1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Bill Worrell being pushed out by Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 18, 2016.

1. TheresTheDagger

Bill Worrell IS Rockets basketball. What a horrible decision.

The only silver lining I see is maybe they will take the opportunity to dump Clyde as color man once Bill retires.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I grew up with Gene Peterson but I am with you as I grew up watching Bill Worrell. I swear that this upcoming season is setting up to be a complete disaster.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How do you figure the broadcast part is "suffering"?

The Rockets were hard to watch last year because they were a bad/mediocre team. Les is once again delusional about the really problems plaguing this team... the broadcaster is least among them.

Worrell is most definitely past his prime... but he deserves a similar if not greater fate than what the Astros are allowing Bill Brown to do (he only calls home games and the occasional road game). IN the end, Brownie is getting to leave on his terms. Worrell is a Houston broadcasting legend... he's far from the depths of some other broadcasters are when they are asked to step aside (mainly talking about guys like Milo Hamilton).

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Rockets broadcast is bottom 5 in the league and I'm a Rockets fan.

5. Garner

Garner Member

Frankly, at this point in his career, Bill seriously detracts from the product on screen.

He consistently gets names and information wrong game after game. We may all like the guy, but his performance last season was full of cringe. Ideally, Bill would have seen this and stepped down a couple years ago before he had to be dragged off the mic. Considering that doesn't appear to have been the case, then yes, the smart decision is to get some new blood announcing games.

This is a pretty straight forward situation.

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Les is probably pushing Worrell out the door because he was brutally honest about the team throughout the season last year during the broadcast. Worrell didn't hold his tongue about the **** effort and crappy play at times during the season. I felt Le$ would eventually take offense in some way.

7. hakeemthagreat

That's because the 2 guys next to Bill aren't anything special. I like Bull & Drex but theres nothing exciting about them. The Rockets NEED to put Calvin next to Bill and the broadcast will be epic again. Whoever they put Calvin next to on the halftime show looks good next to Calvin. Just imagine if he was back with Bill again.

P.S. Bill is GREAT in every aspect. Him not announcing games for the Rockets is unthinkable

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought he was worse 2 years ago... but the team being good seems to have led everybody to forget about that.

He's earned the right to be at the very least get to slow down, call home or select games only.

Also, if they truly cared about the quality of the TV product, they would never have let guys like Drexler anywhere close to a mic.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I've never understood the need for an embellished deep-voice PA announcer. I mean, can they not find a normal sounding person?

10. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

To hear Bill, I´ve paid premium League Pass in the past three seasons.
    Won´t happen again if he is retired by force.

Sorry Le$, lower League Pass income for you. (even if my contribution to it is only -1 cent :mad:)

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look, Bill Worrell is hardly the same as losing Gene Peterson, let's not get crazy here, he has been slipping considerably these last couple of years.

This is a decision I agree with, don't let him get to Milo Hamilton or Harry Carey levels, let him go out at 85% of what he was before he becomes a caricature of his younger self.

DD

12. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Got to trade him while he still has value!!

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I don't a flying F what Zach Lowe thinks about the Rockets broadcast.

15. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

the "the rockets have a lot of problems, broadcast is least among them" argument is such a weird one

youre saying they shouldnt fix one problem because they have other ones. the rockets shouldnt try to improve the concession food at toyota center because the team didnt play well last year

obv the people working on trying to fix the team are separate from the people who work on the broadcast

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nah, its the same owner... and this owner has a history of making bone-head decisions consistently.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why can't we get an owner like Vince McMahon

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nobody cares what you think. This is a sign that Les, Tad, & Co. care about growing their broadcast appeal outside of the Houstonian diehards. That's the point.

Trust me... I don't want to see Bill go. He's a legend, and the guy is about the only connective tissue left over from the championship era. He's also a great guy, and I hope the Rockets honor him like the legend he is on his way out.

That being said... again.. I understand that this move is NOT about appeasing the diehards from the 90's. Its about watch-ability with new growth fans, and expanding appeal outside of Houston most likely in the league pass era. From a business perspective, I understand. From a personal level it sucks.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The reputation of Les as a slimeball just continues to grow.

20. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

right as the owner of the team (and the dude that put up the capital to own a team) he approves or disapproves the big decisions that are put in front of him by either tad brown of daryl morey

sure you can argue that hes greenlit or cancelled basketball decisions that are questionable but the decision to move on from the broadcast team that is criticized fairly often is pretty reasonable

lets not suggest that he out of the blue said - everyone stop what youre doing on everything because i personally think we should fire bill worrell for no reason