1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it's crazy MDA is on the hot seat.

What specifically is he doing wrong? What adjustments do people want?

To me it's on the players. We see shades of past playoffs in harden and Paul so far.

justtxyank and HP3 like this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The offense actually got a lot better after KD went down, but unfortunately so did theirs, even more. The issue was that we couldn't defend/rebound at all, not the offense.

Elephant810, HP3 and jordnnnn like this.
  3. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

My only request is that Tilman and Morey should be forced to rewatch old McHale and Bickerstaff coached games for a few weeks before they make an MDA decision. MDA isn't perfect, but there are soooo many bad alternatives that could find their way into his seat.

4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Not sure about butlers fit next to harden....I’m not sure he would be happy with such a ball dominant player, and if he’s unhappy, he can destroy a whole locker room very quickly.

I’m not sure MDA should be on the hot seat...I mean, talent wise, I’m not sure who could get any more out of this roster. We are not a stacked team guys.

burlesk and Sadboy like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t think it sends a bad message. He’s 1 of our few assets, plus he’ll be a free agent next summer so who knows if he’ll even be here going forward.

Hard_foul likes this.
  6. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

As much as I know this is the Morey analytics blah blah, I think it may be time to take another look at this. Not to say let’s not shoot 3s, but instead of 45 per game, maybe like 35 and mix in some higher percentage midrange. At least, with this personnel. I like EG taking them and Harden can do his step back, but I’d prefer CP3 and some others midrange. Most of our 3s off passes from CP3 or Harden are wide open, and we still connect like 30-35 percent of the time. Can you imagine if we had what GS does spotting up when James draws the defense? The team would shoot 40% from 3 regularly. I think we need to mix it up, jacking up 50 3s has not gotten us over the GS hump and I’d rather get midrange 2s to go along with a healthy amount of 3 point attempts as well..

So bring him on, in other words :D

7. xaos

xaos Member

Or already waiting for the winner of Denver/Portland with Butler. There is that legitimate perspective. That's not to say Gordon hasn't been GREAT.

Hard_foul and Vivi like this.
  8. gotsis

gotsis Member

Why not play Nene in the second half with Capela struggling? Why ride Cp3 most of the quarter when he couldn't do anything right? Why not urge Harden to get in to sets earlier?

I know we could do a lot worse than MDA and in the end, the players (specially our 40 million dollar man) is to blame, but MDA has had a "adjusting on the fly" problem for a long time.

9. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

MDA has his faults and I don’t agree with his lack of adjustments but the finger should be pointed at Morey for not bringing in quality FA’s that fit MDA’s offense. He keeps giving up all of our first round draft choices to bring in a bunch of washed up over paid players. Shumpert? Are you kidding me! I’ll admit he’s playing OK by hitting a few shots but his overall play since joining the team is what he’s done since coming into the league... overall poor 3-pt shooter, defensively plays okay but not elite, and can’t finish at the rim. Then Morey goes out the signs an overrated aging Chris Paul to a $60 million 4-year contract. WTF?! Chris has never been a great 3 pt shooter and he’s starting to show his age with his lack of energy and inability to get past players. We’re stuck with him, though.

I would also point out that Morey had plenty of opportunities to sign quality free agents in areas of need but he passed on them. People ragged on Rodney Hood when we needed a SF, but he signed Ennis and a washed up Carmelo. Hood a great career at Utah and although he didn’t do well playing next to LeBron he’s killing it in Portland right now. He’s a SF shooting the 3, rebounding, and play good defense. We also needed another big but also passed on Enes Kantor, who is also playing well in the playoffs, and signed two PG scrubs from the g league that are sitting on the bench. Again, people weren’t big on Kantor but he’s playing exceptionally well for Portland as a rebounder and guy that can score down low.

Honestly, all this talk about signing but there is a joke. There’s no way he’s coming here and given that we don’t have any cap space and virtually no trade chips. It ain’t happening.

#29 RocketOrg, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    cheke64 likes this.
  10. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

You just mentioned 2 great coaches that there's no way in hell they get fired so why even talk about them?

11. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

who cares what message this sends, he's been here for 4 years and it's about time to upgrade if we don't take down the worriers, or do you really keep Gordon on the team just so we can look good league wide?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As good as Butler is, he isn't consistent enough for me, but he is probably the 'easiest target' as Klay won't join the Rox.

Neither would Durant for now.

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Not fired but traded. Doc Rivers was traded from Boston to the Clippers. He was considered an elite coach then and just signed an elite level extension. That's why i said possible but unlikely available. Thanks for the thoughtful response though.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm even confident in Morey's ability to scrounge up a good bench if he had to decimate our roster to bring Butler in. I just don't see enough cap room with Harden and CP3 already maxed, and those two aren't going anywhere.

cheke64 likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nene would get destroyed switching on curry. Granted capela did too but I think capela is better there. Who do you want instead of Chris Paul? Rivers was really terrible dealing with all the motion after Durant went down.

Getting harden into sets earlier? I don't think any coach can accomplish this. Harden is comfortable playing slow

napalm06, HP3 and gotsis like this.
  16. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Boston was going through rebuild. They aren't now, they found their young coach in Stevens and they'er going to build around him. Dallas ain't geting rid of Carlisli either they love him in there, plus you know dallas won't trade him to us that's for sure.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

Good, MDA should be on the hot seat though I am not buying it for even a little bit. Even with his coaching, if CP3 had shown up, we would’ve 100% gotten past GS

18. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

I guess its the whole not wanting to shoot 3s thing.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'd keep MDT regardless of this series as long as Bzdelik sticks around.

If not, I'd consider someone like Silas.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i used to be one of mda's biggest haters. he shouldnt be on the hot seat. no one really should but paul. he's supposed to be averaging a near double double. nothing mda can do about paul and capela.

napalm06 likes this.