled New Orleans' forward Jim Jackson. Nets' president Rod Thorn contacted the Hornets on Tuesday, when the team learned that guard/forward Richard Jefferson would need wrist surgery and miss the rest of the season. "Jimmy can definitely help, because he's a very versatile player," guard Jason Kidd told the Newark Star-Ledger.

Views

Kidd and Jackson played two-plus seasons together with the Mavericks back in 1995-97, so Jason would have a pretty good idea about what Jim could bring to the table. Without Jefferson and Ron Mercer, the Nets badly need help at the swing positions, and we also believe Jackson would be a nice addition. We'll let you know if the talks heat up.

I thought Kidd and JJ didn't get along in their Dallas days.

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah I heard that yesterday on NBA TV before the Heat Suns game. I guess time heals all.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm interested to see who the nets trade for jj.

after this whole incident his stock has dropped to an all time low.

18. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Yep, he has been traded so many times, he at least deserve's that.