1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We can use the practice floor and the outside court across the street weather permitting. 3 games at one time.

Tfor3 likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

same here. there's a good buzz thats gotten increasingly significant in vegas from all the connects of mine there, that the nba will be there in july and continue the season in some fashion. multiple hotels are hoping to be the ones to host such as mgm/wynn etc. mgm owns over a dozen hotels over there so it seems they have some of the upper hand. The CC at Mandalay can have over 20 courts alone. and all the games will be alternating bw the T-Mobile Arena, Cox Pavilion, and the Thomas & Mack.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

quarter pounder with cheese

Deckard, Caesar, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I just don't understand. I know they want to get some more money and maximize a market that is starving for any sports.

But no matter what, people will put an asterisk on this season due to stoppage, limited games, etc. Whoever wins will never be considered a real champion in 5, 10, or 20 years from now. Unless it is the start of some dynastic run like Duncan's Spurs.

A real playoffs is just too long with too many cities and people involved. So many things could happen in that 6-8 weeks that could easily cause them to have to postpone again or just straight out cancel.

If they "must have something", just have each team play a few games to finish out the "regular season" but really to get players warmed up. Then just do a double elimination basketball tournament with all the teams to determine the 2020 Tournament Champion and donate half the money to charity or something.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are these old coaches like Pop and D’antoni gonna take the risk?

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Post of the year.

Deckard, Plowman, xiki and 1 other person like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You don't have to worry about that when it comes to Westbrook. And that rolls over to Harden as well SINCE THEY ARE ON THE SAME TEAM.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman faints?! He could conceivably host people in his hotel and score exclusive catering rights for teams.

10. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I wont believe it until Burt Steele confirms...

11. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I thought that too. Tilman is getting a 2" chub right now.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'll always love you, Daryl.

13. TilmanFinancialWindfall

At least we know Robot Ref won't throw games to help the Warriors win against the rockets for TV rating, like Tony Hitler brother and Scott you Ain't my brutha, but Warrior's lackey.

Let's get Robot Refs! We got Automated Driving, we got Real Doll, now we need Robot NBA refs

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but they are projecting 3,000 deaths a day in June...

Little Bit likes this.
  15. macan

macan Member

nice thank you cyberx!
    so now we have homecourt advantage rest of season!

Tfor3 and htwnbandit like this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can't just have a playoff game anywhere. It can lower revenue, nba action safety/comfort, and there is a lot of necessary technology of actual NBA arenas that you might be taking for granted, as reproduceable just anywhere.

While we can list the revenue, quality/safety and technology challenges of non NBA arenas, and try to solve them, let's take a bigger view of the discussion. When discussing logistics around temporary solutions, groups of people tend to look for the least amount of change to status quo. When in emergency, positions the leverage the status quo the most, and require the least amount of new challenges usually win out.

Due to revenue, quality/safety and technology solutions already in place, I'm betting only actual NBA arenas will host playoff games. That said, practice courts are important, too.

#36 heypartner, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

You can have playoff games in the same places the NBA has there summer league and playoffs and those places are mentioned. Especially when no fans will be there.

The Mandalay Bay courts were just mentioned as practice courts etc as an example. The WNBA hosts their event there every year

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Are those the same models that weren’t even in the ballpark when this all started

Smacktle and Tfor3 like this.
  19. rockets13champs

In my opinion it would be super bizarre seeing a team celebrate in a quiet arena. But there’s a first for everything.

GradyMcTracy and Tfor3 like this.
  20. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Those are the PTOUSA models.

The variance for death per days can be anywhere from 0 (we got this contained. Everything is great! I am the greatest!) to 500,000 per days(DAMN DEMOCRAFTS AND CHINA TRYING TO STOP ME FOR 4 MORE YEARS. STUPID NEW YORK AND GOVERNORS NOT TAKING RESPONSIBLITY LIKE I AM). All depends on if he tooks his ADHD med