1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

someone please explain to me the logic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by teebone21, Dec 10, 2011.

1. teebone21

teebone21 Member

houston trading away their only consistant scoring options for the last couple seasons for gasol? 10+ mill in salary saved from the deal but who will it go to? nene and Dalembert have teams after them already that will easily give them the $$ they want. Nets almost got nene wraped up and Dalenbert will most likely go ot Dallas with dirk instead of houston. With holes at the SG who will fill it? jamal crawford? All of you clutchfans whats going on here?

yes i just started account today but have but live in the woodlands and been a rocket fan for years

2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We have no way to get Nene without making this deal. This will put is 11 million under the cap and even if we don't land Nene we have the flexibility to do something else later.

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Welcome, teebone21! Try reading a little more before you open a completely redundant thread!

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You should probably wait until the dust settles and we see what our final roster is before judging the logic of a trade.

If Dwight goes to NJ, I think LA is pretty much done. Not sure how they can build a team with 50 million dollars tied to two players.

Furthermore if Dwight goes to LA, we still have money to go pursue Dwill next offseason.

5. Happii

Happii Member

Isn't the Nets waiting on Howard. After the meeting with Howard, if he says yes then Nene goes to Houston if not then...we're screwed.

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

We signed Jermaine Taylor yesterday to fill our hole at the 2 and we have The Dream to start at Center.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Pau Gasol is still the #1 PF in the league. He was basically THE most important cog of the Lakers championships.

Kevin Martin is expendable because Courtney Lee is a better all around player than him.

The team's defense just got a whole lot better with Scola and Martin leaving. This is a GREAT trade for the rockets.

8. senter

senter Member

fixed. dont forget about dirk

9. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I think the logic is something we'll only see after the deal and any subsequent deals are made. On the surface, it doesn't make sense, but presumably there are other players Morey thinks he can bring in after the deal is made. Then we'll see the logic. Everyone wants to jump to conclusions, but we don't really know who would be replacing Martin for scoring, or what exactly Morey has up his sleeve. We'll see soon enough. Then we can judge.

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I would also like to add, we would have a TALL PF!!!

This is like our first PF over 6'8. Rebounding was a huge issue for this team last season.

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Welcome, teebone21!

In "Morey we Trust"......I guess?

12. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Meh give me Gasol's interior scoring and rebounding over Dirk's fadeaways.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why don't you wait and see how all this plays out before getting all bent out of shape over it. To much speculation at this point.

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

do you guys think hamilton or crawford will be looked at ?

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Once this deal goes down I think we're going to go after a center. Nene would be amazing but I think he's going to the Nets. SG is the least of our worries at the moment. I think the Rockets are really confident in Courtney Lee to make this trade in the first place.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Gasol>Scola
    Gasol>Martin
    Gasol>Dragic
    Gasol>Knicks 2012 (most likely)

Basketball is a sport won by the best players. The Rockets got a better player than the ones they sent out. If you have a chance to get an All-Star, you do. The Rockets would also get more flexibility in salary cap and could still add another center or player better than they sent out.

1 person likes this.
  17. 2cool4school

2cool4school Member

Why wouldn't they be? Im confident in Courtney Lee as well. I hate losing Scola more than Martin, but its the only way with the limited to no options we have. This team as is, is not going anywhere.

18. 2cool4school

2cool4school Member

Good post. Agreed

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Nene is very under-rated. I expect Morey to try very hard to get him. A Nene, Gasol, and Patterson rotation at 4-5 would be brutal to opposing teams.

Also, I suspect Budinger may get to compete for the starting SG spot.

20. Victorious

Victorious Member

this trade depends on who we add after Pau. Gasol alone doesn't make us contenders.