1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry to say this Duke-Haters...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by DCkid, Aug 7, 2002.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

But the Blue Devils coud very well be back again next year grabbing all the attention. I think it's safe to say the "doughnut" is no more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Six minds, one school</b>
    Clint Jackson
    iHigh.com Correspondent

Dec 04, 2001 - Several years ago, Michigan University secured one of the best recruiting classes of all time.

Their superb five man class featured three current NBA players in Chris Webber, Juwan Howard and Jalen Rose.

And in addition to those three -- the Wolverines also signed an athletic forward in Jimmy King and a nice role player in Ray Jackson.

The "Fab Five" as they were called made a huge impact on the college game. Never before had the college game been impacted by such a talented and productive group of kids, right out of high school.

This year's class of 2002 has something that might be comparable to the bunch that landed at Michigan. Six kids from across the country -- from Oklahoma to Illinois to Pennsylvania to North Carolina to Virginia-- all had similar thoughts of attending the same school.

Here's the scoop on the six blue chip prospects, five of whom recently signed their letters of intent to attend Duke University (Lee Melchionni will walk on, so he didn't sign a letter of intent).

<b>Lee Melchionni (6'7 WF)</b> - While Melchionni is expected to walk-on to the team in his first year as a Blue Devil -- we still wanted to give our thoughts on what he'll eventually add to the team. He's a role player who makes the good pass, sets the extra screen and rebounds fairly well for a wing player. In the half-court game, Melchionni seems to excel. He knows how to rotate, move without the ball and can swish jumpers from mid and long range. He's got a good handle and has the ability to make some things happen off the dribble -- even though he doesn't show that capability often enough. He's one of the best 80 players in the country and attends high school at Germantown Academy in Fort Washington, PA.

<b>Sean Dockery (6'3 PG)</b> - Sean has a great feel for the lead guard position. He controls the tempo and provides his team with a sense of calmness when the ball is in his capable hands. He utilizes his quick feet and big frame to put tiring pressure on the opposing point guards and frequently pokes balls loose for steals and to start the break. Dockery has got some nice isolation moves when he needs to score and his cross-over dribble is very quick and effective at shedding defenders. His three-point shot is streaky, but he does have the ability to create his own, without a screen. He's one of the best 30 players in the country and attends Julian High School in the city of Chicago.

<b>Shavlik Randolph (6'10 PF-WF)</b> While some analysts tend to call Randolph a wing -- I think he's the best as a power forward who occasionally steps out to shoot the long ball. His injury ridden summer provided some onlookers with a false impression of the real Shavlik. He has amazing post moves, foot work and a soft touch on his shots. But he tended to drift away from the blocks this summer, seeming to want to showcase his long range jumper and perimeter game, but that's not the limits of his game at all. He is also a fantastic shot-blocker who rejects more attempts than you'd realize. He's one of the best five players in the country and attends Broughton High School in Raleigh, North Carolina.

<b>Michael Thompson (6'10 C)</b> "Big Mike" is a classic low post player who operates exclusively with his back to the basket. He really upgraded his intensity this summer and turned into the player that we all knew he had the potential to be. He's got some developing post moves, that he uses to score down low or draw fouls. And he's shown a consistent ability to hit short range jump shots -- especially from the baseline. A good low post defender, rebounder and he'll get his hands on some opponents shots as well. He's one of the best 25 players in the country and attends high school at New Lenox Catholic in suburban Chicago, IIlinois.

<b>J.J. Redick (6'5 SG)</b> - Redick is the best long range shooter in the country. He squares his body, gets great elevation off the floor and has a lightning quick release -- ala Dan Marino. And the fact that he's 6 foot 5 helps him shoot over smaller defenders as well. What we love about Redick in addition to his shooting prowess is that he knows how to create for his teammates in the set offense. He is always aware of his position on the floor and frequently draws the defense and finds open teammates for easy buckets. He's going to be a great scorer and passer in Duke's style of offense. He's one of the best 15 players in the country and attends high school at Cave Spring High School in Roanoke, Virginia.

