1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Bill Worrell being pushed out by Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 18, 2016.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I'm no fan of Bill Worrell and have even advocated for his removal, but if true, this tarnishes the organization even further for me.

It's been a strange and difficult year for the Rockets. They made so many great moves, and suddenly it seems like they can't get it right. I equate the firing of Worrell to the Darth Vader "NOOOOOOO" scene. Just kind of ominous, perhaps tone deaf bookend to a miserable era.

2. arjun

arjun Member

Bill may not be the best announcer....but god darnit his voice IS ROCKETS BASKETBALL.

I grew up with his voice. I'm going to miss it dearly.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is very unfortunate. I agree it's time for Bill to leave but wish it was his decision.

Hope Les is handling this with class, but if Bill is uncooperative, nothing Les can do about that.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Well can't fault Leslie here, except that if the man wants to stay, he should freaking stay. You don't push a guy like that out the door, but not surprising since he did it with others. Also, if you are going to force him out, can somebody tell me why the **** we keep Drexler around? That moron is just as bad and worse.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Drexler is a consummate professional.

2 people like this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's sad. Even though it's likely true, I would like to think it's not.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Clutch has a store!!

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Exactly!

b*stard!

9. hvic

hvic Member

rocket employees are only assets and are replaceable

10. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

love bill for how great hes been for the org through the years but can understand the thinking that its time to move on

our broadcast team hasnt been great and its not just because of clyde

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man with common sense: The Rockets need to get much better defensively.

Les: I think I follow, how about we hire MDA, let Howard walk and then sign Anderson/Eric Gordan as replacements.

Man with common sense: But that just makes everything worse?

Les: I'll force Worrell to quit too.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Was never the same after Calvin got the boot, but this reeks of style over substance, but that seems to be the Rockets theme these days.

:p

1 person likes this.
  13. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

when cyberx uses the phrase pushed out it sounds really bad but at the end of the day worrell is going to be treated really well on his exit

theres a difference between worrell not wanting to hang it up yet and it being a contentious deal

i think that clutch had a nice situation with his exit no doubt worrell will be treated well too

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They need to get rid of Drexler and Bullard, bring back Calvin

1 person likes this.
  15. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

No loyalty!

I feel bad for Worrell, he's been so loyal to the organization for decades. In a sense, he's being put to pasture kind of how Les treated Calvin Murphy years ago with the false child molestation accusations.

Sux since Worrell has always publicly praised Les

1 person likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A guy who has been a fixture in the Houston sports world for over 30 years... and helped usher in the era of modern-day cable tv sports packages... should not be in the position to have to be forced out.

I would understand if he was fully incompetent (he's not)... or if he was making some unreasonable salary demands (doubtful).

But yeah... this further pushes the Rockets into the faceless/anonymous class of the NBA... they're not an elite team, they don't have one of the great coaches, and their star player has huge question marks and is generally disliked by the media.

1 person likes this.
  17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

think about this: everyone is probably being forced out!
    -Clutch the bear retires
    -PA announcer being replaced by Matt Thomas
    -Bill Worrell being forced out
    -not to mention - Kevin McHale is fired!

who's next? Keith Jones? we definitely need a new medic....

18. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

i understand his legacy as a part of the history with his team but for one worrell is at the end of his career and two the broadcast team has not been good.

infact awful announcing ranked the broadcast team as the worst in the league when the team isnt good i can understand wanting the things around the team to be good

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/the-nba-local-tv-announcer-rankings.html

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So you put your life into a company for decades, and your boss basically fires/replaces you, it's not as bad because he treats you really well during your last two weeks?

Come on man.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Really,

how can you forget to ask for Cynthia Cooper to be the sideline reporter and also with crazy Hilton as a half time show guest to use a chainsaw to cut off his kid and wife?