1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. malakas

malakas Member

First thing in the morning is checking twitter if the Wolves players haven't killed each other yet.

Tonight they have a game I wonder if Jimmy will travel with the team.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you bleeping need jimmy... cant win without jimmy

heypartner and stevel like this.
  3. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

What about the idea that the Suns will probably buy out Ariza’s Contract and he could potentially rejoin the Rockets?

I’m leaning towards giving up Tucker & Gordon and going all in this year! CP3 is getting old and Harden is not getting any younger......Just go for it all this year and see what happens.

CP3
    Harden
    Butler
    Melo
    Capela

topfive and BigShasta like this.
  4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Because (a) Morey's about more than analytics, (b) analytics are more advanced than this, and (c) Morey's about more than analytics.

seeingred, rimrocker, HP3 and 8 others like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Josh Richardson and a pick?! That would’ve been the dumbest trade for a proven all-star in recent history! Waiters is washed up so i’m only assets.

Ow and to the people who would include PJ and Gordon, try to grasp with the fact that the Heat would’ve only had to include one decent player- who is worse than Gordon - and the ability to unload a bad player and contract in the process! If you still think Morey should trade both, I seriously question your ability to understand reasoning and reality.

Hakeemtheking and hakeem94 like this.
  6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

"Jimmy gonna' get you Taylor".............if you don't trade me!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

nobody’s forcing u to enter this thread

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the logic of people believing Ariza will be bought out. The Suns brought him in on a one year deal only to buy him out by the deadline. I am sure Suns management are aware that even with the veteran acquisitions they are still not good enough to make the playoffs. I don't understand why they brought in Ariza when they already have Chandler as the veteran presence but as far as I can tell, that's the intent of signing Ariza.

Little Bit, Bobsputin and cmlmel77 like this.
  10. The Greyhound 33

My balls can only get so blue. C'mon Mouri!

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah it’s a ridiculous notion that he’s going to get bought out, I don’t get it. Ridiculous the idea got so much traction that they would even talk about it on tv programs.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This franchise is even more dysfunctional than the Clippers at their worst. All that talent going to waste. The players and management both are to blame. I'm glad Houston is so professional. Going after Butler is a risk, because of his behavior.

14. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you kidding, Jimmy is flying the plane.
    And making Kat and Wig ride in the cargo hold.

malakas likes this.
  15. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes there is!!!
    There is no other explanation for me running back to Lucy with the football day after day, after frickin day!

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Are you okay?!

Swiss Roll likes this.
  17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There are varying degrees of "not making the playoffs" with significantly different implications.

Are they in the 20-62 range again (or worse)? Or are they like the Lakers a year ago, jumping to the 35-win tier and looking like a team on the upswing? I know the LA market helped as well, but part of the reason the Lakers were attractive as a FA destination is because the organization showed growth. IMO, that's what the Suns are hoping for — not that they're going to get someone in the Durant tier, but they want to get off the perpetual 20-win cycle, and veterans like Ariza, Ryno, etc. can help jump start that. Veterans like Ariza are also particularly useful in training camp and over the 7-month grind to keep young players focused and promote the right culture.

If the Suns are tracking to win 30+ games and showing improvement, then yeah, I buy that they'll keep him around the full season. If they're still on a 20-62 pace, though, and they're sitting there on February 28 with nearly 6 of the 7 aforementioned months gone... there's absolutely a chance. Keep in mind, most buyouts aren't done out of "strategy" for that particular team. It's not like rebuilding teams WANT to part ways with their veterans (in most cases). They're done as a favor to the player and particularly his agent, so that the agency sees them as player friendly and whatnot for future transactions.

Phoenix certainly didn't sign Ariza with intentions of buying him out. They signed him with the idea that he'd provide a short-term boost to the team and get them out of that perpetual 20-25 win cycle. They signed him for the hope of being better. But if that doesn't happen, there's absolutely a realistic path to where the sides could part ways 5 weeks early. If you want it, cheer against the Suns.

BigMaloe, Deuce, Nook and 4 others like this.
  18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Also, for all the talk about what the Phoenix "plan" was/is: Keep in mind they just fired Ryan McDonough, the GM who made the decision to sign Ariza! It's entirely possible the new regime might have a different vantage point on veterans and/or his value.

Again, I agree that it's silly to count on Ariza being available on the buyout market, because it's far, far from a given. But I think it's equally silly to completely write it off. There are definitely some real scenarios where he could be.

BigMaloe, Deuce, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I didn't understand this line of thinking a week ago. But now that they fired the GM that brought him in I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility at all. They wanted to win now but they're not going to. They might could fight for the 8th seed in the East but in the West they'll be like the 12th? I could definitely see them tanking again. I think it more likely they try to trade Ariza first but who is going to give up substantial assets for Ariza at that dollar amount when they could potentially sign him in the off-season without giving up assets?

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

something that was randomly made up on cf's. not happening