1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something I've noticed, Steve plays alot like Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cipherous, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, both are great players. Steve is like Kobe except hes not 6'7". Both can slash to the hole, beat their defender, awesome 1 on 1 players, good shooters (Although Steve is slumping), often tries to put the team on their backs. However, Kobe is a much better defender, consistent shooter and has the height to complement his game. Not to knock Steve or anything but hes no point guard. Do any of you guys agree?

I know Kobe is better, probably much better at this point. Both play almost the same game. The main point is that both players are scorers at heart and not real play makers. I think Steve should be playing the 2 position and let Mobley come off the bench.

i think Rudy has to change the system because it ain't working. He should change the line up

Norris
    Francis
    MoT
    Cato
    Ming

Or

Norris
    Francis
    Rice
    MoT
    Ming

I really hate starting Norris because he a big liability on both offense and defense. Maybe thats why Mobley always get 40+ minutes and Steve gets about 40. However, a change has to be made and I think we should change up the back court.

2. carayip

carayip Member

Moochie is simply not good enough for playing let alone starting. And as stated many times, Steve's simply not big enough to play the 2. Those SGs can post him up all day long and he can't get his shots off as easily against bigger defenders. He's a real dilemma.

3. sun12

sun12 Member

I posted in another thread that we should trade for a 6'6" good defensive, average offensive PG to complement SF, someone like Eric Snow who has played with a small player (Iverson), move SF to 2 and Mobley off the bench.
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53055

and sign a P.J. Brown PF at MCE to complement Ming. Our starting lineup would be similar to the one 76er used in their run to the championship 3 years ago. But our center is going to be a Mutombo with an offensive game.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

There aren't any 6'6" pgs who meet that criteria, anywhere. Eric Snow is the same size as Francis by the way.

As for Kobe, he's putting up slightly better assist numbers, actually, it's scary how similar it is. Kobe is averaging 6.2 assists and 3.7 turnovers. Yeah, it's freaky, if Francis were just 2 inches taller, I think he could put up similar stats to Kobe while being 6'5". Hell, he would probably have a couple of slam dunk championships too. At his actual size though, I just don't think Steve would work at SG. Iverson can do it, but the man is a freak. Francis isn't the scorer that Iverson is, nor can he make up for the problems on defence by leading the league in steals. All we can hope for is that Steve keeps working on his game. I don't think he put in the same amount of time this past offseason because he had to rehab his shoulder.

5. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

your right he is as good as kobe, except he doesnt carry team to wins, or score crapload of points on good shooting %, or get mass # of assists, but ya other then that they are the same
    haha :eek:

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Kobe both wants to and knows how to win. Francis doesn't.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Did you include the wanting to win as something francis doesn't?

8. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

i see francis like more of a starbury but with rebounding instead of quickness, but damn, starbury has been doing amazing this year while stevie seems to be hitting some kind of wall. ive also noticed that steves assists come from either simple passes or desperation throw outs after slashing. kobe makes better passes than that and even starbury, hell, the entire kings team makes better passes. i dunno, although stats are up this year, i still feel like his stock is dropping, those stats are very decieving

9. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

Francis wants to show people up more than he wants to win. He'd rather cross a defender over and try to make him look silly (which usually leads to him dribbling the ball off his foot, running the clock down, or putting up a low % shot) rather than make the simple plays POINT GUARDS are supposed to make.

Francis is not even in the same league as Kobe. That's like comparing Ray Allen to T Mac.

10. TraJ

TraJ Member

Eric Snow may be the same height as Francis, but I think he has a bigger build. I don't think he would get pushed around as much as Francis would in the post.

11. Axeman

Axeman Member

It's a stretch to put Francis anywhere close to Kobe. Kobe is ALWAYS under control, except for a rare case where he tries to force things. Steve, on the other hand, it RARELY under control, except for the rare case where he DOESN'T try to force things.

I think it's becoming apparent that Steve Francis is overrated. At least, that's what I'm starting to feel. Don't get me wrong, he is still a great talent. But, there are a lot of talented players that never learn how to harness their talent into something productive for their team. Steve is becoming one of those players with each passing day.

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

IMO, one of the major differences between Kobe and SF is that when Kobe dribbles he is able to look beyond the defender guarding him...he looks "through" or "into" the defense.

Steve Francis is unable to do this and it feel this is a severe Achilles Heel for a PG.

I hate Kobe's on court personna, but skill wise it's not even close.

#12 GATER, Mar 5, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2003
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

I think what makes me sick right now is that we have two Western Conference Starters. God Damn. We are no worse than the lakers in that regard. And we have skill players like Mo Taylor, Glen Rice, and Cuttino Mobley. All three can score 20 and all three have a skill. This is definately a team problem we have. They work so hard to score. But they have just as much talent as the Lakers.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They are both ballhogs who don't make their teammmates better... but Kobe averages like 30 ppg while Steve is down around 22ppg. Kobe's ballhogging will be more successful. So will Iverson's. Steve is a good, not great scorer.

15. Live

Live Member

Actually, many of the young stars play like Kobe & Steve.

Many young players feel that they have to dominate the ball to score.

That may be one of the reasons why a lot of teams don't run pure motion offenses, a lot of players just stand around and watch if they don't have the ball.

But a lot of them seem to be improving, and are learning how to play off the ball. McGrady & Pierce are already pretty good at playing off the ball, and Iverson has improved considerably with his move to SG. KG has always been pretty good without the ball.

And when I say playing off the ball, I'm not talking about "set a pick and roll\fade", but backdoor plays, curls, cuts, running off screens.

Just review the Rockets-Wiz game from last week, and watch the "Moving without the ball" clinic MJ put on the Rockets.

16. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

Replace Kobe with SF, and Lakers will have more trophies than MJ, even without Jackson.

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I hate Kobe, but if I were the Rockets I'd do that trade all day long.

Kobe + Yao + whatever PG you could get for Mobley vs an aging Lakers, an aging Shaq and a S1P2 PG. You must be joking?

18. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

Steve to small to play the 2 ??? He's 6'3 and Mobley is 6'4...not too much of a drop off.

19. idlel

idlel Member

Both are ballhog players. But fransis is not in the same league as kobe

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I cannot believe you guys are mentioning Francis' name in the same sentence with Kobe's. Now that is absolutely ridiculous. What is next?