1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: DeAndre Jordan eyeing Rockets - will come at discount if Clint Leaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

DJ is probably desperate for a trade to Houston now because it allows him to re-up here at a discounted price that isn’t at a level below even average starter money like the MLE

hakeem94 and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  2. CALI_MOST_WANTD

I rather have capela. I'll take DJ as a backup maybe. But I like nene. Tarik Black still not sure if I'm sold on him yet. I don't get to see enough of him playing.

3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Some more new Potato Sauces

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i dont understand can you elaborate?

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I can if you slide into my DMs. Unfortunately I believe that you don't like me

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

if we traded for him we would hold his Bird Rights and could give him more than the MLE

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hakeem94 hates pen15? :confused:

You two should bond over some mead

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Thanks for clearing that up codman! So I guess dwight is off the table then.

Who are our targets?

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dwight has never been on the table since he was let go.

10. malakas

malakas Member

er "sources" said that Dwight was pretty much a cancer in Atlanta's lockeroom. Even the other cancer Shroeder was more popular than him.

11. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Do you not think Capela's value has been slightly inflated here? He's being spoon-fed bunnies around the rim/thru the high PnR by a couple of HOF guards in a D'Antoni system. He has soft hands, quick feet, and is an efficient finisher, but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of rim protection and defensive rebounding. How do you think a reinvigorated DJ would look in his role?

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

We're 16-0 with Harden, Paul, and Capela on the floor.

In fact our record this year shows that playing without Capela is harder on us than playing without any other single player, including Harden and Paul.

If these three guys are healthy (today will really be a challenge to the record I posted since we're going against GSW without Ariza and Greene and I think that hurts us more than them being without Iggy) they ARE the team to go to battle NOW.

The fact that Capela will likely be a much better player than Jordan in 3 years is just another reason not to do it.

That said, Morey is right about 100 times as often as he's wrong, and I know how much he values Capela. So if he does this and we lose out on Capela in the process, I expect Morey would have very good reasons for letting Clint go. I think they would have to be "this significantly improves our chances with LBJ" level reasons but not lesser ones.

Some have made posts that are very thoughtful and intelligent talking of how Clint doesn't scare guys and is sometimes ineffective. I would counter that every player has bad games and that DeAndre Jordan has certainly had bad games and that Clint is still 6th in blocks and 6th in rebounds. That's nothing to sniff at. Especially given that he's only 23 and improves each year.

Most impressive about Clint Capela though is his ability to grow by leaps and bounds each year. I think he will already be a better player than he is today in this year's playoffs and he may be the key to pushing us over the top. I don't have the same confidence in DeAndre Jordan and I don't have a lot of confidence he could be easily inserted into our system with better effect than keeping Clint who excels in our system.

It's a tough call, I grant anyone that disagrees with me that. To me it comes down to my long-held belief that Capela is as untouchable as any non-franchise player could be. That is due in equal parts to how he's playing NOW and how he much I expect him to improve every year to come for many years, while Jordan begins to decline.

13. Batman Jones

And again our record show that playing without Capela is harder on us than playing without any other single player. Can anyone honestly say they feel the same would be true of DeAndre Jordan? In each case we have great backup centers. But we really struggle when Capela is out even when Nene and Black are healthy. Would the same be true of DeAndre? I would say we can't possibly know that for a lot of reasons beginning with the fact we can't guess at what the chemistry would be like with our squad. We know we have a top center that enjoys amazing chemistry with our whole roster. How Jordan would relate to the team, how his chemistry with our guys would be, remains a mystery.

I honesty believe that keeping Capela is the better move for us THIS year. If I didn't feel that way I would be really conflicted. But I'm not at all. In a one-for-one swap, I would much prefer to keep Capela to trading him for Jordan.

If a trade comes with great incentives and maybe gets Anderson off our books or otherwise gives us a better shot at Lebron James, my thoughts on this change completely. I would still be heartbroken to lose Capela but I would understand it a lot better and could back the move if it means we have a shot at probably the very best player in the league. Short of any of that, I'm for keeping Clint as long as he's willing to stay.

14. Batman Jones

This is of course true as it would be of any center that had great chemistry with Harden and Paul. We don't know if Jordan would have that chemistry. But mostly I'm responding to point out the ways in which Capela has improved his game every year, in ways that have nothing to do with playing with our HOF PG's.

For the most obvious example, Clint was a serious hack-a-'Shaq' threat just last year. Teams could take him off our floor at will by hacking him because he was shooting under 50%.

Now he's shooting around 60% and he has taken away the hack. Harden and Paul didn't contribute to that. It's a way that, with the help of Lucas (as all players that struggle with FT's need help), he improved his game in a deeply significant way.

Moreover, my eye test tells me he makes at an even greater clip when the pressure is really on and the outcome of his FT's will make a serious difference.

In our most recent game he went 6/6 at the FT line for 100%. Can anyone imagine DeAndre or Dwight or so many other hackable threats we've fielded turning this around so significantly in one offseason? And it's not a fluke. He's getting better at his FT's as the season progresses.

I use that example only to point to the most vital intangible: Clint Capela excels at improving his game. It's why he's a MIP candidate and it has happened every single year he's been a Rocket.

Meanwhile, DeAndre giving you problems? Hack him. Any team can take him out of a game that way and he's 29 and hasn't licked it. Most players that struggle at the line never improve at it, no matter what they try. Capela licked that problem in one offseason when he was 22/23 years old.

That goes to character and to player value and it's not accounted for as much as it should be. I don't think there's a clear case to be made that DeAndre Jordan is more effective for the Rockets TODAY or in this year's playoffs than Clint is/would be. Next year, I expect Capela to be clearly better than Jordan because he's already virtually caught up to him and he's freaking 23. In two years, I think we would badly regret letting Clint go. But we might badly regret it as soon as this year's playoffs.

Again, I need another, better reason, than DeAndre is better than Clint today. Because first of all I don't believe that's a settled matter and second of all, since it isn't a settled matter, I do not want to be regretting this move next year which (if all this is is a straight swap) I think we absolutely would.

nomiz1987, hakeem94, ico4498 and 3 others like this.
  15. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Need to see what DJ is willing to sign for next season. But I agree that Clint won’t be traded for DJ this season. He may be let go for DJ signing here, but he would be traded this season at the deadline.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Chemistry matters and the only reason I'd consider it is to get rid of Ryno, but even that would mess with chemistry. Capela just needs to show some toughness every night and back up his talk about the Warriors every single night from now on. Love the confidence from this young man, but we need him big time in the play-offs so let's see what he can do and see about DJ in the off-season.

nomiz1987 and hakeem94 like this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

:) even if Dj isn’t traded here I would be happy if he leaves LAC.
    I don’t like the clippers, Doc and Austin and Blake is a whiny lil bich. And Harrel has been kinda obnoxious lately I liked him before he wasn’t like that. Glad they lost against the wolves. It was a close game.
    Blake turned it over twice after complaining. Kinda blames Lou for his bad pass too.
    Anyway I hope they lose a lot and same for okc :)
    Dj would be great here but for the right price and if Capela asks for way too much.

bilaal14 likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member