1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something I've noticed that (might) not bode well for the Rockets...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Northside Storm, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Wait, you mean the loss of our starting center has weakened us against good power forwards? How could that have happened?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hmmmm, methinks this is a tad bit sarcastic.

:D

DD

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Buh, I'ma stop ranting about stuff, you sarcastic little itch-bs attack like everything XD.

But hey, in my defense (And to clarify some things), I think the Rockets have ALWAYS done badly against star PFs. With Yao or without Yao. Given that Yao had been removed, I thought the Rockets would do BETTER since Yao's role basically was limited in the case of perimeter PFs, to keeping them out of the paint, which resulted in tons of open jumpshots (ex: LMA's 10-25 game @HOU, wherein 20 of those shots were open 15-foot jumpers that LMA couldn't hit...still not excatly ideal defense.).

But, it seems like we're actually doing worse...despite the fact that now everyone is switching properly and there always is a man in front to contest, which hasn't always been the case (@BOS, final 5 minutes, KG). That's something I can't figure out.

Whether Yao is an asset or a liability in terms of this is kinda out there. I think he might actually be a pretty big liability against jumpshooting PFs (See: Al Harrington/Carlos Boozer/Kevin Garnett/Elton Brand). Problem is, even with good switching, the Rockets STILL seem to stuggle against teams with PFs to a surprising degree. Given how JVG and (assumably) Adelman's defense is based on keeping live bodies out of the paint, this is a problem that has to be addressed, personnel-wise or uh...otherwise.

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We difinetly stuggle against teams with star PF's and PG's. Rafer WAS bringing it and has now fallen back to earth. Scola doesn't have the strength or hops to contend. Landry is to small

5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Thats just simply getting killed in the paint

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Yeah, lets just conceded the rest of the games and tell Stern we don't want to play in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

7. ibm

ibm Member

the problem is not just we're missing yao. we don't have any allstar caliber pf and that has been the case for a long time now. scolandry has eased that probelm quite a bit, but still... so why would anybody be surprised we struggle (not necessarily lose a game each time) against teams with good pf's - with or without yao?

the only difference is, with yao in the lineup, much of the struggles in the 4 position can be eased or even totally covered, because yao is either an as big or an even bigger match-up problem at the 5 for the opposing team - both offensively and defensively. without yao playing, this problem get exploited to its fullest by the opposing teams, even though adelman is brilliant enough and covered our weakness quite nicely.

the only losses since yao went out have been to boston, n.o., and phoenix. not surprisingly all these teams have excellent to great pf's AND ALSO have good and decent centers. so we not only lost, we lost big. kinda proves my point.

8. Northside Storm

Sarcasm and hyperbole!

I'm not saying we should concede.

But despite how much stronger the Rockets are at PF, it is surprising to see this age-old curse get at the Rockets...again. There has to be at least some changes in that direction...otherwise playoffs will be tough. I can see the Rockets getting out of the first round...past that, anything else is just gravy.

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Yea but with Landry back that should be helped. Remember most of season Landry didnt play or played very little, I think we are ok for now. Lets just wait for playoffs, I think if TMac decides he wants to play, we are still a very solid team!

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Aren't all them teams problems for most other teams?

The Celtics are 55-14. Rockets are only 2 losses. Those other 53 losses, show that the rest of the league is having the same problem.

The same with the Spurs. Oh wait. We are 2-1 against the Spurs. Never mind.

The same with the Lakers. Oh wait. Never mind. We are 2-1 there too.

It looks like we are bad shape now that Yao is gone, but we were doing better than most of the league against these teams.

11. Northside Storm

That is true. But it's statiscally relevant that for a team with only 7 losses (past '08), 6 have come against contender teams with a great PF...and 0 have come against those who don't.

12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Come on, we play great TEAM defense. The reason we keep losing against teams with good PFs is because we're too freakin' small without Yao, obviously. Plus, although Scola is 27 he is STILL and NBA rookie and Landry is a rookie. Both need experience and they've been thrown into the fire since Yao went down. If Yao was playing now this wouldn't even be a discussion.