1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: McHale using Sampson's absence as an excuse for poor defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Apr 24, 2014.

1. cyberx

cyberx Member

With meetings with Morey after games McHale has been telling Morey and those around him that Sampson was the one who preached the defense AT practices and also made adjustments DURING games. Lucas has been trying to take the place of Sampson on the sidelines, but it has not been the same.

Morey understands making a change toward the end of the season should cause some confusion, but not like this.

Apparently Sampson kept Harden accountable.

Morey wants McHale to own up and is growing frustrated with the excuses.

5 people like this.
  2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

He getting fired yall.

3. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Morey better show some balls once this series is over. Win or lose, we're not going anywhere big with McHale.

4. bmd

bmd Member

Frustrated as in "I'm going to fire you if you don't pick it up" or frustrated as in "I want to win and I'm mad".

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

I still don't understand why there wasn't anything in the contract that prevents a coach (head or otherwise) from leaving the team in the middle of the damn season.

6. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Here we go, I'm going to start researching coaching candidates.

7. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Not the least bit surprising. McHale is 2 losses away from being fired.

8. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

He better fire McHale or Les should fire both of them.

9. cyberx

cyberx Member

This has made more of an impact on the game than anything else... more than a little trade etc.

This was a BIG deal (Sampson Leaving)

Can you not see the big difference?

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Excuses/Assholes thing.

11. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Guys - Keep McHale on, he can drive staff and players to and from their cars in a golf cart.

12. dianelo

dianelo Member

He's not a championship caliber coach. We shouldn't waste Howard's prime with a coach that can't draw up plays and ****ing teach defense. Period.

13. Summer Song Giver

Finch too would be a mistake, these players need someone established that they can respect and who will hold them accountable.... Doc Rivers like

14. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I would have to say probably both. I bet the way this series is going he is furious. McHale needs to man up and hold his players accountable as well as himself. If the players are quitting on him (they very well may be) then he needs to go. There is no excuse for the poor (or lack thereof) play calling, no defensive adjustments, not holding Harden accountable for his **** play.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If that's the case, then: WHY IN THE HELL IS SAMPSON NOT THE COACH OF THIS TEAM?! What do they even need McHale for? His amazing and unstoppable nonexistent offensive system?

Lol, I need a break...

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE IT'S CALLED A DOUBLE TEAM.

Just for that, fire him.

1 person likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL wow. He must want to be fired...

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Does anyone think that perhaps Howard and Harden are not getting along? I got a vibe last night that Harden was just dicking around because Howard wanted the ball all the time. As if Harden wants to be ball dominate and so does Howard but they can't agree to take turns or work together.

I could be reaching though but I just got that impression with the way they were acting towards each other last night. I saw one point where Parsons had to step in when Harden and Howard were talking.

19. conquistador#11

there is only one solution. Maury has experience coaching little league, that is good enough for me. Maury get your best suit and tie out and pull a Popovich. we need you!

20. basketballholic

I am truly puzzled by the lack of adjustments to the mismatches. We wasted a dominant start by Howard last night. Portland (and Aldridge) got everything they wanted back on the other end and by the time we took Howard out for a blow after totally trashing Lopez we were actually down a deuce. It's been obvious from the start of this series that Jones cannot handle either of LaMarcus or Lopez. Lopez just takes him right into the basket on the offensive glass and dominates him. And LaMarcus totally torches the poor guy.

And then the lack of matching up properly at the other positions also. When Mo Williams is in the game that should automatically mean Lin is in the game.

I don't know why you've got to have an assistant coach do that for you. All you got to do is look at video and you can see it. It's not like they don't have video of multiple games against Portland this season already. If I can piece together enough video from my home office to tell what matchups work and what matchups are killing us and have killed us throughout the whole season then surely the coach can sit down in the video room with all the defense and offense spliced together and do even better.

I don't understand why you need an assistant to make those adjustments when some of it is simply a matter of not playing certain guys on certain other guys.

1 person likes this.