1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey eyeing Gordon Hayward next summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not sure why some of you are down on Hayward, i mean, he's the guy who can make us better most as today, if that's still not good enough for you, we better trade everyone and start tanking.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's because he'll cost a fortune and he's "merely" an All-Star, not a superstar. Unfortunately that's the new reality in the NBA. You have to overpay for talent(*cough* Ryan Anderson *cough*).

It's all a moot point anyway. Hayward won't come here. If he leaves Utah and max money, Boston makes more sense than us(state income tax situation notwithstanding). They're already in the Conference Finals in the joke that is the East. They have the #1 pick in the draft this summer. And LeBron at age 32 and in his 14th season can't keep this up forever. Hayward plus whatever they get with that pick could put them over the top in the East next season. And if it doesn't, it will the year after when LeBron is approaching his mid-30s.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Idiot. Don't you think it was already escalated when you called me a troll? People like you really hinder this board. You call someone a troll. They say GFY. Then you say that escalated quickly. The stupidity reigns heavy here.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with you on the second part, but in the end, the reality is this, we either want to compete or we should just trade everyone and tank for 3 years. Hayward is actually one of the few guys out there who is going to be worth the money he'll get so, i wouldn't talk about overpaying here, a two way all star caliber player (without weaknesses) definitely deserves a max.

5. count_dough-ku

I'm fine with going after Hayward if he doesn't cost us too much. And by that, I don't mean money. I mean depth. If we can land him by merely dumping Ariza's contract, it's a no brainer. If it takes dumping Ariza and Williams, I'd still do it, but we better have a replacement for Lou in mind. If it requires dumping Ariza, Williams, and Anderson, I'd be a little hesitant. Not because I wanna cling to Anderson, but that's a huge chunk of the rotation to sacrifice in order to sign a guy like Hayward.

Thankfully I don't think the latter scenario would be necessary.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lol

Tha_Dude likes this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

You are usually pretty angry/aggressive and so ready to start calling people stupid.

onreego likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh ok, well i agree with this too, but i think Anderson plus maybe one/two guys at the minimum would be enough.

9. count_dough-ku

I wanna dump Anderson and his ridiculous salary for other reasons, but I don't think we'd have to move his contract to clear space for Hayward. Pretty sure the 14 mil cleared by Ariza and Williams plus whatever additional money available from the expected increase in the cap this summer ought to suffice.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, not sure their salary would be enough, maybe if you add a combination like Dekker/Trez/Nanu...

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Its a great fit for both parties. Celtics don't have to trade any assets, Gordon-Stevens, #1 seed, one of the leagues face franchises, etc.
    The only player we would need to dump to sign Heyward is Anderson. Then we can use Ariza to go get a PF replacement...maybe someone like Channing Frye.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

The dream scenario would be to clear cap space for Hayward dumping Anderson, after that, looking for a trade or a sign & trade for a 4 like Millsap (again, dream scenario), not sure Ariza + Lou and a couple of young guys salary would be enough, maybe not but it shouldn't be that far...or maybe the opposite way would work better (dump Ariza and Lou with few guys to sign Hayward and after that you use Anderson bigger contract for a sign & trade)...? Anyway, i mean, even if we would be forced to trade Dekker and Trez, if you can put this together:

Capela/Nene/Nanu
    Millsap/Dekker or Trez or Wiltjer (i guess at least two of them would be gone)
    Hayward/Williams
    Harden/Gordon
    Pat/someone

...you just do it...but yeah...

EDIT: just gave a quick look with the trade machine and Anderson + Trez works for Melo which is getting 25M basically...not sure if (and eventually how much more) Millsap is going to get more than that in his first year.

#392 Vivi, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Well that guy is

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Morey can look at Hayward all he wants but the smart money says that Hayward will most likely wind up with the Celtics.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Would be cool if @cyberx posted again in this thread. Just sayin.

16. onreego

onreego Member

Troll.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Butler, George, Hayward.

I feel like the Rockets need to get one of those guys if we want to even be able to dream of competing with the Warriors. (and Capela probably needs to take another huge step forward).

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Ok idiot. What a great comeback! You are on ignore. Thank God for that feature.

19. onreego

onreego Member

Well I successfully trolled a troll. Lol

Anyways, Hayward would be great but like some said, I don't see him leaving Utah unless it's for Boston.

He is the type of talent we need in order to get this team to the next level. However, Like @The Cat's podcast said we also need some more veteran leadership with post season success around Harden. Cause he still needs maturing. I think the McHale years stunted and stalled his growth.

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

@cyberx just letting you know I'm thinking about you

Vivi and Daddy Long Legs like this.