1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

I can see a good amount of wiggle room once you start getting to the draft stages. Especially with this being a rough timeline, It wouldn’t surprise me if it got stretched and the draft being later In sept or even early oct if need be. Next season has consistently been talked about for a Christmas time start which leaves plenty of room to stretch things out as far as finishing this year.

GradyMcTracy and pippendagimp like this.
  2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

True. But so do Jamie’s and knees and other assorted injuries. Except - injuries are ‘accepted’ as part of the game. This virus is just so dadgum ROGUE!

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The ratings are going to be up the roof, but the quality?!?!?!?!? There are some NBA players that play a lot better with a crowd and there are great practice players that can't hit anything prime time. I could see Robert Covington elevated to another level and Westbrook get bored. Harden will be Harden.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Regular season: 10 games. 4 games per week, 2.5 weeks.
    Playoffs: Average 5.5 games per series, 5.5 x 4 = 22 games total, 2 days per game, 6+ weeks

That's 8.5 weeks minimum. 5.5 games per series is a very aggressive estimate. Each round is as long as the longest series in that round. So the average length is more likely somewhere between 6 and 6.5 games per round.

I'd say there's no way they can finish before end of September if games starts mid July. The Labor Day target is totally unrealistic -- unless they plan on shortening playoff series to 5 games AND playing 5 games per week.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

There’s plenty of various scenarios. All depends on the actual final plan that will be laid out. There’s an assumption here that 10 games is going to be played by every team. I’ve seen that just getting to 70 games min as a benchmark is possibly the scenario. Bc that fulfills most of the tv deals in place. And that would be no more than 7 games for all teams, depending on how many games they’ve already played of course. Plenty remains to be seen but silver has said he wants all playoff rounds to be 7 games based on the most recent reports. The playoffs is ultimately trying to gear towards a normal schedule. While whatever reg season games will be played, probably will shift towards summer league scheduling, with games early and take place throughout most of the day

#425 YOLO, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If the regular season is for each team to play to 70 games, then it's 6 games, some teams 5. That's 1.5 weeks. (You have to wait for every team to finish before you can start the playoffs.)

The playoffs still takes about 6.5 weeks, assuming 1 day rest after each game.

Are they going to consider doing it baseball style, with b2b2b, or even double headers? That will kill the players.

I think end of September is more realistic. Then they can do the draft in October. A Christmas season opener is still workable.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mentioned the wiggle room once you get to the draft timeline in a prior post. Basically saying the same thing with end of sept or early oct ending in the op that was quoted previously

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not arguing with you. I just wanted to point out that the Keith Smith timeline is unrealistic, at least one month too fast. I don't know how he came up with that time frame.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

i know you're not. its just a rough timeline he said he got from a team exec. we don't have to take it literally haha. it's just nice to see some sort of updated breakdown of a timeline as we get closer to play actually resuming, well to me at least haha

hakeem94 and Easy like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I just hope that they don't try to squeeze the schedule and cut down the rest time between games. That would increase injury risk and might end up a decimated playoffs season within a decimated season.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Agreed. I just don’t see how the league can allow a guy like MDA on the sidelines with this going on. God forbid he catches this thing and has a negative outcome. Could you imagine the fallout?

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. amaru

amaru Member

Yea this virus is a game changer. It likely won’t take any players out but it can reek havoc on their older friends and families.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

sheesh, auto-correct (sic) ... HAMMIES not Jamie’s Who the hey is he? Mebbe he’s the new Chris Paul???

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think you are mistaken about that.

Russ does not play for anyone else but himself.

Maybe you are mistaking Russ for Steff.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I really wonder how they will "finish out" the regular season. There will be no way to balance out the schedule for the teams that matter. There is still a lot of playoff seed positioning that needs to figured out.

Everyone understands this season will have an asterisk, but how do they not let an advantages get out of hand?

Unless they use the current records to redo everything and go to some World cup bracketing system or something?

#436 rpr52121, May 22, 2020
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as homecourt advantage won't mean anything anymore now i guess teams are just going to play out the final reg season games for matchups now. i'd love to get denver, who won't even have the milehigh or deep bench advantage now

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

What bout this:

30 teams broken up into 5 divisions of 6 teams each.

Using current record before stoppage to break top 6 records into Pod A, 7th-12 best records into Pod B, and so forth.

Have a televised lottery to select 1 team from each Pod into Group 1, That Group plays 2 games against every other team. If there is a outbreak or something, it can be contained within the Group. If they have to cancel 1 game for each team in that Group, it doesn't affect the other groups as much.

Top 2 teams from each group get seeded into a playoff with either byes for best performing teams and/or Wild Cards for some of the best performing 3rd place teams in groups.

Teams then play knockout playoffs with Best of 5 first round, and Best of 7 for every round after that.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Issue is not home court, it's the seeding and match ups.

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Would this mean every team gets to sign more players to have bodies to replace those who get sick?

If so, does that mean the cap has to have new rules to allow for that?

D-rock likes this.