1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something has to be done about Yao getting More calls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drich, Mar 25, 2009.

1. drich

drich Member

I am not a Yao only fan on here at all, I am a fan of the Houston Rockets and the players that suit up for the Rockets. Just wanted to say that before I say this.

Yao is treated by the NBA and the refs like ****, I didn't compare him to anyone but Dwight Howard just because they play the same postion.

Dwight Howard shoots the ball 12.5 times a game and Yao shoots the ball 13.3 times a game which isn't a big difference. Now here is the problem I have with the situation, Howard goes to free throw line 11 times a game and Yao 5.7 times a game.

Translation for everyone, Dwight Howard has has gone to free throw line 743 times and Yao 400 times. That is almost double and I know what most people will say, but there is no way in hell he should have that many more free throws than Yao. Yao get fouled on almost ever play and we all see this but this is just ridiculous.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/playe...AME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All Teams

http://stats.sympatico.msn.ca/nba/leaders.asp?year=&type=Totals&rank=006

2. GOAT

GOAT Member

damn dude that is a pretty big difference in FTA. You would think it was a little closer... Me personally would like to see Yao just go Hakeem on the NBA one year and get suspended a few games lol. Joking everyone calm down, but what is so funny I was just watching the Boston Orlando game and JVG said something about this

3. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Um, people avoid fouling Yao because he's a great free throw shooter. Dwight Howard is fouled INTENTIONALLY because he's a horrible free throw shooter. I'm surprised the gap isn't bigger.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think there are a few factors you need to consider as to why Dwight draws so many more fouls. (1) Howard is less likely to take a shot outside the paint or a fadeaway in the lane on his post moves (2) Howard gets a lot more shot attempts off the offensive boards, which is a great way to draw fouls, (3) Howard is a much worse free throw shooter, so teams are more willing to foul him.

Yao is drawing fouls much less frequently this year compared to past seasons. Why might that be? I don't think its because the refs are more biased against him.

#4 durvasa, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  5. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

There is not one answer for it because it is a combination of things. One, the fouls on Dwight Howard are more blatant because they want him on the line because of the percentages. So that plays a part in the difference.

Two, Adelman doesn't speak up enough for his players during the game. Just look at the rockets.com picture they put out for yesterday's post game story. Yao is getting fouled and I know he didn't go to the line on that possession.

And three, it's on Yao ... he needs to do his work early and get deeper position ... lately he's been shooting jumpers. He's allowing the team to dictate how he plays versus putting the onus on the team to give him the ball.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good analysis and explanation. Just watching Dwight Howard play, he gets whacked and smacked more than any player in the NBA (including LeBron). Unlike Yao, Howard rarely uses finesse to score.

On another vein, anybody notice Yao isn't picking up so many ticky-tack fouls on defense since chirping after the earlier Utah game? It used to be anytime someone jumped into him, a foul was called. Since that game, Yao has actually gotten away with bumping shooting and drivers on a regular basis with no whistle.

It's a step in the right direction.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yao has just a little less than Shaq, Duncan, etc. -- he's still in the top 20.

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

i have trouble agreeing with this part of your post..

9. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Dwight gets more free throw attempts because he deserves them. Yao Ming fades away from the basket to shoot. It's the opposite for Dwight.

10. jameshuabao

jameshuabao Member

yao is not american,that's it.its hard to say,but he can get calls on fiba 4 sure..

11. jameshuabao

jameshuabao Member

didn't u see our games?yao got hold the arm,pushed away,doubled or front all time,most of them its an obvious foul,refs just don't call it.Dwight get calls,because stern wants his american son overcome an international soft big guy..

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Have you even watched Howard play? When he gets it too close, teams often automatically foul him because sending him to the line means giving up an average of 1 point instead of a sure 2. This happens on a regular basis. If Howard were a very good FT shooter, he would get fouled less. Same thing applies to Shaq.

13. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Doesn't he have the Fave 5 on T-Mobile?

14. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

QFT.

I think most players play more rough on Yao, but are reluctant to go so far as to foul him and hope not to get noticed by the refs. His excellent FT% already warns away most of the players. #3 definitely comes into play when opposing coaches formulat the game plan.

I also agree with #2, because Yao rarely gets any offensive boards except for the easy putbacks, which are far and few inbetween. On the other hand, Dwight fights for every rebound.

I'd like to say that all Yao has to do is be more aggressive on the offensive boards, but this is where the huge gap between Dwight's strength and Yao's strength sits. Dwight has much more endurance than Yao, who gets tired easily...it's a matter of strength when FTA comes into play.

Officiating with Yao and Dwight may seem different, but if you mesh together their different playing styles in the paint, it pretty much evens out.

15. Hmm

Hmm Member

no no.. i was refering to the "teams are more willing to foul" part.. as if they shyed away from performing anything that would constitute as a foul against Yao..

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Same issue when Dream was playing, people complained that Dream wasn't getting to the line as much as his Center peers. They didn't realize that Dream's go to move was a fadeaway baseline jumpshot, he fades away from the contact.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Yao has to learn to take contact and dunk the ball, instead of fading away. He'll get more free throws that way.

The coaches should make him go one on one with Mutombo. After a 20 minute session, make him run a lap for each time he faded away.

18. Lovemachine2000

And on defense, make him run a full suicide drill for each time he tries to take a charge instead of going for the block :D

19. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

exactly. btw yao, look out for deke's elbow.

20. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Make Yao use the T-Mac Pump Fake. lol

[HTown]