1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something about Steve and Cato that must change next year.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Aug 13, 2003.

Tags:
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Last season, Francis was second in the league in technicals with 21. Cato was tied for second in the league in flagrants with 4.

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I don't mind flagrants too much. This team need someone to enforce from time to time. Cato was awesome last year (for what he was asked).

Steve can improve his techs though. Although I'm more intersted in his assist-to-turnover stats myself. ;)

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I don't think Steve needs to decrease his technical foul totals at all. If he steps up his game under JVG's new system, and becomes a better player, I could care less about him b****ing at the refs from time to time. At least Stevie isn't getting into fights. As for Cato, his flagrant fouls make him look even more pathetic. Although he had a decent year, he is in no way part of the top tier players in the NBA, and his flagrant fouls sometimes make him look like a chump. Enforcer.....nah.

Cod

4. SLA

SLA Member

And Cato's flagrants!!! WTF. There were horrible calls......that should not have been called flagrants.

We were lucky too though when Shaq got called for a flagrant foul in Yao vs. Shaq I when Steve Francis scored 44 points and led us to victory.

Steve....yes he needs less technicals. He is too annoying. He complains on everything. He does need to speak out at certain times...and point out when players are stepping over the free throw line while they are shooting. Some things are important to say. But he complains way too much. I guess that's his style..but he needs to be a good role model and leader!

And I hope our new coach speaks out when he sees an unfair call.

5. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

I've got no problem with Cato's flagrants.

The problem with Steve's technicals is that most of them are for stupid things like slapping the backboard or taunting or hanging from the rim or such. In other words, it's totally unnecessary. Like that stupid jump step he does at midcourt. He needs a technical for that.

6. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Cato does not have a problem with Flagrant fouls. 2 or maybe even 3 of those last year should not have been called flagrant. He is not a dirty player, he is not trying to hurt people. Cato finally found some emotion and drive last year and I say keep it up. Play hard and foul hard on occasion.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Steve is just unluicky with the refs... He gets call for absolutely nothing... Most of his T'sc come from hanging on the rim after dunking, and a lot of the times he isn't even hanging taht long. I remeber that phantom elbow he threw at stockton and he got ejected for.. he was gonna go for 50 that game... oh well.. maybe he will gain superstar status and get more calls to go his way.... He does complain somewhat, but it's mostly from hanging on the rim...

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Yes Cato had a decent year, but no one said anytihng about him being a top tier player in the NBA. He's only a serviceable C at best, a good backup, but definitely NOT a top tier player. No one said that he was. Still, this "decent" year is all that the Rox needed out of him. As for the fouls, the flagrants were not all "chump" fouls and did not make him look pathetic. The Rox are criticized for being a soft team, and he was the only one that showed any sort of balls on the court. And like people have mentioned, he's not a dirty player and there were some phantom flagrants called against him. And no matter how much you hate him, he is an enforcer. Second in rebounds per 48 minutes played only to Ben Wallace and a shotblocking presence in the low post? Yeah, that doesn't sound like an enforcer to me...:rolleyes:

9. Miggidy Markell

I'm pretty sure the jump step he uses is to call for a set play. The whole backboard slapping and hanging on the rim is done by many players in the league if you watch properly. He and Cuttino didn't get many of those last season so they improved on that aspect, stupid call by refs.

10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the Cato flagrants last year was when Kobe tried to take it to the rim and Cato knocked his a$$ to the ground. I loved it, Cato and Yao need to get physical every once in a while to let the opposing players know what might happen to them if they try to dunk on them.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

im not worried at all about either of those two things.

i want cato as aggresive as possible and he did a very good job last year. now i don't want him getting into thug territory where it puts another player at risk but i don't think he needs to tone anything down. he's pretty much our lone enforcer, let him at it.

as for steve, he b****es his share, but a huge chunk of his t's come from the stupid backboard thing and generally trigger-happy refs. these aren't rasheed-style technicals we're talking about.

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I remember Rasheed just looking at a ref and getting a T. At least, I think it was him.

I don't really see much of a problem with either of these either, though I wouldn't mind seeing Steve let JVG and the other coaches complain at the refs.

13. Sane

Sane Member

I want Cato to have more flagrants. He plays 15 minutes, its ok if he gets a flagrant once in a while.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yeah, i wouldn't doubt that's happened. just from his reputation some refs will be way too quick with the whistle. hmm, maybe steve is viewed the same way? hopefully not. i guess my point is that i don't see him doing any abnormal complaining or whatever that it has become a detriment to the team.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

They just need to keep their heads, and everything will turn out to be peachy keen.

16. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

yeah- "ok guys, I'm about to drive into the teeth of the defense, go 1 on 4 and throw up some junk. Put your hands down, Yao- you're distracting me with all that waving"

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

weather or not steve's T's were the "rasheed" kind or the kind you ge from slapping the backboard and holing on to the rim, IT COSTS US POINTS! and we don't need it.

18. Friendly Fan

Friendly Fan PinetreeFM60 Exposed

thanks for saving me, Jebus

19. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I'm not too worried about Steve. If anyone on the court should be getting technicals in an attempt to fire up their teammates it should be him. I can't remember a time where one of his technicals may have cost us the game but I do remember the game against the Clipps where his complaining about Dre stepping over the line led to a win.