1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Iggy pushing for his buyout - wants Rockets/Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 16, 2019.

1. mightybosstone

He played on a team with Durant, Curry, Klay and Draymond and still consistently posted above average assist numbers when he was on the floor. Harden and Paul didn't handle the ball literally every possession last season. And Harden and Westbrook won't either. At some point you have to run the occasional play or run your offense through another player, especially when one of those guys sits on the bench.

Melo was a low IQ player who struggled to play any other way than he's played his entire career and who didn't want to come off the bench. Iggy is a high IQ player and a veteran who's won multiple titles. Iggy has played on multiple teams where he's been asked to play so many different roles, and he knows how to mold his game to fit his team's needs.

Melo required big minutes. Iggy doesn't. Melo doesn't defend. Iggy does. I could go on and on...

OK, but what do you have to lose by signing Iggy, especially if he comes in for the veteran minimum? He immediately comes in and is one of the two best perimeter defenders on the roster, and if he never plays a single minute for the team, he's going to bring another positive veteran presence and provide input as someone who has way more postseason experience than everyone on the roster.

I mean... He was certainly capable of doing it in 2019. He posted six games of 15+ points in the postseason alone in 21 total games, including three against the Rockets. I'm not saying he's going to do that every game. Far from it. But is he good for double digit scoring every third game with the occasional offensive outburst? Sure. And the nice thing is he won't shoot you out of games by going 1-12.

fckbandwagons, Patience and YOLO like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Define “big part”....

Without even digging into everything I would wager he was no better than like the 5th or 6th(one series peak)important piece in beating us in any of the last years. And again some of these “big parts” were several years ago.

You are truly romanticizing a guy for him doing things against us that he rarely has ever done and expecting it to continue when there is AMPLE evidence of the fluky nature of his big moments against us.

Naming other players I don’t have much interest in either doesn’t really do much for your argument. At the very least they have youth and availability to actually bring them in easily going for them. Two things that would make AI much more appealing.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol. so in the game sending houston home a 38 min playing iggy who hit 5 3s and had 5 stls was no better than the 5th or 6th reason the rockets went home. boy i hope you're not a gambler. he averaged 35 mins in the series. you really need a reality check on what happened in that series

some of these takes are absolutely ridiculous and hilarious at the same time. was it fluky when he had the game sealing defensive possession on lillard? something hes done on several occasions. was it fluky when he hits big shots in the playoffs? something hes done on several occasions. all this fluky talk reaks heavily of loser mentality

they can have youth, who cares lol. they aren't any good and have an extremely low ceiling. saying they're young makes no difference and is nothing but a prior excuse. we're talking about a team that after rivers had to rely on shumpert to be the only other contributor for depth. and you're trying to act like iggy is some washed up player. lol give me a break with all that bs. for a supposedly washed up player, hes better than any of the guys the rockets bring off their bench by far

#203 YOLO, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Bshaud likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

1 game of a 6 game series of many series we have played them of an entire career where he shot 33% from 3.

The guy who views the 33% shooter going 5/8 as not a fluke handing out gambling advice. Cool

The thing is. For me. Iggy IS that garbage at the end of the bench. Capable of some moments, but I wouldn’t want him playing more than 14-16 minutes per game tops. Age has caught up to him whether you want to believe it or not. And that’s why his piss poor shooting is only going to become more glaring as time goes on because he can’t provide any of the other stuff consistently at a high level anymore. AND he’s an injury risk.

So yeah. Vet min. Sure.

Guy I’m really wanting and aggravated we haven’t gotten yet? Not remotely

This feels like DHouse uproar all over again. Turned out not so much.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

all i can say is just wow tbh at this point. these pre mature takes really got some people all over the place. And you’re once again pushing the goal posts

again im surely glad the org still values iggy very much per clutch/cyber. at the end of the day thats what really matters

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

As a vet min 10th - 11th guy. I agree

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For the vet min, for a few minutes a game, he can be good. But not more than that. And to rely on him despite his age, miles, and injuries? Not smart. But as an end of the bench vet min? Of course I'd take him.

Yes he passes well for a wing. I already mentioned that.

As for "he knows how to mold his game to fit his team's needs" didn't you say in your last post that the Rockets wouldn't have Iggy play outside of his normal role? That we wouldn't have him shoot 3s? So which is it? He does what he's been good at or he molds his game to fit our needs? Because that's what we need from wings: outside shooting. Westbrook is a non shooter. Capela is a non shooter. We don't need another non shooter on the court with those guys. Iggy is a non shooter. (Maybe some minutes with those 2, EGo, and Iggy at 4 could work.)

Warriors and Rockets play different styles offensively. Iggy won't get the same shot types here. And since he is a poor outside shooter... I'm not betting on him playing a large part in our success.

I don't think signing him raises our ceiling. Also don't think it lowers it, because we could just cut him if needed.