<b>Shelden Williams</b> (6'8 PF) Williams is a true power forward with extra emphasis on the power. He's got a bunch of different ways to score including a strong drop step move, a jump-hook and a decent outside jump shot. He's very strong in his upper body and is able to get desired position on the offensive and defensive end with ease. Williams is also a great shot-blocker with uncanny timing and long arms that nearly hang to his knees. He needs to polish up some of the finesse things in his game -- but Williams is a beast with a pro body. He's one of the best 10 players in the country and attends Midwest City High School in Oklahoma.

Watch out for these guys -- they're going to make a big splash in the Atlantic Coast Conference next year.

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

Until he struggled with injuries, Randolph was tabbed as a candidate to go straight to the pros; now, most sites don't even have him in their top 10 prospect rankings, something that baffles me.

In any case - if only 2 of these players develop into top talents, Duke will be strong for the next 4 seasons. Needing only 2 out of 6, I've got to like those odds.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Duke haters are the ones who hate Duke more than they like themselves.

4. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I'm definitely a Duke hater, but I do not like NC either. I guess it is either a love or hate thing with Duke. Personally I go with Maryland I never had a college team until Steve Francis came to the Rockets.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Speaking of UNC...college basketball doesn't seem the same without the serious Duke-UNC rivalry, but UNC's draft class kicks major ass as well, so the rivalry should be back in full swing in a year or two. I predict both schools will win at least one championship in the next four years.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't think UNC will be able to retain their guys for 3-4 years from the incoming frosh class. If they leave early, UNC doesn't have the Duke-like depth to reload.

7. mduke

mduke Member

I've seen Shelden Williams play...pretty good player! That's all I have to say;)

and Go Sooners!:D

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Personally I think many Duke players and teams are often good or even great, but that doesn't stop them from sucking donkey balls in their spare time.

I would say the zeal some anti-Dukies take with them often nearly match the swelled heads and myopithy of pro-Dukies and many in the media who totally overrate their role players. The Duckies got spanked right out of the turny last year, their chief rivals grabbed all the marbles, and they lost their 3 best players--get over it. Besides, how many times has top classes not turned into champions--far more times than not actually. I’ll be enjoying watching the Dukies not meeting their (and the medias) unrealistic expectations again, but not as much as I will enjoy hopefully strong performances of team I like.

9. Jaybird

Jaybird Member

DCkid I'll take that bet.... :)

I'm not entirely convinced that Duke's cast is all that it's proclaimed to be...

I still think the doughnut will be in effect. Randolph will be a Dunleavy-esque player who playes face to the basket.

Then with Thompson and Sheldon, who's to say they won't turn out to be the next Casey Sanders and Nick Horvath? I've never bought into the ability of Coach K to develop big men. His two most recent standouts; Boozer and Brand were both talented and pretty polished when they came in as freshmen.

But that's not why I think the bet you're offering is a worth taking. :)

I don't see UNC having a chance of taking another NCAA title in the next four years. The reason being their Coach won't be able to get them there. Doh is a pretty good recruiter but he hasn't had much luck getting anyone to buy into his program or even keeping his players at the school. I don't see him as ever putting it together. I see dark days ahead of UNC for a while with him at the helm.

Plus the Maryland - Duke battles of late have been so much more interesting and heated anyway :)

10. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

One through seven North Carolina is the most talented team in the country this year. A lot of people talk (and right so) about the duke freshman class, but unc's class, imo, is more top heavy and just as deep. Of course all their good players are freshman or sophomores, but while that might not be great for them this year, it bodes well for the future.

Say what you want about doherty ability to coach, he's been the best recruiter in the country the last two years. And he's lining up another pretty good class this year, so obviously there are good recruits buying into his program. Unc's tradition is a lot bigger than doherty, and there is/will be, no shortage of kids willing to play for them.

You put an enormous amount of talent of the floor, like unc will have, and it's almost assured to at least contend. Once in the ncaa's it's a crap shoot and i wouldn't bet against talent, even if doherty is the coach of that talent.