1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sore Losers: Its Comey....err..no its voter fraud...no wait its Russia!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

awww...you are "fearful" that you cant make sexist and racist comments and not have anyone call you out for it?

when people whine about "political correctness" what they are really saying is that they dont want to be called out when they say racist/sexist things. you have a right to say what you want, but you also should not be surprised when you get called out for saying stupid stuff.

seems like you're the one who needs a "safe-space" snowflake.

#41 jo mama, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    AkeemTheDreem86 and B-Bob like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I don't know enough about A-mans business history to be fair and honest. I do personally think a government leader's experience should involve experience in government... but also to be fair, there are former athletes (Bunning), former astronauts (Glenn) and so celebrity obviously is a a common thread among all of these I have named.

Being a "businessman" might be important as a qualification, but I think its also (and perhaps more important) to have experience dealing with government processes and agencies, working with others including those that have very different positions, and consideration of the larger good (not just the dollars and cents). One reason I would never support Carly Fiorina and I don't think I would support other people who have just a "business" background (eg, if Bill Gates were to run).

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

yea, all of that, and whatever else.

But first and foremost. Being a decent human being is very important. Can't believe we elected a d*ck head. Oh well, there is always a first. But hopefully never again.

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I have no issue at all with people criticizing him (or anyone or anything else in government)...this was exclusively focused on the group in your first sentence (which seems to be larger than you suggest, but may just be more vocal and getting more press currently).

While worrying at this stage is very appropriate (I share that, although probably to a less degree than those on the left), but it's premature to criticize actions that haven't happened yet. Express concerns? Sure. Speak as if those concerns have actually happened? No. I see a LOT of posts (not so much here, but elsewhere in the media) essentially speaking of the apocalypse as if it is a foregone conclusion. Given our system of government, one man simply doesn't have enough impact to make that happen, regardless of who it is, so speaking of it as a foregone conclusion is ridiculous.

My personal stance, as it has been on Trump going back to the primaries: Not my preferred choice, but I see things to be hopeful about, and things to be concerned about, so let's wait and see what he actually does, and how those things actually work out. He is philosophically probably one of the more centrist Presidents we've had in a long time (essentially a Democrat until very recently). Given that, he is probably more open to ideas from the left than many people think. As a businessman, he just wants to see things fixed. Although the Democratic media lambasted him for pointing that out, it is certainly true, and getting some of those things fixed is good for all of us. Will he? .... let's wait and see.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Nice thought, but open to debate. It is better to be a decent human being (regarding that...look at Trump's children, which are a far better indication of what type of person he actually is, and its hard to say he isn't), or someone who gets things done? All the great thoughts and ideas don't help a whit if none of them ever get done. Obama seemed to be a very decent guy, but didn't get very much done (and what he did get done most people don't like). Bill Clinton put forward a great guy facade, but easy to make a case he wasn't (see: Primary Colors). Both of the Bush's seemed to, Senior moreso than Junior---did you prefer them? So, I don't disagree it is important, saying it is first and foremost is, at best, debatable. Let's face it, truly decent human beings probably don't get involved in politics to begin with, so that's a pretty huge disqualifier. One could easily make a case that it disqualified Hillary, for example.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump is a bad example - i don't think he will get anything good done (and he's so much more than just non-decent). But that's a very fair and good question. My answer is decency is a must and without that, no, I don't go forward. I think it's very much the question of does the ends justify the means? I can fully understand the answer yes. For me, the way I have grown up, the answer is a clear no. The means is as, if not more important than the end results.

#46 Amiga, Jan 18, 2017
  7. NewRoxFan

Well, he actually has done a number of things already. Even if you ignore all the tweets, he has nominated a number of people for cabinet positions, including: a billionaire woman with no experience in public education, who wants to divert money from public education to private and religious school vouchers; someone who has made questionable (at best) statements about race to be attorney general; a congressman who questions the science of global change as someone to head up the EPA; someone with strong ties to the oil industry and who wants to eliminate the Department of Energy (the very department he is nominated to head up); nominated someone that made billions off the housing crisis to head Treasury; someone that wants to end the minimum wage to head up Labor, someone that was fired for incompetence and was/will be investigated for handling of classified documents to head up the NSA; an ex-Exxon billionaire with deep ties to Russia to head up State, someone with no related experience to head up HUD; and a self-admitted white nationalist as his Senior Advisor.

