1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sonics are shopping murray around: a possible trade deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bonr13, Dec 23, 2003.

1. bonr13

bonr13 Member

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2001820664_soni22.html

Monday, December 22, 2003 - Page updated at 12:00 A.M.

Sonics
    Notebook: Sonics are in position to do deals

By Percy Allen
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Their modest investments are quickly accruing interest and it appears the Sonics are in line for a big payday soon.
    With the win-now mentality of pro sports, their slow-developing plan hardly draws much attention among fans focused on the team's ho-hum 12-13 record and, at times, dismal December display.

But in the NBA, in which three blockbuster in-season trades have already occurred and many more are rumored each day, the Sonics are positioning themselves for a deal that could be comparable to last season's swap with Milwaukee that delivered Ray Allen.

Banking on the sweet-shooting Allen, their highest-paid player at $13.5 million this season, makes sense for the Sonics. But Ronald Murray and Richie Frahm have more than earned their paychecks while Allen recovers from right-ankle surgery.

At minimal cost, the Sonics have received maximum dividends from the high-scoring reserve guards.

"What we've always said is that this is a year of exploration," general manager Rick Sund said. "We want to see what they (Seattle's young players) can do given some real minutes."

Murray, a 6-foot-4 second-year guard, is coveted by league GMs because he's a mature 24 and ranks 21st in the league at 18.6 points per game despite coming off the bench in 10 contests.

Perhaps equally attractive is Murray's cap-friendly salary. He earns $563,679 this season and is due a slight increase next season.

And the emergence of Frahm, who scored a career-high 31 points in Saturday's 115-106 victory at Denver, gives the Sonics another inexpensive chip — $366,931 this season — that they can parlay into a big haul.

Frahm, a 6-5 guard, was the last Sonic to earn a roster spot during training camp but has worked himself into the rotation and is gaining fans across the country.

"The guy can shoot," Denver coach Jeff Bzdelik said. "He came in as a 50 percent shooter on three-pointers and we knew that as a coaching staff, but our players didn't. ... Now they do."

The folks in Minnesota said similar things about Murray after he downed them with a buzzer-beater last month.

Said one GM: "They (the Sonics) could dump some of those bad contracts if they parted with Murray."

Reserve center Vitaly Potapenko is making $5.7 million, the third-highest salary on the team. He's scheduled to make $6.2 million next season, after which his contract expires.

The Sonics accepted Potapenko's bloated deal so they could free themselves of Vin Baker's maximum contract.

Still, Seattle signed centers Calvin Booth and Jerome James as free agents, and it appears the Sonics overpaid based on current contributions.

James, who will earn about $9 million over the next two seasons, has started the past seven games. But at the first sign of trouble during games, he's banished to the bench.

Booth is a better fit at the moment, but he has three seasons after this one remaining on a contract that will pay him $34 million in total.

He is developing into a respectable shot blocker and would seemingly play better next to a back-to-the-basket power forward.

Since trading Baker, the Sonics have been linked to forwards Juwan Howard, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Al Harrington and Kwame Brown.

Sund, however, appears hesitant to orchestrate another trade like the one that dealt Gary Payton and Desmond Mason to Milwaukee and landed Allen, Murray and a draft pick, which Seattle used to select point guard Luke Ridnour.

He acknowledged Murray could be packaged with less-desirable players in a trade, but declined to say if teams have inquired about Murray or if a deal is in the works.

Sund is often said to be infatuated with Dallas' model of building a championship contender, but the Sonics' GM is also a fan of Sacramento.

The Kings built trade currency with offensive-minded players and dealt them for Chris Webber, Doug Christie, Mike Bibby and Brad Miller.

Allen's return gives the Sonics four shooting guards. Murray, Frahm and Brent Barry are the others.

Moving one of them for a power forward is a logical short-term solution considering lottery pick Nick Collison's expected return next season from shoulder surgeries.

Sund said he's committed to the plan and often talks about development.

"The worst thing we could do is move too soon," he said.

