1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sorry Rockets Fans... GS matches Offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by psyence, Oct 15, 2001.

1. psyence

psyence Member

Posted at 6:28 p.m. PDT Monday, October 15, 2001

Warriors match Houston's offer sheet to Marc Jackson
    By Matt Steinmetz
    CONTRA COSTA TIMES
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OAKLAND -- Marc Jackson will remain a Warrior.

The team will announce in the next two days it has matched the Houston Rockets' six-year, $24.375 million offer sheet. Jackson, a restricted free agent, signed that offer sheet Oct. 2, and the Warriors had 15 days to decide whether or not they would match.

By matching the offer, the Warriors will bring back a player who averaged 13.2 points and 7.5 rebounds per game last season and finished third in the Rookie of the Year Award balloting. However, Jackson has been very clear about his desire not to return to Golden State.

Jackson said Warriors general manager Garry St. Jean called him Monday afternoon and informed him the team was going to match Houston's offer sheet.

"I don't have a choice," Jackson said from Houston Monday night. "I have to do it. I don't have a say. If I had a say, I'd be (a member of the Rockets)."

Jackson, who played forward and center for the Warriors last year, gives the Warriors another big body in what now is a fairly deep frontcourt. Jackson will vie for playing time with center Erick Dampier and forwards Danny Fortson, Adonal Foyle and Troy Murphy.

Jackson said St. Jean told him the franchise simply could not afford to not match the offer and give up an asset for nothing in return.

"I'm very unhappy," said Jackson, who played in 48 games last season. "It's a great group of guys in Golden State and they're cool people, but I don't want to be there. They (management) don't want me, either, no matter what they say. It would have been great to be a Houston Rocket."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

:(

I figured this might happen. I guess the Rockets management should have tried to do a sign and trade, rather then simply try to get him for free.

Too bad they did not do a one year offer, then MJax would have been a true Free Agent at the end of this year.

Here is to hoping Cato can play.

DaDakota

#2 DaDakota, Oct 15, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2001
  3. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Not that I am doubting you, but what's the link to the story? Cause I've just looked at the Contra Costa Times web page and they don't have any story related to Marc Jackson, dated the 15th October.:confused:

Okay so I'm blind ;)

That really does suck:( (that MJax won't be a Rocket)

#3 Chuck04, Oct 15, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2001
  4. Thanos

Thanos Member

5. psyence

psyence Member

6. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    If they wanted him to keep him, you'd think they'd have matched sooner.

So either someone had something swell up in practice today, or some team made a deal to have MJax put on Xmas layaway.

7. psyence

psyence Member

So what are we going to do with Damp, Foyle and MJax up front? Fortson, Murphy, Blount ... that's a lot of beef.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Damn!!!!

So who do we pursue next with the injury exemption? Mase? Gatling? This is a blow, for sure.

9. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Well, they ain't all gonna play, that's for sure.

So maybe someone's hurt. Or maybe Blount gets waived (I figured him for IR duty anyway).

Or maybe they found someone who'd take a multiyear contract (Foyle?) in exchange for an expiring contract (the body attached to the contract probably doesn't matter).

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Mason please. Please, Mason. I want Mason. Give me Mason. Rockets need Mason.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

St. Jean is a f*cking p***y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I thought it was going to happen, but I didn't get my hopes up.

good thing I didn't.

13. psyence

psyence Member

Don't hate. Cato and Thomas is an awesome frontcourt in the West.

14. Thanos

Thanos Member

We can only hope that the Bucks are unwilling to pay the luxury tax and Mason decides he'd rather play for us instead of sitting out this year...

but that doesn't look very likely at all.

damn!

15. Thanos

Thanos Member

enjoy your stay for it will not last very long punk.

I see a ban for you in the near future.

and don't get your hopes up as your team is just getting ready for another long, losing season.

troll.

16. psyence

psyence Member

HA! a little sarcasm gets a ban in nazi clutch bbs I guess? Touchy touchy lord of death. Mason (especially) or Gatling would be a better pickup anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jackson headed back HOU's way in 90 days or whatever anyway. GS doesn't really want him, but it would be stupid to give him away.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The management at GS are freakin MORONS! Why the hell do they need another big guy? Especially one who hates em? :mad:

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm very disappointed,they should have let him go.It's obvious that he didn't want to play for them.I was afraid that they were going to match our offer.
    The next question is who are we going to go after next?
    There is another question that I have.Can anyone tell me do we have a first round pick next year or not?

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is the biggest steaming pile of crap I've read all day. Nice going, St. Jean. Now, you have a player who has no interest in being on your team. So much for that team chemistry you told everyone was so important. You ass!

20. psyence

psyence Member

They don't need another big man. They're just not going to give away something of value, particularly to a young team on the up in their same conference. That doesn't sound moronic to me. Jackson will do his 90 days w/ GS and then he'll get shipped off, maybe in a package for something they could use, or they plan to keep him and they move Foyle or Dampier.