1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah and they, the Imperial College, also claimed that because of summer more people will undertake outdoor activities instead of staying packed in close spaces with dangerous airconditioning.
    Didnt think this one through very much now did they? Outdoor activities in summer means to go to packed beaches, pools, waterparks and bbqs for most people.
    Anyway..the only way forward for Florida is a complete lockdown coz thats the only way to drop the Ro to manageable levels. The sooner they realise it the better, for them.
    Because it will happen one way or another. Either before more hundreds of people die or after.

One thing the NBA can do right now is raise awareness to mask wearing and social distancing.

The Cat likes this.
  2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I’ve said it before, but one of the biggest problems here after the dumb masks controversy is people slowly expanding their social circles. People seem to think that small groups are okay if it’s people they “know,” when in reality, any random group of 10-20 Is equally dangerous — especially if you go on some sort of vacation activity and spend hours or days together. (And then everybody goes back into their own routines and spreads it, etc.) I think it should help if even in a bubble environment, people still see the NBA guys wearing masks and doing all the distancing precautions they can.

As someone that hasn’t been out of the house without a mask (other than dog walks) since March and hasn’t spent significant in-person time with anyone other than my wife since then, it’s so frustrating to see. We can do this, some people just need better guidance.

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Also, a big F U to Hong Kong.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have potential for pocket ball.

#1604 daywalker02, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not going into politics but I guess it is wrong to assume what you said, that the virus is done with at any point in the timeline, may it be May......

From the POV of the virus, there is no letting up, they just hide for a new mini wave to erupt.

Of course you can refer to Europe.
    I would argue, some countries did better than others, and it was an advantage that they consisted of many independent smaller countries as borders can be closed swiftly, moreover many took the same measures, with exceptions of countries like Sweden in the beginning.

I won't say it's pure idiocy as you have implied, I dare to say the common American has less discipline, inhibition than for instance the common Swede, common European.

It's the way of their life.
    The Freedom to gather, socialize, party is of importance to many. (Not for guys like us obviously, I do not even have a dog to go for a walk with.)

PS: The people of the Bundesliga did well and had some luck, the 2nd and 3rd league got hit harder.
    I do not think because those leagues are less competitive, the measures are more lax.
    They play outdoors and do not compete inside a bubble.
    Playing and living in the bubble itself has pros and cons, but it's no guarantee at all, an outbreak can happen more easily once the virus slips in.
    The main culprit is the government and the fact that it's one large hotspot.

https://www.outlookindia.com/websit...on-in-europe-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/355606

#1605 daywalker02, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

#StandWithHongKong

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA Has Yet To Have Positive COVID-19 Test Within Bubble

The NBA has yet to have a positive COVID-19 test from within their bubble in Orlando as of at least Sunday afternoon, according to Brian Windhorst of ESPN.

"So, from what I understand and testing is going on constantly," said Windhorst on his podcast. "It's going on every single day. So I can't speak to the accuracy to this second, nor can I speak to the accuracy of it to when this podcast publishes and to when you hear this podcast. But from what I understand, there's been no positive tests in the bubble as yet. None of the people that have come into the bubble have tested positive. That's what I've been told."

The MLS, however, has had an outbreak of positive tests as they also restart in Orlando.

"Whereas in the MLS, there were people who tested positive immediately. I don't think they got them in there. This may not be apples to apples. This may be apples to oranges. The NBA may have done a better job getting their people in healthy."

HP3, D-rock, FrontRunner and 4 others like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

damn and that's with 15,000 cases yesterday in florida

HP3, D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  9. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Rockets forward Bruno Caboclo inadvertently broke quarantine at the NBA’s Walt Disney World campus and will be required to re-quarantine for another eight days before he resumes team activities, according to Tim MacMahon, Zach Lowe, Malika Andrews, and Tim Bontemps of ESPN

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's not like he was going to play. Still dumb of him.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Should have written and told him in Portuguese. Maybe they did.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Belated info on the Premier league.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1670563

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. malakas

malakas Member

Thats absolutely horrible news.

Didnt they say they test them before they left for Orlando?
    That means that they were presymptomatic = undetectable by all tests but able to infect their contacts

A proper protocol at this point must isolate , quarantine for 72 hours and keep testing every single member of their teams.
    They were travelling for hours by plane and bus and could easily have infected dozens others.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have posted the numbers from the premier league in another thread.

Although they kept the home and away venues without attendance, they recorded 6 positives in the opening week, then 5, then 4 and now every week they only test 1.

Premier League is progressing fine.

Basketball requires more body contact, so we'll await further cases.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

19. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

As much as I'd love to see NBA games again, this bubble re-opening plan is tone deaf (not to mention risky) given the state of the nation and global pandemic. Only in the US would they prioritize restarting NBA games and the millions in revenue at stake over creating and enforcing a competent national pandemic plan to prevent the needless deaths of tens of thousands of people. What type of message is this going to send to the average US citizen? It's fine to play NBA games but you can't leave your home except for essentials? We just re-enacted most lockdown measures in LA today and we're 1-2 steps away from Shelter in Place orders again.

malakas likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

I dont know where and how often do they conduct their test.

Fact is that two presymptomatics just spent several hours in an airplane and bus with closed airconditioning with 50 people each.

We better hope that they were washing their hands and were wearing masks all the time and not only when exiting the vehicles for the photos.