1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Moreys Summer Goal? Bring CP3+Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Now if we could somehow add Gallo and Wilson Chandler to this lineup we would be able to beat Warriors in 6

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Paging @BimaThug

Is there a realistic way to make this work mechanically? (Set aside the chances of them agreeing, just mean the mechanics salary/trade/roster move wise.)

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, but that's impossible unless CP3, Hayward, and Gallo take severe paycuts...I'm talking like taking half of what they're worth

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Honestly though I don't believe the salary cap space needed is possible without a true gutting of the team. Including Gordon and probably bev. Unless we could do a SnT for either or they talk a decent pay cut each.

12m current cap space.
    Ryan for nothing adds 19m
    Lou and ariza for nothing is 14m
    Gordon for nothing adds 13m
    Bev for nothing adds 6m

That puts you at 64m

That's highly highly difficult to pull off. It requires both to take a few million less(texas tax argument). It completely decimates depth.

Cp3
    Harden
    Hayward
    Dekker
    Capela

Imo it's worth it but it leaves you with only having harrell, nanu, wiltjer, brown, williams "type" of players to fill out the roster. I say "type" because most likely their cap holds would have to be renounced.

7. justtxyank

No chance this happens this way. Only way I see it is if one or both of these potential targets is taking significantly less than their max to make it work. Even at that I doubt it, but it's fun to pitch the dream.

Problem with this is that while you could build a Miami type super team this way, it's still not good enough to compete with the Warriors next year because the depth would be terrible.

CallMeTheDream and BigMaloe like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

if they both agree to take 5 mil/yr less then we could still keep Lou to be our 6th man

we would need a starting PF and would have no real way of getting 1

I think our bench could be fine with Lou, Sam, Harrell, Nene (Could he be brought back with the room exception or whatever exception we would have at our disposal?), and whatever vets agree to come here on a vet min

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

yeah, when he's a free agent in 2018

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That was the combo I had in mind.

Would be good offensively but would definitely bring our defense down a few more notches. Good luck, diablo blanco de haburgesas!

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I don't see us finding enough takers to be honest. That's a lot of teams taking players into space or sending out non guarenteeds or slightly guaranteed contracts. Very difficult.

While that's possible sure, I think it's more likely you trade lou to split the 7m (3.5m) to each of the 2 stars and ask them to take roughly 1.5-2m less than the max. That seems more palatable for the stars imo.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Solid... if you're not rebuilding you have to go big, obviously.
    But as noted it's a long-shot.
    And the fit would still be interesting.

Lol... maybe, but it's as big a long shot as anything. There are previous examples to think of. The Celtics summer forming a super team and the Heat, then the Cavs. We'd all love for the Rockets to be the most recent version. Dwight, LMA, KD don't count imo as they were 1 guy going to 1 team.

But how does DM do it? If he moves Ryno, Ariza and Williams, that's what, $33.9 million of savings. Plus another $12 in space I think they can already make. That's $45.9 million, which isn't enough. So what, trade EG for space/in sign and trade? That's an extra $12.9 million ... which gets you to $58.8 million... which is getting there. Of course you've gutted your team though do have much better players back, but are without a PF and without any bench to speak of...

Everything comes down to the players themselves. Can Harden recruit a tandem? Would they want to join? If so will they take any price cuts?

Beyond that... where are the Hayward meeting with Houston rumors??

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

finally he's been eating fat free krispy kremes and lettuce hamburgers. '17-'18 rockets big 3 confirmed, but lebron had one too and they lost in 5. ryan's getting paid like a "big 3" player, maybe he can step up and drop 20 a game? or maybe we can enslave ariza some more and make him avg 10 threes a game or his house burns down.

not bad morey, not bad at all

14. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

If you can't get Hayward, swing a deal for Paul George.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

get 'er done Murray

16. justtxyank

Right. Ryan Anderson alone is tough.

Honestly you could make a case for everyone of those guys being easy to trade but trading ALL of them is tough.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

What is the per year max for CP3 and Hayward?

I think you can pull this off and still keep one of Bev, Lou, or Ariza. Anderson and Gordon would have to go, i think.

18. threepointshot3

i assume getting rid of Anderson is step 1.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Whether this happens or not, I'm glad the Rockets are thinking big and doing all they can to improve this team.

Richie_Rich, Dgn1, Raider17 and 3 others like this.
  20. justtxyank

And if you can't get either one, swing a deal for Lebron.

Baqui99, KlutchQT, Raider17 and 3 others like this.