We could trade Cato and Jim J. for ronald murray and radmanovic
    the Rox gain better outside shooting and sonics get better rebounding. maybe the rox could throw in draft pick to quite equalize the deal
    i dont really know anything about the contract implications so can someone analyze it so we can know if this deal is really possible

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

It's not possible because of what the article you just posted said. The Sonics want to trade one of their bigs with a bad contract in any deal they make. They don't want another bad contract in return, and they don't want to give up Radmanovic. The salaries are also about $8 million apart.
    Good idea though...

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I know it's Rockets trade speculation, but I'd kind of like to see this thread in the NBA Dish. I'll leave that up to the admins.

Flip Murray sounds like Cuttino in that he's a terrific scorer, but with questionable shot selection. He might be a more natural passer though. However, we already have two scorers at guard in Cat and Steve and it doesn't make much sense to add another offensive-minded guard who needs the ball in his hands.

And like white lightning said, they want to get rid of a biggie and don't want to give up Radman. I'd think they'd be genuinely interested in trading one of their overpaid centers for Cato (our overpaid center), but have no interest in giving up a player of real value like Murray or Barry or Radman to do so, given Cato's contract size and limitations.

Lots of threads lately about dealing with the Sonics.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

To add to this topic, here is what ESPN Insider said about it all.

Sonics swap? There continues to be rumblings that the Sonics are eyeing a a trade for legitimate power forward.

The Sonics have a number of tradable assets -- Brent Barry, Ronald Murray, Vladimir Radmanovic -- that they can package with over priced players -- Jerome James, Vitaly Potapenko, Calvin Booth -- to clear cap room and/or add help to that glaring hole in the paint.

The names out there who could be available -- Kenyon Martin, Shareef Abdur Rahim, Al Harrington, Kwame Brown, Antonio McDyess, Juwan Howard -- have all been mentioned in this column before.

Are the Sonics any closer to pulling the trigger on a trade? Sonics GM Rick Sund is still feeling out his options.

"What we've always said is that this is a year of exploration," Sund told the Seattle Times. "We want to see what they (Seattle's young players) can do given some real minutes. . . The worst thing we could do is move too soon"

Actually, the worst thing Sund can do is wait too long and watch the trade value of some of his players evaporate. Barry has steadily went downhill the past few weeks and is now on the injured list. Allen returns tonight and will likely cut heavily into the minutes and shots that Murray takes. While Sund remains determined to stick with the rebuilding process and keep young players in the fold, the options are plentiful at the this point.

Among possible trades that could make sense for the Sonics?

Martin and Luscious Harris for Murray, Radmanovic and James: The Nets can't afford to pay Martin, but the Sonics could. The team needs a tough bruiser in the paint and Martin would be a great fit. He'll come at a high price. Murray and Radmanovic would give the Nets some dangerous offensive weapons and James would help the hemorrhaging the Nets are experiencing in the middle.

McDyess for James, Potapenko and Murray: The Sonics get a legit power forward for a run this year. If injuries continue to be an issue, the team clears $13.5 million extra off the books this summer and gives them around $7 million to play with in free agency.

Abdur Rahim for Barry, James and Radmanovic: Abdur Rahim is just 27 years old and would be a nice fit in the Sonics up-tempo offense. While Rahim isn't the blue collar tough guy the team needs in the paint, put him on the floor with Allen, Murray and Rashard Lewis and you have a team that can run with the Mavericks.

Harrington and Jamaal Tinsley for Murray and Barry: The Pacers have a glut of forwards and need help at the point and center positions. Murray and Barry might be the combo guards the Pacers have been looking for. Harrington is the type of young athlete Sund needs to add to the front court. He's tough, a good rebounder and a better than average defender. Tinsley had a falling out with coach Rick Carlisle, but he's still one of the best young point guards in the league.

