1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Some Availables Accross the League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by popeye, Nov 19, 1999.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Oh yea, don't have too many good backups. Just have decent backups, who will know that this is the starter's team. We don't want any lockerroom problems.

2. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

Hey Popeye, Ill take option number 9 for 200 please!! [​IMG] I would love to have Richmond. His pure stroke and defensive presence would be perfect for this team. I also think his personality and lockeroom presence would really go along ways in helping this team. This is the time in his life where a team like the Rockets could rejuvenate his career. Give him one last hope of a championship. He still got a couple of good years left. Anyways just wanted to chime in.

------------------
    Stevie Wonder says "they call him FRANCHISE because his dunks are for sale at an arena near you."

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You're right, Pops. I could definitely see Mitch at the 3, given his strength and good size, even though he's played 2 his entire career. His and Shandon's games are different enough to make it work.

But what do you give up to get him? It would be tough, if he indeed makes $10 mil / yr (also I wouldnt want that cap headache). Barkley would be pretty much the only match, and I can't see him wanting to finish out a Wizard.

I like Hughes, but love McGrady. Somebody once said that all the great players are freaks of nature, and McGrady to me fits that description. 6'9", playing PG? 3 blocks a game (in 20 minutes) is awesome, and he is what, 19? 20? Promise the Raptors Mobley, Thomas, Drew, and a future #1 if you have to. He's gonna be an all-star in a few years for somebody.

4. thacabbage

Let me ask those of you who want Mitch Richmond so badly:

You guys do know that it will take atleast Mobley to reel this guy in. Let's be serious, the Wizards could get a lot more for Mitch than just Walt Williams and another player. You would have to give up Mobley. So then what happens? Sure, our chances of winning it all this year are greatly increased, but we still won't be at Portland's or LA's level. So, then what happens next year? You go in, and instead of being a young team on the rise, you are a team with one young superstar, and two aging vets taking up over 2/3 of your salary cap. The future is ruined as well as the present.

I think Larry Hughes would make a bigger impact for the present as well over Richmond. Like I said, a Hughes-Francis backcourt is undefendable. I would be willing to part with any combination of Mobley, Drew, TMass, Kenny Thomas, Walt Williams, Carlos Rogers, maybe even all of them if that is what it takes. Carlos Rogers is nice, but is replaceable. Potential stars are not.

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

anyone having any problems with their messages dispaearing or not getting posted? i know i posted on this topic earlier but now i dotn see it anywhere

6. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

First off Cabbage we need shooting most importantly. Larry Hughes is not going to help us shoot the ball. Nor is he going to play good solid D. Those are the reasons he doesnt get alot of minutes on the Sixers. He is just going to add more athletiscm to an already athletic team. We need a skilled player, not one that is developing. We need a player that has already made his mark in the leauge, not one that is trying to. I personally would rather stick with Mobley, if we are even remotely thinking of Hughes. I doubt Rudy and CD are interested in Larry Hughes.

------------------
    Stevie Wonder says "they call him FRANCHISE because his dunks are for sale at an arena near you."

7. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I'm sure Richmond is making $10 million a year.
    I remember when he signed. He wanted to go to a contender, but the money was more important. It was the first big contract of his career.
    Well, I guess the Wizards made a huge mistake. Please don't make us pay for it.

I wouldn't mind having him if we could trade him one good player plus a few scrubs.
    However, his contract is just too damn huge. We would have too give up a lot of players to get him just to match salaries.

Plus, the guy is having a horrible season. He's averaging 9 points a game shooting at 30%. That's just what we need, a guy who's in a shooting slump.

Heck, he might not even be in a slump. Maybe he's just old. He's already 34. We would be taking on another Pippen.

We complained about Scottie when he was giving us quality defense, 15 pts., 6 boards, and 5 assists. He was shooting 40% or so.

How would we handle this guy? He's doing so much worse. At least Pippen did something.

You might make the argument that Pippen was just complaining too much and that's why he had to go. Fair enough, Mitch is a nicer guy but...
    Remember when he played at Sacramento? The last year he was there you just couldn't stand him. He wanted a trade because he wasn't winning.
    We are currently the crappiest team in the West. Imagine how he would complain if he came here.

------------------
    Francis+Charles+Dream-Pippen= Rockets 2000 NBA
    Champions

8. thacabbage

First off Cabbage we need shooting most importantly. Larry Hughes is not going to help us shoot the ball. Nor is he going to play good solid D.

Who cares what we need now? We have no chance to win it all this year, so we might as well build up for the future. I can't begin to understand how some of you want this guy. It's like taking on the Pippen nightmare all over again. ALl a trade like accomplishes is bringing back the low-post game, creating a 1 year window of opportunity, while tieing up our future for the next 4 years.

Besides, if he comes here, he will have to play the small forward. The guy can't even shoot over 30% and score over 9 points against smaller shooting guards, you think he is going to be able to hang with the taller, more athletic 3's? Even if he could, paying 10 million to a borderline All-Star until he is 38 isn't something I want to get into. I would much rather just keep Mobley altogether rather than creating another window of oppotunity. Come on guys. The Barkley trade, the Scottie Pippen signing, all we have been doing over the last few years is throwing away our future for a shot at the present, and we haven't been able to get it done right now. Do you actually think a team of two role playing 37 year old's, a rookie point, and a 6'5 small forward (Richmond) is going to be able to hang with the Blazers or Lakers?

