1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone please explain

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by michellexiao, Dec 4, 2005.

1. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

Regarding Yao's stats, http://www.nba.com/playerfile/yao_ming/index.html

Why did he get highest APG(1.7) in his rookie year but then keep declining?
    Did he get into foul trouble this bad in his 1st and 2nd year?

People say that Yao becomes stronger, quicker, more skillful, I agree with it based on what I have seen... but why on earth his stats does NOT improve? He played more minutes, he made more shooting attempts, why those made zero impact on his stats?

Tmac's stats is declining too, I don't think that's because of Yao. It never happened to either Kobe or Shaq, co-stars have co-stars' stats!

I blame JVG, it is all due to his system, his philosophy of basketball, it does not work! how much longer does it take for JVG believers to realize that??

02-03 HOU 82 72 29.0 .498 .500 .811 2.4 5.8 8.2 1.7 .38 1.79 2.11 2.80 13.5
    03-04 HOU 82 82 32.8 .522 .000 .809 2.4 6.6 9.0 1.5 .27 1.90 2.49 3.30 17.5
    04-05 HOU 80 80 30.6 .552 .000 .783 2.6 5.8 8.4 .8 .43 2.00 2.45 3.70 18.3
    05-06 HOU 15 15 33.3 .482 .000 .811 2.7 6.4 9.1 1.3 .73 1.60 2.67 4.10 19.9

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

3. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

As you can see from the stats that you posted, Yao's numbers are actually up. Who cares about assists from a center?

Tmac has played 8 games, and he's been hurt in all of them. There's not really a basis to bash JVG here. The main problem with JVG is that none of our role players are really able to contribute effectively in his system when tmac is not effective. If anything, bash him from building a team that relies so much on one player.

4. edwardlo

edwardlo Member

JVC system is defense first, offense second. His defense is so intense that there is no more energy to run offense in the second half. Most of the player are in the 30's and they cannot substain these level of energy. So production stats are lagging.
    That explain why their stat are lower than what they use to be from their previous team.

5. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

FYI,

1) stats on nba.com is based on played games.
    2) I was referring to Tmac's stats of the last 2 years.
    3) Assists from center is actually more important in today's NBA.

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Well Yao should be getting a good number of assists from the center position on the throwouts when he gets double teamed but eh the guards can't really make anything...

7. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

in a motion-less offense, it is hard for a C to collect assists. We don't have anyone who slash to the basket without ball. And when Yao kick out the ball, it is either a brick, or one more swing around perimeter before a brick.

JVG really need to study the offense system of Spurs, Kings, Mavs which all have players moving in better ways.

8. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

1) and 8 games is a tiny sample size. and he's hurt.
    2) yeah, his 25 ppg last year was clearly a step back from the glory years in orlando. :rolleyes:
    3) considering that teams can decide to keep a center from even catching the ball, I disagree. Also, last year Yao was more of a finisher, and it's hard to argue with that 55% from the floor.

I don't care if you bash JVG, but at least do it in a way that makes sense. You posted stats, 16 games into the season, that show that Yao is putting up career high scoring and rebounding numbers, and yet use it to complain about the coach. Your major gripe is Yao's passing, and you're basing it on a .4 drop in apg from his career high.

You also refer to Tmac's stats from an injury plagued year and his best all-around season in terms of winning to somehow knock JVG. The man has his problems, but you presented nothing to really support your argument.

9. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Totally agree and not just in today's game but historically the great centers like Wilt and Russell have also been great passers too.

10. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I'm really confused as to why the center getting assists is MORE important in today's NBA. Shaq averaged about 3 APG in the Lakers' three championship seasons. Doesn't seem like it's all that important to me. Especially when your center is double teamed and gets the ball with little time left on the clock. Why is it more important for Yao to be creating assists? Seems to me like your better off with guards creating penetration, dishing, and then having that open up the offense rather than putting it in the hands of a center who can't see the floor as well or move the ball as easily.

What? All Russell did was flip it to Coosey for the fast break. He was Ben Wallace before anyone else could block shots or rebound well. Chamberlain averaged 4.4 assists in a time when defense in the league wasn't half of what it is now. Just watch a game on ESPN classic and see how many wide open midrange jumpers the guards take. It's not like Yao can't pass, it's just that dealing with a double team, more athletic perimeter defenders, and a slew of perimeter players who can't hit shots means Yao can't get the assists those guys did.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Two basic things:
    -JVG has pushed him away from becoming a Sabonis or Smits-type high post passing center and wants him to be a low post scorer. While this under-utilizes Yao's shooting touch and knack for passing, it has done worlds for his assertiveness. In his first couple of years, Yao looked to pass almost as a way to avoid taking a shot himself.

-The talent around him, McGrady aside, has plummeted. He doesn't have cutters going to the basket at anywhere near the frequency he did his rookie year with Rudy at the helm. This year more than any other, there's simply no one around him that convert any passes into a bucket.

The only passing center in the league is Brad Miller (6/game). The next highest is Duncan with just over 3, and that's only if you count him as a center. While I'd like to see Yao average closer to 2/game, I don't see why you feel passing is so important for centers "in today's NBA"

Evan

-edit - BTW: Dream had a career 2.5 APG

#11 emjohn, Dec 5, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2005