Brown and Jared Jeffries for Radmanovic and James: Brown has been a flop in Washington, but many scouts still believe that he has enough talent to be a star on the right team. The Wizards need shooting in the worst way and Radmanovic could give them a big boost. James won't be a star in the middle, but the Wizards are running pretty thin on bodies.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

To add a Rockets slant....some ideas.....

Could the Rockets offer this to Atlanta if they have SAR on the trading block?
    I would say it is similar to the "proposed" Sonics offer above.

Mobley, Cato, Moochie + 2nd round pick
    for
    Abdur Rahim

To sweeten it for Atlanta you could substitute the Moochie + 2nd rounder for Nachbar, but I think we should get their 2nd rounder in return in that scenario.

Francis
    JJ/Pike
    SAR/Nachbar/A Griffin
    Taylor/SAR
    Yao/Meech

It kind of saps some of our depth, but we get a quality starting forward (20ppg 8rpg) that can play the 3 and the 4, something we don't currently have. We could then add more depth via FA next summer. SAR has a big contract but it ends before Cato's or Taylor's would. And you could sign him to a reduced contract.

Could the Rockets offer this to Indiana if they have those players on the trading block? I would say it is similar to the "proposed" Sonics offer above

Mobley and Cato
    For
    Harrington, Tinsley, Pollard

Francis/Tinsley
    JJ/Francis/Pike
    Harrington/Nachbar/ A Griffin
    Taylor/Harrington
    Yao/Pollard

Don't have the depth problem as the trade above but dont have a player as good as SAR either. However Harrington might turn into a SAR caliber player. Plus you get a solid backup PG in Tinsley and a nice hustle player in Pollard that can play the 4 or the 5.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The trade scenarios mentioned all look like possibilities. But, why does ESPN call Jerome James, Vitaly Potapenko, and Calvin Booth "over priced"? All of them make near the MLE (backup Center money) and any would be more than adequate in the EC. The 4th Sonics Center used to be Drobnjac who puts up decent stats as a Clipper.

Brent Barry, Radman, Jerome James and Flip Murray works capwise for SAR. If I were the Hawks, I'd be all over that. I'd start James at C, move Ratliff to PF (a more natural position IMO), back them both up with Mohammed, move Radmanovic to SF where he belongs, play Jason Terry and Murray as a dual combo guard tandem, and back up the guards with Glover, Stephen Jackson and Barry.

SAR, Rashard and Ray Allen sound impressive on paper. What happens with a Center combo of Booth and Vitaly? And a rookie PG (Ridnour)? Be careful whay you wish for, you just might get it? ;)

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GATER, I am not so sure the Sonics would give up Barry, Radman, James AND Flip Murray for SAR. The article above had that deal sans Murray. I agree, if I am the Hawks I make that move for those 4 guys, but I doubt that the Sonics offer all 4.

FYI, it should be noted that Barry is a FA after this season. Who is to say that he will stay with whatever team gets him.

Clearly the Sonics have a lot of guards they can deal. Having Ronald Murray and Richie Frahm overachieve for them has given them TONS of options to make moves. Those two plus Allen, Ridnour, Daniels and Barry and they are LOADED with guards. Something has to give here.

In my opinion, Ronald Murray has "bobby jackson" written all over him. Assuming he is traded whoever gets him will have a nice 6th man off the bench. I would be surprised if Barry and Murray are Sonics after the trading deadline. To me Allen and Ridnour are the starting guards with Daniels as the 3rd guard.

8. GATER

Especially an EC Lottery team. :D

If I'm the Hawks, James, Radmanovic and Barry are not enough value for SAR IMO. As you stated, Barry could leave so the trade is basically Radman for Abdur-Rahim. Perhaps this is why it's in ESPN Insider and not the front page of the USA Today Sports page. ;)

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Fair points. Then if I am the Sonics I offer James, Radman and Murray and NOT Barry. Then move Barry to some other team for more depth.

Clearly though, the Sonics have A LOT of players they can move. The same could be said for the Pacers with their SF logjam of Artest, Harrington, Brender and Croshere. Not to mention Tinsley is 3rd in the PG depth chart.

