1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Pistons asking for a first-round pick for disgruntled Greg Monroe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Patricker, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Patricker

Patricker Rookie

According to NBA rules, Pistons forward Greg Monroe is now eligible to be traded. And, sources told Sporting News, he wants that, badly. But teams seeking Monroe will need to cough up a first-round pick, and that’s a sticking point.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...umor-greg-monroe-detroit-pistons-celtics-suns

Houston In:
    G.Dragic

Detroit In:
    8m TE
    2015 1st Rd Pick (via New Orleans)

Phoenix In:
    Monroe

2 people like this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Well, it just so happens that we have one of those that's burning a hole in our coffers.

3. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I think I'd prefer to keep DMo's confidence high and have him play defense at the same high level than bring in porous Monroe.

Monroe is clearly not an easy asset to flipeither

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because of Monroe's contract status, he is unlikely to agree to a trade to any team that does not have max or near max cap space-- and he also has the right to veto any trade.

Specifically, because he signed the one year offer as a restricted FA, he will lose his Bird Rights if he agrees to be traded. So, his new team will not be able to use Bird Rights to sign him and can only offer him a big $ contract if the team has cap room.

Because the Rockets are not projected to have near max cap space, Monroe is very unlikely to agree to a trade to Houston. We may, as the OP suggests, facilitate a 3 team deal and get someone else in the deal.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

While I would love Monroe the player, and he would be a clear upgrade over Black and Dorsey, i don't think he would be very gruntled backing up D-Mo and Howard.

Terry + pels pick should get it done. And he would address a need. Plus defender, scorer and passer. If he would be OK playing 25-30 MPG as the 6th man, I would love to add him.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That would be too good to be true. I would be so happy.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's beautiful!

8. cebu

cebu Member

Howard
    Dmo
    Ariza
    Harden
    Dragic

=
    Ring

9. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

This is actually a trade that would help everyone involved. Morey get'r done:eek:

10. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

LOL! D-Mo has been playing great but typical Clutchfan homerism. Greg Monroe would start immediately, we're talking about a 24 year old lottery pick that's one of the better offensive big men in the league.

11. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

The bolded part sounds an awful lot like DMo. Except he was the 20th pick.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Would help everyone out. Maybe one of these teams (Detroit) would ask for Canaan or another young player though and I'd even give them up (If not Dmo...). PG duo of Bev/Dragic is good enough.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

Would rather have the pick.

14. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This trade would leave PHX with about $48.5 million in committed salart. What's the max Monroe would be eligible for?

As well though, what incentive does PHX have to do this if they can just trade Dragic for a pick and clear space and sign Monroe in the summer? If Im not mistaken the team that has Monroe has no better advantage than any other team next summer.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Uhmmm. No. Definitely not. TE's are honestly not very valuable anymore in the NBA. You must be thinking about five years ago.

16. i3artow i3aller

When you're forced to live in detroit, nothing can make you smile.

[​IMG]

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If Beverley can sustain this level of three point shooting (>40%), is Goran Dragic really going to be an upgrade at starting point?

Don't get me wrong, I love Goran and really wanted him here in the offseason, but if Beverley can keep shooting like he has, he is better suited to start with Harden. Also, I am loving our starting lineup with 3 elite defenders at key postions (point, wing and center).

The one area Beverley struggles in is play-making, which is what Goran excels at but even then, is it worth making a change to the starting lineup for a minor upgrade at best? Canaan might prove to be the play-maker we need for the second unit, who knows?

Right now, I think Morey is trying to trade for whatever he can get for the TPE without using the NOP pick, and without messing with our lineup too much (i.e. a bench player on an expiring). Then if the right opportunity presents itself in February, use that contract along with Terry's contract or even Papa and the NOP pick to land a big name.

1 person likes this.
  18. Chamillionaire

Monroe isn't the problem for Det. It's Jennings and Smith. I'd try to move one of them with Monroe for some expirings, picks, and young prospects.

We don't need Monroe. He plays on one of the worst teams in the league. He can't even get them in the playoffs even in a weak eastern conference.

19. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Or we just use the trade exception to get Monroe straight up. I think a big rotation of Howard, DMO, Monroe and TJones when he gets back is volatile.

20. HRox832

HRox832 Member

That trade... is perfect :)