1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soriano Claimed by Stros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketfat, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Major

Major Member

What exactly are you talking about?

The Red Sox and Yankees do what all the time? Sign players? Yes, if you have a huge budget, you can cover up more mistakes - the Astros don't have that size market.

As for Bagwell-Anderson, it is considered one of the worst trades of all time. That fits my definition of a dumb decision.

2. Buck Turgidson

Can't be on the 40-man, not sure what other criteria exists.

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Found it here

edit: I can't find anything that says they can't be on the 40 man roster. But the can't have played in the same league makes almost all scenarios related to my question, impossible. Especially if you take into account that waiver claim priority goes to teams in the same league before teams in the opposite league.

#63 Castor27, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  4. Pocket Rockets

aren't we the third highest in payroll?
    maybe the mets passed us, but still in top 5

Red sox go after players the yankees want and vice versa so the other team can't pick them up. Even if they are horrible players. Mortgaging the future, as you say, for temporary players happens all the time, if you don't take risks then you won't have a chance at a ring. I dont think its dumb, you just have to take those chances sometimes.

I dont regret the beltran, randy johnson trades at all, or the aubrey huff deal either because it gives us a shot, and as fans, thats all that we can ask for.

5. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

you don't consider john buck a major talent? i don't think there is any question as to if he'd be playing in ausmus' place today.

then again, the risk paid off in the short term, not in the long run though.

6. Buck Turgidson

Huh...learn something new everyday, thanks.

Also found that the following players have been the PTBNL: Jeremy Bonderman, Scott Podsednik, Coco Crisp, Moises Alou, Jason Schmidt, and David Ortiz.

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Me too.

Also I read that someone had traded Dave Winfield for a PTBNL. The teams couldn't agree on a player, so the team that got Winfield took the other team's front Office and Coaching staff out to a nice lunch.

8. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Good God! Don't tell that story to Purpura! He'll trade Berkman for 58 Whataburger lunchs and 33 Dairy Queen desserts. ... Because he's faaaaaaaaaaaat.

9. Ra Ooh La La

Ra Ooh La La Contributing Member

I totally agree with you on trading top prospects for risk. However, I'm simply saying . . . why is it risk? Can our organization not operate like the big boys in order to attract the big boys? Why can't we operate believing that we have exactly what a guy as good as Soriano needs?

Roger, Andy, and Jeff were homeboys. That was the selling point for them joining the Stros. Have we really ever attracted any all-world talent simply because we provided the financial opportunity and the dedicated philosophy of building a winner like a true first-class organization.

Can we not trade for him with the confidence in knowing that we are gonna be, at the very least, competitive in pay, just as dedicated to winning as the more storied clubs and just as dedicated to providing him with the tools, resources, and comfortable environment that will assure his success?

If we don't believe we can offer these things to obtain Fonso or any other upper-echelon talent, then offering a trade of anything significant would in fact be "dumb."

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would like to give up something small for him.

We still may be able to hang in the race this year.

If not, maybe we can keep him around longterm.