Those seem like the teams that can make some moves before the deadline.

The Pacers just seem like an ideal trading partner for the Rockets since they have an abundance of SFs and the Rockets have no quality starting forwards.

I would not mind seeing Harrington or SAR on the Rockets if the right deal came about.

10. GATER

Deuce -
    The more I think about it, the more Barry becomes very much less valuable to any team not seeking cap relief in 2004. Can Indiana even use him in their rotation? So again, Harrington for Murray?

Seattle is definitely in a position to make waves but they are also in a position to make a major failed decision locking up cap room for a few years (Rashard, Allen and SAR are all somewhat expensive...especially the latter two).

Given the range of possibilities, there is not much which would surprise me from them. In a stuperous state, I'd probably hope fro Rashrd, but we'll skip it for now...Rox trade thread mania has reached new highs lately! :)

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

For some reason I don't like flip murray, is he actually a good player? I haven't seen enough, I think he's too small to score night in and night out, you've seen how he disappears some days. He's no AI.

I don't know about Shareef Adbur Rahim either. How good is he against the PFs of the west? I'd have to see some tape, but I doubt he'll be much better than MoT.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I haven't watched Murray play yet and I wonder that his value is being exxagerated. He can score, apparently, but there's more to basketball than scoring. Remember when Sam Mack had those big scoring games and couldn't find a contract in the offseason?

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the Pacers could use Barry. I still think they are looking to improve their PG play. Anderson is the starter there by default. They could use center help as well. I would not look at Barry as just cap relief after his contract is over. I think he is a solid role player that could add a lot to a team looking to add better chemistry. Clearly he would be welcome in Houston. ;)

Barry does have value. He is a very nice combo guard that plays intelligently. If he gets traded to the right team I bet he stays there. Just depends on the situation, especially if he gets traded to a team on the rise or already in contention.

As for SAR's contract.... I dont think it is as bad as it could be. At least he is producing decent numbers (versus someone like Mo). Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt he have 2 more seasons after this one? That's not too long. It is large, but when his contract is up he wont ask for nearly that much on the next contract, plus in his last season his expiring contract will be coveted if SAR does not work out for someone.

I am not one to post a lot about possible trade scenarios....but I do like the idea of the Rockets trying to make some moves to get a quality NBA starting forward (small or power). And I think Mobley is the prime bait to get it done.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

One more thing. Any team that the Sonics are talking to with Flip Murray or Brent Barry trades in mind to acquire FORWARD tallent the Rockets should be doing the same via talking to the same teams with offering Mobley.

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

The Sonics should sign Eddie Griffin and give us Brent Barry and Calvin Booth for Maurice Taylor or Kelvin Cato and Moochie Norris!

I wouldn't give up Mobes, Cato, and Mooch for SAR...I would give them Cato, Padgett, and a 1st rounder for SAR.

Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward for Cato, Padgett, Moochie.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What'd Sam Mack score in his best year? 12 per game?

Murray is averaging 18.5 opints per contest. He's been benched for 10 games this year (that's 40% of their games so far) - yet he still ranks 21st overall in the NBA in scoring!

There is MUCH more to the game than scoring, but there are some teams out there who desperately need someone who can consistently deliver, and Murray can do that!

At 6'4 his size is a bit of an issue on defense - also his ability to defend is marginal at best (which is why he was benched) - but hey, Big Dog has made a living out of being an option on the offensive end only. I find it VERY hard to believe that Flip would have the same struggles that Sam Mack had....

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I posted this in GARM, but could work in this thread too. Not exactly what Seattle may have in mind, but they do get quality talent in return and would be a better team, imo.

Houston trades:
    PG - Steve Francis
    PF - Maurice Taylor
    PF/C - Kelvin Cato

Houston recieves:
    SG - Ray Allen
    PG - Luke Ridnour
    C- Calvin Booth
    C - Vitaly Potapenko

I'd do it if Seattle would.