1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: CP3 is willing to leave money on the table but will first let Morey work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Jun 20, 2018.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

"Hey guys, the source of this information is Dontaye Draper, a close friend of Carmelo. Dontaye is playing in Spain and is a friend of my cousin who works in the Betis basketball club. Apparently Dontaye Draper speaks on the phone very often with Melo and he would have said the following:

If Houston win the championship this season, LeBron would discard us from their list of possible destinations. The reason is very simple: Bron dont want repeat Durant´s history, he has a reputation and wants to maintain it.

Lebron wants to be the key player in obtaining a ring, he does not want to reach a champion team and strengthen it.

Thanks for reading, I had this information and I wanted to share it.

Regards"

Eddie Cecco's post about Lebron...

amaru and DonKnock like this.
  2. jayfree

jayfree Member

:eek:

BHannes2BHonest, hakeem94 and Tfor3 like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP's post has had me excited all day, I can barely think of anything else.

But I'm curious about CP3's environment . . . how exactly does his environment communicate? is it like the talking trees in the Wizard of Oz? or is OP's sources actually IN a tree? you know, like Bill Murray in Get Smart? Or perhaps CP3 is leaving clues in his environment . . . like a trail of bread crumbs that OP just found lying there on the ground.

Honestly I find the whole topic of environmental communication absolutely fascinating.

Why not?, jayfree and clutchdabear like this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, this is an EXTREMELY unlikely scenario.

However, it is possible. It would also explain a desire to go get 2nd round picks as those players count for the true rookie minimum.

If you get Capela at $20 million or so you just freed up the use of the tax payer MLE OR an increase for CP3.

But yes I'm with you, I can't see this happening. For me it's not the no salary back scenario for EGO and Ryan as much as it is Paul really taking that big of a paycut. I just don't buy it.

joshuaao likes this.
  5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Whooo Are You?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The only realistic way Lebron signs for his max will CP3 signs close to his max after next Tuesday is Harden is traded and since that WILL NOT HAPPEN.

Lebron doing a free agency tour might as well be a goodbye to the dream of Harden, Lebron and Paul.

7. Htowndg47

Htowndg47 Member

The crazy thing is everyone is saying that Lebron can take a pay cut , when there is no way LeBron can take a pay cut. Unless he signed for absurdly low amount(either out right or through sign and trade)that would keep us under the hard cap , we have to trade for the 35M+ contract he has.

8. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No, he could take a paycut as well to make it all work.

Same scenario, we deal Anderson and Gordon out for no space, renounce Ariza, etc. Lebron could take a paycut and sign outright here but for him the paycut would be ENORMOUS because we wouldn't have bird rights.

Let's say we got to $40 million in cap space through crazy dumping and Lebron and Paul decided to split it evenly. Next year Paul could sign for the max for 3 years but Lebron couldn't as we wouldn't have his bird rights. We could only give him the non-bird raise. So for him over 3 years he'd lose tens of millions. That's not feasible.

That's a big reason why none of this is practical. If he wants to be here the simplest way for everyone is the opt-in and trade scenario. The other scenarios require tearing down, moving parts, paycuts, etc.

Htowndg47 likes this.
  10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Eddie Cecco.....

Eddie Choucco....

Eddie Houcco...

Eddie Houseo..

Eddie House

Eddie House was an nba player we know. He went to Arizona State university where he played basketball..... James Harden went to Arizona State... Alumni brothers.... close circle.... Harden probably leaked to Eddie this information about CP3. Eddie must be here on clutchfans to spread the good news.

Take it to the bank folks.

BHannes2BHonest and Hard_foul like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I still think there is a chance that Lebron does an opt-in without a trade in place, which allows all of the main players -- Lebron, CLE and HOU -- time to get their best deals.

All that has to happen wrt Lebron agreeing to opt-in without a trade in place is that CLE promises to trade Lebron should they not be able to satisfy him otherwise, and in exchange Lebron promises to help CLE get the most back in trade, including the event of going to LA. CLE can get something from LA, if HOU remains a viable trade partner -- ie no SnT hardcap.

Works like this:
    • Paul tells Lebron that Morey needs more time to deal Ryan, and
    • Lebron convinces CLE he's serious he'd sign with Lakers, then
    • CLE realizes that an opt-in and trade is their best avenue *and* it even allows them to force LAL to give them something.
    • Morey convinces CLE there best chance to get most for Lebron is if they keep Houston a viable option in trade ... ie no SnT Hardcap

Why not?, Deuce, Richie_Rich and 3 others like this.
  12. LjGarci

LjGarci Member

13. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

This is welcome news, thank you OP.

14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I expect 4yr/120 for CP3 with the final yr being a player option

Or 3yr/90-100 with the final year being a player option

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i knew this is fluid even without op telling it ..its called common sense
    [​IMG]

thedreamsteam and supastevefoo like this.
  16. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Hadn't considered extending the window beyond the Opt-In date. That does make a difference.

Doesn't seem to me that it would change the #NewMath pressure on Cleveland that much, but options are usually better than no options. And definitely gives Lebron more time to warm up to the idea of Houston.

Yes, as I think about it, I can see how the S&T could help. Timing always matters.

17. Eddie Cecco

Eddie Cecco Member

There you go!

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Unless you're Kobe. ;)

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

The assumption would be EG+Ryno is the trade for Lebron, so there would be no extra incoming salary.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don't know man. That's way too risky for Lebron. Melo told NY I'll take a trade to Houston and two months later they still couldn't do it. NOT THE SAME THING, I know. But no way Lebron just assumes we're able to make it work on top of trusting Dan Gilbert to make good.