So for someone that hasn't done anything yet, Trump has been very busy, and each action is a major red flag and worthy of criticism.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Obama could not get too much things done because of our political system, it was designed to be inefficient most of the time. In our political system, it was, the president does not have to be a likable person (LBJ), but he should be presidential, at least act like that in front of the public, perceptions are important. There is a reason there are diplomatic protocols, do you think it is a good idea to get other countries mad at this country because our president could not stop sending out insults on twitter?

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, and I have no issue with people who question or have concerns about these things. Valid topics for concern/discussion. Much more valid than things he has merely said, particularly when he has stated himself that yes, he used hyperbole during the campaign, because it was effective (which is true). I think it is still true that what those people actually do is the real concern, but until then, bringing up concerns such as the above is all very valid things that one could have discussions around.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

re: Obama (and he has stated this himself) was run over as much by his own side as he was stonewalled by Republicans (an issue Trump will also face). But, the point still stands---unless one can get good things done, it isn't very helpful.

As for 'being Presidential'...don't disagree, and certainly an area Trump needs a lot of work on. All good to be outside the system, not good to not recognize that there is a time and place for everything, and those tweets....that time is probably never.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Isn't political correctness another way of saying being "Polite"?

What America did was elect Captain 4Chan, well done!!!! NOT!

DD

#51 DaDakota, Jan 18, 2017
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know what, Trump doesn't respect the office. He doesn't educate himself on the past and the history. He doesn't listen to intelligent people. He attacks our intel community, he insults 2/3s of the country, he viciously attacks people personally on Twitter, he makes terrible appointments, he is rash and reactive, he is being overly friendly to our main adversary, and pissing off our allies - and he acts like a petulant child when he doesn't get his way.

I am shocked and disappointed that people are more concerned about what House members are skipping his inauguration than all of the above.

13. TheresTheDagger

I know this poster personally and can attest that he is one of the most moderate people I've ever met. And yes, he did apply the same sense of respect to Obama.

Why would you jump RIGHT to questioning another person's character? Just to win an internet argument? SMH.

Astrodome likes this.
  14. DaDakota

Because if you apologize or try to justify Donald Trump, you lack character.

DD

15. TheresTheDagger

So you get to decide what the "test" is for character.

I see.

Hey everyone. DD was appointed by....???...to decide on the test for character. Just an FYI.

16. NewRoxFan

I don't believe I was questioning the posters character. In this thread he and I exchanged thoughts on a few posts, and I thought respectfully. If he did take it as a personal attack, I apologize to him, it was not my intent.

But in the post I was responding to:
    Reading his post, it appears he was actually questioning the character of posters on this forum?

My point was meant to be for all here... that if you criticize people who criticize Trump, you better have made the same criticism of those that criticized Obama. And vice versa.

17. TheresTheDagger

I appreciate your post here to clarify. BigDog63 tends to play Devil's Advocate in every argument. Once you get to know him from his posts here I'm confident you will see this is the case.

He wasn't being specific to any person.

In addition, his comments were directed only to those hypocrites who were calling out Trump pre election for abiding by the results and then after the election calling for recounts/impeachment etc.

18. DaDakota

Hell yes, I do......If you defend a man who says he grabs women by the p***y, mocks disabled people, and treats people like dirt, and try to justify that in any way, then YES, you lack moral fiber, character and integrity.

Those people are compromising their values and are hypocrites.

That is what the WORLD decided.

DD

19. TheresTheDagger

Judging others isn't very "Christian" DD. Are you compromising a value there?

20. DaDakota

Nope, I would not call myself a Christian - as I don't believe in mythology, but I do believe in doing what is right - and being honorable, and standing up for others when they are weaker, and being a productive member of a caring society.

And, I don't mind if I am more fortunate than others and have to pay more in taxes as it helps raise the greater good of the country I love.

Hell, I must be a Saint in some mythos.

DD

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.