1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Moreys Summer Goal? Bring CP3+Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Then you know what happens next year right? LBJ will come here to play with cp3 and melo and harden.

2. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

TBH we're signing cp3 for around 4 million in this scenario. You should be the gm if you can get him to sign for that little.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Do you have the yearly breakdown? I'm thinkin this would have us paying CP3 like 40-45M at age 36... lol

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The reality is that if you sign Chris Paul you are looking at a two year window to win a title and you are going to overpay him for that window. That's one way to "up the risk profile."

Von Rafer, BigMaloe and amaru like this.
  5. kjayp

Everybody keeps saying that CP3 is getting the max and that therefor the argument that he's just using us as leverage is nonsense...

Well if we're the ones giving him the max... that's 4/149M... which would have us paying a 35-36 yr old CP3 40M+....

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's what I was pointing to. You are going to overpay him like crazy in years where won't be elite to capture the two year window and hope it pans out. That's a big risk.

There's also the big risk that he's is injury prone. Feels like he has tanked the Clippers by getting hurt in the playoffs for a decade straight lol. Would likely need to give him the Nene treatment during the season.

Makes sense that this is what Morey means by upping the risk profile. Bringing in a guy that tightens the window up, makes you change up the offense, etc.

Pen15clubber, BigMaloe and kjayp like this.
  7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Cp3 is worth the risk even at max.

While your at it try and sign Paul millsap also.

I mean at this point the rockets have to go all in with harden.

He's got 2 year and left he's in his prime, the time is now.

If it flames out in year three you likely have a resigned harden under contract that you can trade for a high draft pick and rebuild.

To me what the rockets are doing is the right thing. Go for the max guys regardless of fit regardless of age and see what they can do over the next two years in Hardens prime.

....... but a realistic scenario I see is the rockets getting Kyle Lowry and Paul millsap.

Not the biggest names of the bunch but def would be major upgrade to our team.

Lowry already plays with a guard in derozan who is ball dominant and ISO heavy so he could play with James and millsap could play the draymond green roll. Rockets would be a very good team assuming Capela takes anothe step in development.

8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I don't think you know how the salary cap works or what I actually did there.

9. kjayp

I got a similar read as he did when I read your post...
    Ryno + Dekker are less than Melo - so you're giving up cap space by taking on more salary...
    Bev is <6M....
    with the cap adjusting down from previous projection... gonna leave you around 10M for CP3.... i dont think that gonna fly... jus sayin...

#469 kjayp, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  10. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

I thought Melo made over 30 million. He actually makes almost 25 million. You're losing 3 million by trading Anderson and Dekker so we're at 6 million in space. Bev will give us 5 million so we'd have 11 million to sign CP3. Once again, you should be gm if you can get him to sign for 33% of what his max salary could be.

BigMaloe and kjayp like this.
  11. rockets13champs

What's the salary difference in terms of CA income tax and jock tax

12. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

That actually leaves us with about $14 mill but also trading Lou or E.G. would let us sign him.

13. kjayp

but on your breakdown you have both Lou and EG listed... along with CP3...

plus Nene isnt under contract... and TWill would have to be renounced to meet full space available...

14M + Lou's 7 isnt enough.... 14M + EG's 13 = 27M which prob still isnt enough with his max being 35M....

think ya need to make another run over them numbers... :)

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like to think that one answer/variation/view/hope of this is ... At games end would Harden be content to receive a pass that puts him in a one one one situation instead of walking it up into a double team?

15. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Just saw this on twitter lol.

16. kjayp

I just posted this in another thread - but here's the yearly breakdown...

Chris Paul’s Maximum Contract :

2017-18 (age 32) $35,350,000
    2018-19 (age 33) $37,117,500
    2019-20 (age 34) $38,885,000
    2020-2021 (age 35) $40,652,500
    $152,005,000

17. kjayp

So per Bima... if we waive/renounce troy, Wiltjer, BB, and IT... with Nene not being signed... we have 9.7M in space...

Melo's cap # next year is over 26M....Ryno 19.5M and Dekker 1.8M... so RA/Dekk for Melo costs an extra 3.7M...

9.7 existing space plus taking on 3.7 = 6M in remaining space...

PBev is 5.5M next year... so if you jettison him and take back no salary = 11.5M in space...

That 11.5M + Lou's 7M + EGs 13M = 31.5M - which might be enough for CP3 if he wants to take less than max...

So.... to follow your scenario.... Melo+CP3 would cost us PBev/RA/Dekk/Lou/EG/Troy/Wiltjer/BB and IT...

leaving us: Harden, Melo, CP3, CC, Harrell, Ariza and Onu... and 8 roster spots to fill with no $ - IF CP took less than max...

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Agree. Now is not the time to play safe or be cheap. If we get CP3 . I would actually like Griffin more, but Hayward would be great too. I like Griffin for postups and easy buckets down in the paint.

19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

i don't think they know each other too well.

20. the shark

the shark Member

Cyberx called it (at least with CP thus far)!!

Rox11 likes this.