1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

I don’t get how. The salaries would match at that point. KLove and Capela make similar. Butler and EG are off but some fillers can be added and a third team involved. We can go over the cap to resign Rivers and if he accepts, DJ for the MLE. No?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eh. I expect him to opt and sign somewhere else, but don't let this article phase you. Woj reported that CP3 had opted out before he got traded here.

luckyman76 and J Sizzle like this.
  3. seeingred

seeingred Member

Lolwut?! Did you block out the pre-CP3 years? In the playoffs, watching Harden as the only playmaker was like watching a bear get dragged down by a pack of wolves. Our ceiling with only 1 playmaker is the 2nd round *At Best*. Harden plays too much as it is - if he has to go back to initiating the offense for every possession, he'll wear down in April.

I wish Paul was 4 years younger and made $15 mil/year less, but swapping him with an off the ball shooter is a step back.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No …. it isn't if you have a player similar to Rivers who can facilitate the offense when Harden isn't on the court.

We didn't have that before - we had PatBev - Loved the guy but he couldn't create for others.

Now that's not to say they bring Rivers back ….. I think he gets paid more than the Rockets are willing to spend but ideally you have a star at the 3 or 4 spot and a competent point who can spell Harden for short periods. 29.25% of the cap for one or the other to play off the ball is silly.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think the difficult part of adding Butler would be that it’s basically like adding another Harden or CP3...a player that would be at his best with the ball in his hands.

It’s why EG is so valuable to this team...he can be equally effective off ball as he is on ball.

That’s not to say you don’t trade EGo for Butler...you do. But I don’t think the improvement would be commensurate with his talent.

Kind of diminishing returns...like bottling up Steph because Durant needs his touches too. GSW is a better team with Durant, but not a significantly better team. Only 1 guy can shoot the rock.

Now if you could get someone like Horford to play the 5 and find a legit SF that could contribute against GSW (whether or not he starts is irrelevant), I think that would make a bigger difference than a Butler / Ego swap.

whiskeyred, mikol13 and Corrosion like this.
  6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Bring him back to Texas

7. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Can Tilman buys him without trading our starters? I guess KD may join LA. also bring back Ariza for defence

lw17 likes this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

We're not going to know anything for a month. It's less important what he does with his contract and more important if you hear any of his teamups have worked out. If you keep hearing KD/Kyrie done and Kawhi staying in Toronto or going to LAC with Klay then look for this option to heat up. To me its #1 NYK, #2 LAC, #3 game on.

10. basketballholic

Interesting. That's exactly why I want Butler. He will help conserve wear and tear on Harden and Paul.

I'm convinced that if Butler forces a trade here that he is a significant upgrade and will be a great move forward. It will mean that him and Harden (and Paul) have already talked and worked out the on/off ball and usage dynamic. I would fully expect Harden's scoring to dip a little from this year, his and Paul's rebounding numbers to take a hit but all three players efficiency metrics to go even higher with Harden finally getting his turnover count down to below 4 a game.

roslolian, Deuce and Vivi like this.
  11. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Kevin Love will make 29M next season. Clint Capela will make 15M. Thats about half. Not similar.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

The problem with this is that if CP3 goes down (which is something we should very well expect at this point) we would desperately need another player who's able to carry the team, and tbh, maybe even if he doesn't...Harden alone won't be enough and we saw that.

Horford is still good and i still love him as a player, but like Gordon, he's not a guy who would be able to help Harden carry the team. Butler on the other hand can do that, and he's just way more consistent than Eric, this aspect is a bit underrated imo. And don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of Eric, i actually think he's a bit underrated, but we know he's great in some games, in others he kinda disappears or just doesn't get the job done, Butler will always be there and make big plays, you can always count on him, that's big imo.

Regardless, there's also a chance that if Butler wants to come here, we can still trade Clint instead of Gordon so, who knows...if we can get a solid replacement for Clint and sign to an extension Eric, i'd be super ok with that, it's probably the best scenario for us in terms of asset managment, but we really need to know if Gordon is on board to sign an extension, otherwise i'm not sure it makes sense to move Clint and keep Eric, i feel like that would be too risky...even though we could still trade him during the season or hope he changes his mind.

lilbird20 and Deuce like this.
  13. mockster

mockster Member

While butler may do well with the ball in his hands he’s actually pretty content and does well without it Aswell from what I’ve seen. He’s use to being the 2nd and 3rd option his whole career

roslolian likes this.
  14. justtxyank

Yeah I've been making this point but most don't agree with me. I said it last year about Lebron as well.

The underrated part about the Golden State superstars is that they can all be spot up shooters and move without the ball willingly. That makes them fit seamlessly. It's almost unheard of really.

Butler would make us better, but in key moments I'd rather Gordon on the floor on offense if Harden has the ball than Butler. You have to have shooters.

whiskeyred and YOLO like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Opting out is what Butler will tell them. That is what has to be believed for the 76ers. THEN if he says he will not resign and they lose him for nothing...that gets the Rockets back in play with returning an asset.

Not saying Butler will play that game until the end....but the first step is letting 76ers know he is opting out .....and can EASILY sign elsewhere.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Underrated and important aspect to Butler is he is the best *clutch scorer* over the last 4 years in the NBA.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

My intuition tells me that Jimmy Butler will be a Rocket next year

BHannes2BHonest, mikol13 and JuNx like this.
  18. foggy94

foggy94 Member

19. justtxyank

I don't believe this. I think maybe we create more drama around leverage than there needs to be.

He doesn't have to do anything but tell them: "Hey, I'm not staying. If FA gets here I'm going to go to Brooklyn as a FA. I'd rather go to Houston so try to work out a trade and I can opt-in. You've got 2 weeks."

Corrosion and Relativist like this.