1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

luckyman76, Deuce, gatsby and 9 others like this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

I would keep Gordon if jimmy wanted to be here it would have been done.

3. esketit

esketit Member

actually i will let him do it.. i will not post private conversations without his consent. He has my permission to do so. sorry im on my mobile and srguing with a child on reddit about rubio vs westbrick in the playoffs

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

what if we are just being used as leverage? like the old days lol

hakeem94 and esketit like this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Jopatesketitholic, you are beyond predictable.

But at least you're entertaining on occasion.

6. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Lol....so much classic holic/jopat in this thread. Definitely worth the distraction while waiting on JB news.

7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Idk how much longer my f5 key is going to last.

Gonna have to bill the Rockets for a new laptop if this goes on much longer..

8. basketballholic

So, since it's not about money and money is waaaaaay down on the list....what kind of extension would Jimmy be willing to sign right now?

This is about money @Codman. Sure he wants to win big. Every max player that's a workhorse, a minute guzzler, wants to win and win big. But he ain't signing no $100-120 million extension. He wants that 190. That's his life after he's done playing. And the homeless environment he grew up in that you mentioned is the reason money isn't important to him......it's the exact opposite....money and security is of utmost importance to him...because of how he grew up.

He wants 5/190......Not 4/140.....Not 5/140, not 3/90. He wants 5/190. And OBVIOUSLY he wants that money on a team fighting for playoff supremacy and championships. He doesn't want to piss away 5 years waiting to see if KAT and Wigggins can get it going. He don't want to be stuck there or have to walk from there for 4/142. He wants a trade ti a contender so he can play with great players and suck down 5/190. It is sky the money cod.

4. Another friend who is also a poster here turned me on to oubre before you and cyber started talking about him. And because oubre is a jayhawk I happen to be aware that morey was tracking him and he was one of our targets along with hezonja in the 2015 draft. I didn't get that from you. But I do read you and some of the stuff you post I could corroborate very easily with things that I hear. Appreciate all you give us here.

But two things

1. I know Winslow is a primary target. And I'm confident although I didn't hear it directly, that Oubre is another primary target.

#3288 basketballholic, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  9. basketballholic

2. Butler (and Kawhi) is a secondary target. We will take Butler. But it has to be the right trade that leaves us with flexibility to acquire other talent in case Butler walks on us. That's why I'm saying we're going to have a 2019 first round pick, either after we acquire Butler or by the trade deadline. So we can transact if Butler walks away.

The only way this doesn't happen is if Butler either opts into next season or he signs an extension covering next season that allows us to keep him here this season and then trade him to the team of his choice next summer.

The most likely scenario is we either participate in a multi team trade that moves Butler to Miami, Washington, or perhaps Boston or Milwaukee or we are left out of the deal altogether. In which case we would then be a logical trade partner for one of Miami or Washington down at the deadline.

Another possibility exists here though. And that's that this Butler trade talk spurs Miami or Washington into doing a deal with us (and Sacramento) now. Why? Because Sacramento is the ONLY team with cap space. And a team like Washington really needs that cap space to get out of the tax. So they could feel motivated to get a deal done if they feel threatened that Minny and another team is going to use that cap space in a Butler trade. Washington desperately needs to get out of the luxury tax this season.

The rest of my post speaks to applying our brains to the rumors we hear. I am well aware of what we're hearing. But you know very well that the vast majority of what we hear is intentional false info designed to get some team or player to respond. You have to take rumors and see if they are workable to know whether they are viable.

My mind says paying 110-120 million a season to three players for 4 years is absurd when a team is already one year into the luxury tax and has to step out of the tax at least two years out of the next 4 years to avoid the repeater luxury tax while trying to challenge the Warriors and Celtics for titles. And that's exactly where we will be next summer if we trade for Butler and then re-sign him to a max deal starting north of $32.7 million. We'll be at $109 million for Harden, Paul, and Butler. Throw in Knight or Dieng at 15 million, Capela at 15 million, and pj at 8 million and we're at $147 million for 6 guys. Mind you, we'd already be 15 million deep in the luxury tax before we got to the rest of the roster. At minimum salaries that's another 5 million.

So a Butler trade has to leave us with options somehow. And will likely cost other assets that we have to move to drop salary later. That'll be our second season in the luxury tax unless somehow we peel out of the tax this season....... Not likely without trading capela to an non tax-paying team and saving about 5 million in cap space.

When you put our long term salary cap picture together with the given outside of the repeater luxury tax being too much to pay then you realize the plates that are spinning here and hire everything affects everything else.

Butler being traded to Houston isn't as simple as trading away our 2019 and 2021 picks and giving him a 5-year max, and bring ourselves chin deep in the luxury tax with no way Rubio escape our besides to give God players away for nothing at some point just to escape it. That's why it makes more sense to trade for a player that's going to be a restricted free agent in a tight market and then match an offer sheet. Even if it's a max offer sheet (4/117) which it probably won't be it's still considerably less (4/117) than what you'd have to pay Butler over 5 seasons ($190 million).

This is precisely why Minny is having a difficult time getting any kind of value for Butler. Teams don't have cap space. Very little trade flexibility.

Moleb likes this.
  10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

@esketit come get your man

#3290 BigggReddd, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    D-rock, Rashmon, Deuce and 12 others like this.
  11. basketballholic

I use Swype on an Android. When I Swype quickly it defaults from to to Rubio. Also from becomes grim. Us becomes is. Doesn't becomes Durant. And so it goes. Sometimes I don't see them all. I'm trying to get my thoughts down. Sorry.

Rubio is a great player. Never forget it!

12. tc0330

tc0330 Member

a-f***ing-men

DonKnock and matchesmalone like this.
  13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Cyber gonna have to make a new thread or something smfh. This thread turned into a fucceryfest

D-rock, BigMaloe, hibbetts and 7 others like this.
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

There is some embarassing stuff being posted.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hollic been taking them Donald Trump speech classes. Jimmy Is going to win big folks, believe me.

BigMaloe, malakas, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

Time to move on if he was ours he would be here already

Why not? likes this.
  17. Audioout

Audioout Member

I hate how this idiot, Holic, takes over every damn thread and makes it about him or his ridiculous opinions no one agrees with. Even if I block him, the thread just gets completely hijacked. That and I have to still see him quoting and talking to himself through his myriad burner accounts. :mad:

luckyman76, D-rock, BigMaloe and 12 others like this.
  18. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Have holic blocked too and can tell this thread has gone to **** because of him

BigMaloe, SS0101, Richie_Rich and 4 others like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Donald speech phrases on multiple accounts... That's how you can tell it is him. :D

(True!)

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Chamillionaire

Yeah that's some annoying ass ****.

topfive likes this.