1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Howard Also Considering Warriors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SidDaKid, May 23, 2013.

1. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

This should have marked the time when Dwight Howard could escape from everything.

He spent last week in Lake Tahoe fishing and riding dune buggies in hopes of clearing his mind before an unpredictable offseason once he becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1. Back in Los Angeles, things hardly seemed settled.

An ESPN report said Howard devoted part of a separate meeting with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak following his formal exit interview three weeks ago to lament how Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni made him feel "marginalized."

Kupchak said that didn't happen.

"Criticism of a coach did not come up," Kupchak said Wednesday in a phone interview. "Our coach did not come up."

Howard still experienced frustration with Kobe Bryant's demanding leadership style and D'Antoni's offense centering less on post play and more on pick-and-rolls.

Howard also labored through a surgically repaired back and a partially torn labrum in his right shoulder. Kupchak argued that largely contributed to Howard averaging 17.1 points and a league-leading 12.4 rebounds, his lowest numbers since the 2006-07 season.

"Everybody felt the season didn't go the way they wanted," Kupchak said, referring to the Lakers falling in a first-round sweep to San Antonio. "They all felt there are ways to utilize their talent better going forward. That would include Dwight."

None of this dampens Kupchak's belief that Howard will return to the Lakers.

"I'm

optimistic," Kupchak said. "Just look at what we have to offer."
    Kupchak then ticked off the Lakers' championship history, the team's fan base and the "lifestyle" Los Angeles affords. He also alluded to the Lakers' financial leverage.

Howard can sign with the Lakers for five years and $118 million or go somewhere else for four years and $88 million. The NBA's labor deal devised five-year deals to boast annual raises worth 7.5 percent of the first-year's salary, as opposed to four-year deals that have 4.5 percent raises. Howard wouldn't have to pay state income taxes for home games if he played for the Houston Rockets or Dallas Mavericks.

Kupchak also believes Howard will co-exist with D'Antoni, whom Kupchak has said will return next season.

"I have absolute and complete confidence," Kupchak said. "Players don't have to like coaches. They just have to play hard. In L.A., our coaches get evaluated on wins and losses and not whether our players like them or don't like them."

Kupchak won't have clarity on Howard's future anytime soon.

A source familiar with Howard's thinking says he plans to test free agency and has considered the Lakers, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Golden State.

Nothing remains binding, though. The source added Howard's main concern involves "what team he feels has the best chance to win championships, has the best team and system around him." The source also stressed Howard has not and will not ask the Lakers to make any moves on his behalf.

Kupchak acknowledged the team has made unspecified contingency plans in case Howard leaves. Either way, Howard can't officially re-sign until July 10 when a moratorium on NBA business is lifted

"The sooner he makes his mind up, the better for everybody," Kupchak said. "But I told him when he first got here, 'I'm not going to bug you. I believe this is the place for you. When you make your mind up, let me know.' "

After all, Kupchak believes Howard will end his NBA career with a Lakers retired jersey and a statue. Assuming, Howard continues wearing purple and gold, of course.

Said Kupchak: "He's going to have a great year next year."

http://www.dailynews.com/rss/ci_23302228?source=rss
    .....................................................................................................

If you were Dwight Howard, without any bias, would you choose the Rockets or Warriors based on championship potential? If this report is true, the Rockets biggest threat to getting Howard is hands down the Warriors. Do you think we can compete with the idea of playing with Steph Curry, Barnes, and Thompson?

2. SidDaKid

SidDaKid Member

{REALGM}

Dwight Howard is considering signing with the Golden State Warriors as well as the previously reported Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Atlanta Hawks, a source close to the player said Thursday.

According to the source, Howard's main concern involves "what team he feels has the best chance to win championships, has the best team and system around him."

Howard can't officially sign with a team until July 10, when a moratorium on NBA business is lifted.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

That would make Warriors really, really scary with Klay & Curry as outside shooters and being able to create. Also Barnes getting better and with Lee next to him. A bench of Jack, Landry, Bogut and Jefferson and you have serious contender.

4. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

So how would Golden State do this?

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

this....

I'm considering signing with the Heat, btw... for a full max level deal...

6. rocketblood713

I dunno im hoping this cap issue for the Warriors is real

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They'd have to amnesty Biedrins (assuming they haven't used it, i don't remember) and find a taker for Bogut/Jefferson expirings or more likely Bogut/David Lee. Possible I guess.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Even if they have to lose Lee, it would still be an impressive team. Curry-Klay-Barnes-some PF-Dwight. Scary and a ton of upside.

9. rocketblood713

and lakers are looking for expiring contracts Biedrins Jefferson and they would want someone like Klay

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Too bad there's this thing called a salary cap, guys. Dwight Howard's max is $20 million/year, roughly, and with a cap around $60 million, you'd need to get your payroll to about $40 million to have a shot. Golden State already has... $75 million in committed money. They're barely better off than Brooklyn.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm

I know, I know. TRADE!!! Except there's another tricky thing: there has to be a reason for the Lakers to make a trade. It won't be David Lee, because LA is prioritizing maximum flexibility in 2014 and doesn't need a 30-year-old making $15 million or more for the next three years.

The scenario of two expirings (pick two of Bogut/Jefferson/Biedrins) and courtesy draft picks also doesn't work: the Lakers aren't going to pay a massive luxury tax bill (taking in $20 million in salary) for a non-contending team while sending Dwight to an in-state/division rival, all for the sake of a late first-round pick or two.

The only way a deal is even remotely feasible is if Golden State attached Barnes and/or Thompson. But even then, I don't know if it's enough for LA, and even if it is, it would diminish Golden State's talent base significantly to the point where they'd be less attractive to Dwight.

I have no doubt GS would intrigue Dwight; they're a young team with talent in a fairly large market. Close to LA, too. But much like his Brooklyn fairytale last summer, it's not worth paying attention to, because there's no realistic way for it to happen.

1 person likes this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No they're not. They are looking to shed salary.

#11 REEKO_HTOWN, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So the Warriors would literally give up nothing, and acquire Dwight? Salary cap be damned!!!

13. The Cat

They used amnesty on Charlie Bell in 2011.

They'd have to find takers for $36 million in contracts without getting anything back in return. Not happening.

14. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Who cares..Howard isnt worth 18mil a yr..

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

One of the dumber uses of the amnesty I've seen.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

Nothing beats the Knicks using it on Billups.

17. rocketblood713

oh I was listening to ESPN LA to see what there saying about it and that's what they said but who knows

18. The Cat

Think this through.

If the Lakers re-sign Dwight, they're in luxury tax hell. They're potentially paying close to $100 million in taxes, all for a team that's not even a contender. That's why there's talk of them using amnesty on Gasol, who is still a really good player. That's how poor their situation is.

So why in the world would they accept salaries equivalent to Dwight and put themselves in the exact same situation, but with a substantially worse team? I mean, they'd be paying close to $100 million in taxes for a team that might win 25 games! Do you really see that as something they're interested in?

19. Nook

Nook Member

I would like to know how the Warriors expect to be able to afford Dwight Howard.

Biederins (9 million), Jefferson (11 million) and Brandon Rush are all certain to pick up their player options. Even if Carl Landry doesn't pick up his player option, you are at over $70,000,000 in commitments.

They can amnisty Biedrins, but still be short. That also includes losing Jack.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

They are planning for 2014 to lure Lebron or Melo. They would be willing to trade for expirings but not for Howard. Howard is the bait for those Free Agents in 2014.