1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

It's not a concept if it is accurate.

Realy shocked you're any kind of food snob, at all...

2. Buck Turgidson

Use this recipe to make your stock, an HEB rotisserie chicken serves the same purpose as a turkey, or you can really just use the boxed chicken stock and pre-cut chicken pieces (saute them first) whatever.

http://www.mystatesman.com/lifestyl...ksgiving-turkey-gumbo/O1Baw9vNpHhfh2hVsgZNAL/

[huh, I just typed this out for 30 minutes, then I clicked off of the "edit post" window and it all vanished...so here goes attempt #2

Make stock, make roux. Peanut colored roux, it doesn't need to be really dark.

Then cook your diced veggies: 2 large carrots, 1-2 green/red bell peppers, 6 ribs celery, however much jalapeno/serrano/fresno/whatever hot peppers you want; in the roux for about 10 minutes

Then add your spices: 1 T good chili powder (you can grind up dried anchos/pasillas/whatevers if you want), 1 T cumin, 1 tsp lemon pepper, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp smoked paprika, salt, 5 minced cloves of garlic (disclaimer: I like my stuff spicy, so this is the geriatric version. Add more as needed. I do).

Let those get a little smokey, then add your liquids: 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (Rotel works too, depending on how spicy you want things), ~2.5 quarts of stock, 2 or 3 bay leaves. Adjust spice/salt levels as needed.

Boil, then simmer for 1 hour or so. Add your cooked/reserved chicken/turkey meat for the last 10 mins. When you're done, throw some cilantro and a little lime juice in, salt to taste. (I've also been known to, if I have fresh corn, put some 3" pieces in and let them boil for the last 10 minutes or so, or you could use a small can of the off-the-cob stuff)

Get some corn tortillas, cut them in strips, deep fry them in oil.

Serve soup with diced avocado, fried tortillas, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, green onion tops, hot sauce, lime juice or whatever the hell sounds good to you.

#62 Buck Turgidson, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    the shark likes this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

That sounds like tortilla soup with some roux thrown in...

heypartner likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Needs a thickener, more recipes call for some kind of startch later in the process. I like to just do it first.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

6. Asian Sensation

I went down to the cafe in our office building today and ordered the soup and sandwich special. Soup De Jour was Creamy mushroom. I was skeptical at first cause I was like there’s no way I’m paying for something I thought would be like Campbell’s cream of mushroom (nothing wrong with it... big fan growing up as a kid). Man, was I wrong. The soup was Soooo BOMB. Very rich and decadent but not too heavy. Tasted very gourmet with lots of depth for what I assumed was a few simple ingredients.

I looked up some recipes that seemed close as I MUST make my own. Seems simple enough and the ingredients sound right. I like looking at at least 2 or 3 higher rated recipes whenever I cook something for the first time to compare the ingredient list and steps then I can know whether to add, omit or tweak along the way. If you do decide to make this I think I tasted a little hint of celery... I’ll probably mince some up and add it along with the onions early on.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/09/creamy-garlic-mushroom-soup/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235589/chef-johns-creamy-mushroom-soup/

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm confused what this is, especially after your response to FFB. I guess since you had to type it up twice, something might have gotten lost in the redo.

Is this your tortilla soup recipe you mentioned on Page 1 that you'd type up, or is this some kind of post-thxgiving leftovers, gumbo concoction.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

You and Jim can just figure it out for yourselves. I thought it was pretty self-explanatory.

9. heypartner

So much for asking questions.

Snob cooks suck :)

#69 heypartner, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I have a yearly party where I cook a big ol pot of pho. I’d love to compare notes with anyone, especially any Asians who got their gramma’s recipes lol

Buck, have yo7 tried Pozole? It’s s fairly broad spectrum, you can really do it how you like but I love it the way my dad does it. Basically cook up a whole chicken, remove/strip the meat. Throw in a big can of hominy, obvious spices garlic, cumin, etc. it’s a spicy soup so that’s really up to you but I’ve heard of Anchos, arbols and guajillo peppers in any combo or preference. Throw in the chicken and let it mesh for a bit. Pretty simple soup wise, key is serving with limes, jalapeños, cabbage, onion, cilantro, and orange tostada chips.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Anyone have a good chilli with beans recipe?

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sorry to bump and old thread but I tried using a double roux for my gumbo and it turned out great. One roux for the dark rich flavor, and the peanut butter colored roux for the texture. I can't believe I didn't think of it before.

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

What did you put in your gumbo?

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The holy trinity

rockbox likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Pretty much. It was a shrimp and andouille gumbo.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Soup's On! And On! Thai Beef Noodle Brew Has Been Simmering For 45 Years

17. heypartner

Going to LA, tomorrow.

Asian "soups", here I come.

18. Buck Turgidson

Holy ****, I got the gumbo exactly like I like it.

Full test will be manana when I reheat and add the raw shrimp and crab. But dude....

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Remember me in your will ...

Spiced Chickpea Stew With Coconut and Turmeric

I make it in a slow cooker. I add 2 lb of quartered red potatoes. I server it plain or over rice.

And like any good stew, this tastes better the second day.

20. likestohypeguy

Pozole in menudo with the honeycomb tripe, and we're talking about my favorite breakfast.

In fact it's Saturday, this is happening.