1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

2. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

This would be great. You can get a good player worth 17 mil for yao and then just re sign yoa next year on the cheap. You would pretty much get a good player for nothing

3. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

I agree with all that. I was thinking a week or so ago that trading Yao puts the Rockets right back in the Carmelo sweepstakes.

Not just the insured contract, the new team gets millions of new fans, even if Yao is only there for a short time.

IF the Rockets make a trade for a genuine superstar AND Yao comes back next year on a reasonable deal, this team could actually be a contender for a change.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Morey's public response to this news will tell us all we need to know about it's validity.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the trade-then-sign-in-the-summer possibility makes the most sense. Similar "boomerang" deals involving players on expiring contracts, though not including players out for season, have been done for guys like Ilgauskas and Payton. Yao being out for this season means that by the time he is ready to play again (if ever), his current contract would have expired and you can sign him back anyway if you wish.

Meanwhile, there's no reason why not to use his expiring/insured contract to essentially buy some talent-- whether it's a player making significant money or a draft pick or two.

1 person likes this.
  6. eugeniu

eugeniu Member

Emeka Okafor ?
    Camby ?

7. hodgo

hodgo Contributing Member

Whats the possibility of trading Yao for something then signing him back next season on a smaller contract is this possible

8. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

+1. I believe Yao would/will do the same thing. It's not like if he gets traded that any team will sign him to an extension since he may never play again. Trade him, let the other team save some $$, then he could re-sign with the Rox if/when he's healthy enough to do so.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I doubt he says anything about it, Morey never reveals his hand, he is a good poker player in regards to the media.

You never see stories break early about anything the Rockets are doing these days....that is one tight ship.

DD

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

If we're trading him, it's with Yao's consent and it's that he's retiring after this season.

We're not trading him, only to re-sign him in the off-season with the looming CBA status, and the variable of changing coming in the way. Plus, tons of GMs and teams not wanting to work with us after this half & half trade we'd just pull off. If you think this way, you're foolish because there's a high chance there's a lockout next season and even better chance the Rockets will not let their reputation be sacrificed by such a tactical move.

If we do actually trade him, I wonder, for what? It'd be a team in need of salary relief or just the basis of having Yao on their team for namesake. Memphis with Thabeet, Mayo, etc.? I don't know, we'll see.

Wojo is damn reliable with his sources, it doesn't mean he's getting traded, but I can believe the possibility of it now.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I would imagine Yao understands the salary issues and that this could potentially make the team better, if he decided to come back. The team has stuck with him thru his injuries, and I don't think this would change Yao wanting to re-sign with the Rockets since I don't think they would do this without briefing him on it.

Just my opinion!

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if true, it's huge news. would be sad day in rocket land.

13. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Yao must understand, that in order for this team to get better there going to have to trade his big contract, in return Houston gets another Superstar, once season is over, DM calls Yao for a short term 2 year deal worth 10 mill, 5 mill a season, now this team is stack for next season when Yao Resigns with Houston. Smart freaking genious Move by our GM DM! ;)

14. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

New Orleans/NBA won't move Paul unless they are dead in the water and that hasn't happened yet.

My vote goes for PHX, Sarver needs to shed salary and if Nash has made the call for a trade then I can see Yao for Nash/Gortat or Nash/Lopez as options.

16. Asian Sensation

I hope it's true. Gotta cut the cord sooner or later. No better time than now since we're creeping back in the playoff picture.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You know this sorta smells like one of those Carmelo type scenarios. :confused:

18. cujo

cujo Member

If Yao gets traded, rehabs, resigns with Rox for the minimum and then somehow become relevant again to help the Rox win a championship next year, Wow, that would be the Rocky comeback story of the decade. Just dreaming, but that is how Yao's story should end. The Rockets are doing the right thing if they planning to trade him taking advantage of the insurance thing.

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Yao Ming is worth more than Jared Jeffries as an expiring contract. Yao Ming gives you 9 mil cap relief today. Jared Jeffries gives other teams no cap relief until next season.

20. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Yeah, right, cause Carmelo would come here for Yao?

The dude wouldn't even sign an extension here when Yao was deemed "relatively" healthy prior to season's start. No way does this cat come here FOR Yao.