1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Markieff Morris is one step away from the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Feb 8, 2019.

1. aroundtheblock2

Yeah I'm not a fan of the kids taking over. I havent seen any franchises with 2nd generation owners really do very well. Knicks and Lakers come to mind.

Der Rabbi and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There's a difference between spending and investing. Spending is what Dan Gilbert did to win the title - he went into his person bank account to the tune of $15m+ (even after calculating big playoff revenues and merchandising) to pay a high amount of tax and bring home the championship. That money was never coming back. That's spending.

When you put in 2 billion and you know pretty much for a fact that that's going to be sold for $3bn in the not so distant future, and in the meantime you are making $40m+ per season in a mediocre year (this is before getting into the fact that NBA teams underreport their profits and non-basketball Toyota Center income is not includes) then that's investing and that person can be very cheap.

The way you can know if he's cheap is too look at how his businesses operate and the limits and rules he sets as owner. So far, Tilman talked a lot of **** about doing whatever it takes to win a championship this season, then decided to duck the luxury tax early. I have no doubt in my mind that if Morey - like the Cavs GM a few years ago - had his owner backing him on spending, we would not be arguing about the difference between Gerald Green and Danuel House and whether we can mount a challenge as a 4th seed. We would have bigger fish to fry.

The other thing to ask yourself is: which NBA owners are cheap? All of them paid hundreds of millions of dollars for their franchises at least. Most of them are paying similar salaries to us just for a playoff berth, and almost none of them have the luxury of an MVP on their team. You have to define "how does a cheap owner behave" to see it as an outsider.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just can't believe all the talent we have picked up off the scrap heap, NBA rotational talent.

Nice work Morey.

DD

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Mebbe the Lakes give us all their young'ns and picks and we be the Pels?

5. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

are we at the 2 yard line?

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who knows? I don't think so.

7. seeingred

seeingred Member

One step away from being 2 steps away.

8. biff17

biff17 Member

Luc, Tucker, Faried, Rivers.

are you saying Morris is better than all those guys?

9. biff17

biff17 Member

Great points.

He is also not as good as a perimeter defender as Tucker, which is a huge difference.

Morris is a better finisher which will open up a pressure relief when Harden gets doubled.

10. biff17

biff17 Member

Dude he overspent after he won the title and how has that worked out.

At least get your facts straight.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Any physiology majors out there know ... if you stretch 4 it, can you cover two yards with one step?

Ketchup&Mustard likes this.
  12. rockets13champs

He’s not replacing Tucker he’s coming to give him some relief

13. rockets13champs

Cheap Bc he is afraid to sign waiver wire guys. But he did spend all his money clear 3 roster spots

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Facts!

15. PeteChilcutBoss

PeteChilcutBoss New Member

Has he decided where he is going yet?

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Also Toronto apparently has entered the race for Markieff. Last I heard it was between LA, Houston and Toronto.

We also have a massive snowstorm here today so hopefully Markieff checks that and says “nah I’m good”

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Tilman used assets to dump players who gave us nothing and put us over the LT line. I don't know what the going rate is for 1st-rounders, but they're not cheap. 2nd-rounders, too. And Knight's contract had future value as well. Plus the cash he sent out had a definite cash value. ;)

I honestly think Tilman and Morey looked at the situation with Golden State and decided that winning it all this year would be tough, especially considering our poor start and likely playoff seeding. So they decided to make this the 1-in-4 year to come in under the LT and avoid the repeater, and then make an all-out push over the next three years to spend some money and win a chip or two while CP3 is still around.

Time may prove me wrong, but this seems like the sensible business approach to maximizing his investment in this franchise. Cross your fingers this year and hope a cheap buyout signs on and that we shift into beast mode in the playoffs, but otherwise set your sights on the next few years as our best possible window.

18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Man I dont know......GG should get playoff mins just because he can shoot lights out..... we will need it.

19. xaos

xaos Member

Great post

topfive likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't. I think yalls boy is cheap and we need to get used to it. #runitbackthoughright?

J.R. likes this.