I don't want to sound too critical of him. He's been good, and can still have some good stretches on occassion. But he's not a difference maker anymore (getting counting stats because of minutes played doesn't mean much to me) IMO. I'd take him for the minimum, but that's as far as I'd go.

But it's the worst part of the off season and we need something to talk about. So, we have Iggy threads. I get it.

Williamson and amaru like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This. I totally get how people aren't excited by the idea of Iggy; I agree that he's not likely to move the needle significantly at this point. But at the vet minimum why the hell not? I definitely think he can be reliable for ten minutes here and there. As an end of the bench vet min guy there is nothing wrong with that at all.

10. mightybosstone

This is an old basketball team, chief. If you have a problem relying on old players, then should we just cut ties with PJ Tucker? Also, how much would they really be "relying" on him? Right now, they'd be going into the season without him and a pretty competent roster already. He'd be another piece, and if had to miss time due to injury, they'd be OK. They wouldn't be relying on him any more than any team relies on it's 6th or 7th best player. Also, he was pretty damn good for Golden State. Should they not have "relied" on him because he's too old and injury prone?

It's a team game, chief, so he has to work with this teammates, and they need to work with him. This concept of molding styles is not mutually exclusive; it needs to be a little of Column A and a little bit of Column B.

Who says they'll necessarily always be on the court at the same time? Maybe he plays in certain lineups. Or, hell, maybe Westbrook and Iggy improve their 3-point shooting to competent numbers? But, again, you're talking about a very low risk, pretty solid reward situation here.

Except you are being extremely critical of a guy who's done nothing but be a professional, versatile, championship caliber basketball player pretty much his entire career. A guy who would be taking a pretty sizable discount to come here, and who would bring a ton of positive qualities to the roster and address some pretty significant areas of need (perimeter defense, depth at the forward spots). And if he ends up signing for a portion of the MLE, Tilman has to pay the luxury tax and the Rockets end up getting hard-capped, so what? At least it would show that the team's owner is actually willing to pay for a contender (something he hasn't proven at all thus far).

You're acting as if the Rockets making this move prevents them from making some other huge deal out there to improve the roster. What deal is out there right now to be had? And if Morey ultimately adds Iggy, don't you think he's probably exhausted all other efforts to make that deal happen?

What's worse, us all wasting our time hoping the Rockets add a quality role player in Iguodala, or complaining about the possibility of the Rockets maybe spending more than the veteran minimum to add a guy who can pretty much only make the team better? I just don't get the point of complaining about it. Iggy is not Melo. The team will not self-destruct at the start of the season because they added him.

YOLO likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Most of this is irrelevant to what I'm saying. Some of it is repeating what I've already said, and is what we agree on. The rest is wrong.

My point is, playing with 2-3 all time great shooters plus a perimeter-oriented passing big man can mask the deficiencies of a poor perimeter shooter. Replace those 2-3 all time great shooters with two really good shooters (Harden, EGo) and one all time bad shooter (Westbrook) and replace the perimeter-oriented passing big man with a rim rolling big man who is a liability outside 3 feet of the rim, and I think the deficiencies of a poor perimeter shooter are more glaring.

So I repeat: for the min? Yes. But he won't be a big deal here.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Iggy would be huge for this team. Not only because I don't trust House on Bron/Kawhi etc, but because he'd help ball-movement a lot. Not only can he be a secondary creator, but he knows how to get the ball where it needs to go, and quickly. He may not play big minutes, but having him in our rotation would make a big difference, even at his age.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. mightybosstone

I don't think it was irrelevant at all, but whatever. It's fine; we can agree to disagree. I doubt adding Iggy will be the difference between a title or not, but it would certainly make them a better basketball team on paper. It probably will be a moot point, though. He still hasn't been released, and the Lakers still seem to be the favorite to land him anyway.

14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Morey, i know its you man. its cool tho, im a huge fan. lemme know if you need an intern. no but for real, good stuff, thanks for the insight.

15. alethios

alethios Member

Don't y'all forget - Kerr said it himself, if they had had Iggy in the '18 playoffs, they would have either swept us or beat us in 5.

16. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Sorry, bro. But intern, Assistant GM, President of the Future jobs are all taken by Tilman's sons

MrSabotage and tc0330 like this.
  17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

a man can dream

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You must not have watched the series. He was the only one on their team who could even slow Harden down. His defense was game changing.

MiddleMan and YOLO like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was a bit of a dick in my reply. My bad. Sorry about that. You were much more composed than I was.

Anyway, if I am wrong and Iggy is a contributor to a winner, please bump this thread and let me know that I ****ed up. I am wrong often and it is good when I'm reminded of that fact.

20. mightybosstone

No worries, man. I was probably overly sarcastic on my end, and it's totally fine if we just ultimately disagree on something. Ultimately this conversation will probably die anyway if/when Iggy ends up playing elsewhere. In the unlikely event he does come here, the results will probably speak for themselves one way or the other. But if it happens, we can pick this up then and see what we were right/wrong about.