1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, and he lost it to someone who checked down on every down and got sacked a few times.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Funny that Fitz might be the best of that bunch.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

Holy crap.

That's the most "glass half full" take I've ever seen in my life.

1 person likes this.
  4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Even funnier that if you added Matt Schaub to that list, he might be the best of the bunch.

5. Buck Turgidson

This is pretty much all I've got right now.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All I can say is that if Mallett is not good enough to beat out Hoyer, he wouldn't have been the savior everybody thought he was going to be anyways.

7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Indeed, the check downs drive me crazy. I actually live with them on 3rd downs, but to not take shots on 1st or 2nd down when DeAndre is streaking down the middle for a touchdown? Inexcusable in that first preseason game when Hoyer didn't even look his way on that. Hopefully he learns from it but I doubt it.

I am sure he will be captain checkdown and as long as he doesn't turn it over OB may continue to run with him. I still have hopes Hoyer will be slightly better than Fitz but only if he is willing to take some shots when he's got DeAndre or anyone else in one on one coverage. Give the receiver a chance to make the play. It is sad that neither QB even tried to take a chance or 2 to win the job.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's called Kool-Aid. Guess you didn't reach for a solo cup.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Now is a good time to check on the Texans 4th string QB:

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS RTG
    C. Keenum 7/16 164 10.3 1 0 0-0 102.1

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

The belly-aching expressed by some here of BOB choosing Hoyer is laughable. Mallet just doesn't have it. If he can't beat out Hoyer that should speak volumes.

Also, the idea of "rolling the dice" with Mallet starting the season makes no sense either. BOB has to believe the Texans have a chance at the playoffs. He can't act as if there is nothing to lose. Hoyer won because he gives the Texans their best chance to win.

Mallet will get his chance sometime during the season when Hoyer falters or the Texans fall out of playoff contention, so there is hope for your boy.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Not like coaches are always right either. Some players are perfect practice/preseason players but not the same performers during the regular season/ playoffs. Just seems with the texans that they just have to see the obvious fail first before making the obvious right decision vs just making the right the decision or taking on the risk from jump.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think "good enough" had anything to do with it at all. Hope I'm wrong but Mallett looked more promising in the preseason games than Hoyer did yet still Hoyer is named starter.

I REALLY hope that isn't true, but if Fitz plays like he did here last year, you are probably right.

13. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Not surprised. Hoyer just looks better running the offense. Not great but okay.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

why are people SO upset? Hoyer has seemed slightly better...if they're even close, that's a sign that the young Mallet hasn't grown at all. Which is bad at this stage. But it's not like one is a ton better for the team, so why upset?

Also, if you start with Hoyer (older guy), it's easier to pull the plug along the way and move to the inexperienced guy (Mallet), citing "let's see what happens". If you start with Mallet, you're kind of forced moreso to stick with him because he's inexperienced, so he needs more time to show what he can do.

In that way, this decision was written when they signed, as long as Hoyer didn't **** the bed

1 person likes this.
  15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Naw, even the Texans wouldn't have been that stupid.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not bitter at all. Fan base in Houston is being sold a fair QB comp. I've said for 5 months that it was never fair <a href="https://t.co/tigPDlLn48">https://t.co/tigPDlLn48</a></p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/635831925324673024">August 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It was always going to be Brian Hoyer. Now, O'Brien must win with QB no one in Houston believes in. <a href="http://t.co/ltQ2xIXtRl">http://t.co/ltQ2xIXtRl</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonChron">@HoustonChron</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/635826715869052931">August 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah I was thinking this too. Obrien went 9-7 in his first year buy lost to the Cowboys... and that one game could have got us to the playoffs then in year two you start a qb nobody in the city of Houston wanted to start... man the pressure is on. If this doesn't work it's going to be bad.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

BOB is either going to look like a genius or a total moron depending on how the decision to start a noodle armed QB that holds on to the ball too long plays out.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As I see it: Mallet has the stronger arm and can go deep but has accuracy issues with the short passing game. Hoyer has more actual game experience (especially after his flameout in Cleveland). He is better in the short passing game but less accurate when throwing the ball deep due to lack of arm strength. It showed on Saturday when he'd try to fit the ball into a tight space and lacked the ability to zip it in there. My gut tells me that BoB is going with experience in an attempt to run a conservative, risk averse offense (read LOTS of short passes to backs & TEs) with the intention of keeping the chains moving and hope that the defense can get a score or turnovers to give them a chance. It will be like watching paint dry at least until Baby Daddy shows back up.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So you meant to say we should fire Rick Smith immediately?