1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something I noticed about Carrolls lack of trades for the better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robbieg, Mar 7, 2003.

1. robbieg

robbieg Member

Maybe its just me. I noticed whenever the rockets want to trade a player ,they only do it when he sucks and plays bad. Yet they fail to realize that other teams scout us and already know that those players suck.So the trades never help us since other teams are just as smart (if not more) than Carroll.

But whenever someone needs to be traded because of lack of chemistry or such,but he has alot of "upside" or plays well in spurts,such as Mobes or Eddie,the rockets are reluctant to give them up because they are scared that they will regret it
    You have to give up something to get something. In order to get a 17/8 guy in rashard lewis or shareef you need to give up a good player.But carroll is always reluctant to give up these "good" players . When he said that "teams only want to help themselves,not us". He was wrong. I would have traded francis for allen. I definately would have traded Eg for shareef.

Face it,without takeing BOLD decisions in trades this team WILL NOT improve. There are only three ways to improve basically, trades,draft,free agents.

The rockets cap is shot until summer of 2004 when Rice is gone. There is no draft pick. And they have proven they wont trade a tweener in EG or Francis' bud Cat no matter what. (insert Brand here).

Frankly,I see NO WAY of improving other than a coaching change. Well,we found out yesturday that that wont happen.Rudy still is convinced he can actually coach. Someone obviously hasnt told him the truth.

Heres what I would do,since I opened my big mouth.

I would trade this summer mobley and griffin for either ginobilli or brand. I would trade francis for brand or kidd. I would sign John barry or Brent barry to the mce. If brand signs the one year offer for clippers,I will sign him in summer of 2004 when rice is finally gone.

kidd
    ginobilli
    barry(either one)
    brand
    ming

Please tell me thats not a better lineup.Oh,and Jeff Van Gundy or the coach of that college oregon team would be the coach.

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

How in the world can you criticize the Rockets for not making "bold moves?" They traded for Francis. They sent three first round picks to New Jersey for Griffin. They made the deal to acquire Pippen. They made the deal to acquire Barkley, sending both Horry and Cassell to Phoenix. They traded our best power forward away in a season when we were woefully lacking inside presense to bring Clyde Drexler to Houston.

How many teams have been involved in as many significant, blockbuster-type deals as the Rockets over the past 15 years??? All of that was under Dawson and Tomjanovich.

There is more to it than just allowing players to develop or being afraid of the consequences. This year because of the luxury tax made it more difficult than ever to pull of any significant trades that stood to benefit the Rockets long term. I mean, in reality, only one "major" deal went down in the Payton/Allen deal with a few other minor or second-tier type trades.

In fact, most of the deals made this season were made for salary cap purposes, not for improvement.

Oh, and Brent Barry isn't a free agent this summer.

Besides, we DID make a trade this season. We were one of only a handful of teams that managed to pull off a deal that has been a benefit to us although, like the rest of the season, and inconsistent one.

I just think most people think making trades is like doing a deal on NBA Live. It isn't easy. It's hard and Dawson absolutely SHOULD be cautious and SHOULD be concerned about the ramifications of making a deal. That's just being responsible.

3. Sane

Sane Member

I like proposing trades, but if it were that easy, don't you think every GM would do that?

4. Toast

Toast Member

I can't believe we didn't pull off that Tito Maddux for Tim Duncan trade when we had the chance.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Trades are easy, just like dealing with the Clips (Sterling/Bailor). They hold a lot of cards for this summer as they did for the Feb deadline, and surprise stood pat.

The Rox need smarts. Know a smart player to add to this not so smart mix?

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So Ming, Francis, Griffin, Posey, Mobley, Taylor, etc, are all in their primes already? Damn, that was fast.

7. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

As a first post, that was terrible. As Jeff pointed out, if you have any clue as to the history of the Rockets, then the following names should jump out from the past decade:

Drexler
    Barkley
    Pippen

That is all you need to know to see that the Rockets are willing to take make a "bold" trade if necessary.

8. hamachi

hamachi Member

There are plenty of things to criticize on this team, but this isn't one of them. As a whole, the best, boldest moves in the league the past 10 years have been made by CD and the Rockets. There really isn't anything you can complain about at all regarding this facet of the team.

9. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

We've made A LOT of trades.

But man...Griffin for SAR would have been nice.

10. carayip

carayip Member

SAR made the max, about 13m I think, EG made about 2-3m. I still don't understand why people thought that there would ever be a straight trade between the 2.

11. aries323

aries323 Member

We would have had to give up Mobley and Cato/MoTaylor to get SAR. Hell No.

12. playahata

playahata Member

The Rockets do make bold moves. Who do they really need. If Eddie becomes the player they think he will be, who will they really need. A SF??? I like Posey, he's the perfect fit for the team. He plays the tough 'D' and doesn't need the ball. Griffin SHOULD become a really quality PF. Yao and Steve there is nothing to say about. That leaves Mobley, he's not going anywhere. This team is and will be fairly stacked. This is the proverbial young team that needs to mature. Steve and Cat are soon not going to be able to use that crutch, but please, with Yao and Eddie maturing, Mo Taylor returning to form, Stevie continuing to improve, and Cat tempeirng his game this team will be a force for years to come.

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I agree that Carroll does an amazing job of trading and coming up with major deals.

But, sometimes he doesn't sweeten a deal that has a chance ...

For instance, if I recall acurately, we almost made a deal with Toronto for McGrady, but we just wouldn't sweeten the pot to make it happen. If we knew then what we know now, we'd have thrown in 10X more. I remember <i>thacabbage</i> going ballistic over that situation. He really wanted us to get McGrady, because he was convinced he would become everything that he has. But, we got stingy.

I'm glad we didn't do the SAR or Hughes trade ... but the trade I wish we DID do, was Mobely for Brand, that Yao referred to. If we had to throw in 3 first round draft picks, a bunch of cash, maybe even Griffin, I would have. Whatever it would have taken to sweeten the deal and get them to make the trade. Make it too good to pass up.

I agree Carroll is very smooth, and comes up with deals where we really come out ahead, and he has the guts to pull the big deal. But, sometimes, he may not do what it takes to make the deal, because he may be trying to pull off TOO good of a deal.

Brand for Mobely ... wow, I REALLY wish that had gone down. Imagine Ming/Brand/Griffin/Posey/Francis.

14. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Uhhhh, first of all, why Oregon?

They're terrible this year.

And if you're going to say "that college oregon team", then at least give a name.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Ernie Kent. They aren't terrible. They only have 2 guys that are worthy of being a D-1 starter, Luke Ridnour and Luke Jackson.

16. carayip

carayip Member

:rolleyes: Errr... every GM in the league has done or not done some trades with hindsight he regreted. That's not a crime.

And Ming (in his real or fake interview) mentioned Mobley and Griffin for Brand. Mobley for Brand is only something in your dream.

Some people actually believed every rumor trade that favour our own team and then blamed our management not doing it without whether knowing if there's really an offer or not. :rolleyes:

#16 carayip, Mar 10, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2003
  17. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

That's because they weren't offering enough for him with only Duncan and Parker.

Btw why do you want to trade EG?His pbl is not chemistry but developpement.He's young...(this does sound old!)

ALA

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There was ever a possibility of McG coming to Rox? I never heard that. Damon, yes, tho I never knew what killed that deal. But -- Tracy McGrady? Is there such a thing as a truth to this?

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't ever remember any deals involved with McGrady. :confused:

As for the Mobley/Griffin for Brand rumored trade... I haven't heard anything substantial on that trade proposition. If I am the Rockets I make that trade. So the fact that it was not made makes me believe that it was never offered, or the Clippers were asking for too much or we were offering too little.

Francis/Brand/Yao would be quite a nice 3 building blocks for this franchise. You would have 3 all star level players who are all young to build on. Just fill the roster with role players and off you go!

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

While not as big, Kenny Thomas for Posey was pretty bold. KT was our most proven (not injured) and consistent PF. We traded him to basically clear playing time for MoT and Griff to assist with team chemistry. That is pretty bold.

Then on top of that, we picked up a contributor at a spot where we needed some help. Very nice trade.