Enough of this. Let's be patient and bring in some young players and develop them along with Francis.

9. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Those of you listening in to the KJR AM-Seattle for Rockets v. Sonics...can you guys believe some of the players around the league supposedly on the table for trade? For those who haven't heard here's a couple of the names being thrown around:

Dikembe, furious with Atlanta
    Rod Strickland in Washington
    Michael Finley in Dallas

They also mentioned many of the trades that Popeye told us about earlier in this thread (Chris Mills, McGrady, etc).

By the way, Matt Bullard is back from the IR. T. Hamilton has replaced him due to back problems. Matt was being interviewed by KJR when asked about the Rockets supposed "same post-up offense that you've ran for the past 5 years". Matt's response was that although the Rockets are learning more running plays to utilize the strength of our young guys, the post-up plays are still working (finding open shots, unfortunately not making them). He says despite our record, chemistry is great and he is confident that the wins will come over time.

[This message has been edited by BlastOff (edited November 20, 1999).]

10. thacabbage

I don't understand why Dallas wants to unload Finley. It has to be the other way around, with Michael wanting out of that NBA hell-hole.

The three biggest names on the block this season are Larry Hughes, Tracy McGrady, and Michael Finely, and I think they will all end up getting traded for each other. I just don't see any other team having enough to jump in there and nab one of them, though I hope the Rockets atleast try. Any one of them would be a phenomenal acquisition.

Look for Hughes to end up in Toronto to solve the point guard problem down there, with McGrady landing in either Dallas or Philly, and Finley going to the team McGrady doesn't end up with.

The Rockets really should try and jump in to the mix of things with any package of Mobley and Rogers. I can't remember players of this much quality being on the block in years. It has always been only one marquee name, but this year there are 3. In 97-98 there was Damon Stoudamire, last year Stephon Marbury.

We really should try our best and try to get one of these 3. It would be huge for the rebuilding process, and a trade like this might be enough to even jumpstart our season and boost us into the playoffs.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Larry Hughes is only 20 years old and if developed in the right environment can be an all star in this league.He,like Francis,is a highlight film.If the Rockets could get him it would be a major coupe.The Sixers need front court help.I'd start with Mobley,Drew,and perhaps T-mass or Rogers for Hughes and a veteran point in some sort of 3 way deal.I like Eisley,Jackson,Harper,Pack,and Best.I do hate the idea of dealing Rogers.He has a lot of potential that he is finally starting to realize.If they would just give he and Cato the pt I feel everyone would be happy.He could be a future starter for us.If it took dealing him to get Hughes I would do it faster than the Rocks blow 4th quarter leads.
    Ratliff is a player I've always coveted and if healthy would be an incredible acquisition.I just don't see with Philly depending on Theo and not having anyone else underneath,them parting with him.Now if we could get Dampier in a deal and send him on to Philly............???How about factoring Mack into all this.I say unless we can get one of the big names we sign and keep him.HH

12. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

Im glad you can quote what I say, maybe you should listen to it a little more. If Iverson and Hughes can't mesh what makes you think Francis and Hughes can mesh? We have a future with the team we have now. There names are Francis and Cato. I don't want to dump this year just because we are off to a bad start. Play with what you have and if the result is the lottery than so be it. Hughes is just another athletic player with some potential, but I can name you several of those. Have you seen him play?, theres a reason a good coach like Larry Brown doesnt play him that much. He occasionally rots on the bench behind Aaron Mckie. If we are not going to be good this season, they need not make a trade for a player like Hughes just enter the lottery and draft a player. Don't lose Mobley for Hughes its not worth it. Mobley is further along in his development as a player than Hughes I can say that much. I'd rather take Mobleys heart than Hughes's attitude. Thats just my opinion don't take it the wrong way. I am also in the belief that Rudy and CD have no interest in a player like Hughes.

------------------

13. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Rudy doesnt have interest in him cause he cant shoot 3's and he cant pass the ball inside.

14. thacabbage

Stevie Wonder:

If Iverson and Hughes can't mesh what makes you think Francis and Hughes can mesh?

There is absolutely zero comparison between Allen Iverson and Steve Francis. Though Francis has the ability to score at will like Iverson, he looks to get his teammates involved.

Mobley is further along in his development than Hughes? I like Cuttino Mobley, but really...have you even seen Larry Hughes play? It's the other way around, Philly probably would never part with Hughes for just Mobley.

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Cabbage is getting the whole point of gettin Hughes. We need to build for the future, not now. I would love to give a chance to chuck to get his ring but it ain't going to happen.

Francis has the talent like Iverson, but they use their ability differently. Francis usually uses his crossover to penetrate then dishes it off. Iverson, on the other hand, penetrates and then shoots. Hughes isn't the stand still shooting type to compliment Iverson. Hughes would work much better with Francis then Iverson.

I don't get you guys, why the the hell would we won't Mitch? He's an old veteren to help boost your chance at the playoffs. We are building for the future, not now. Look at the team and realize that.

There will be growing pains and stuff, but DO NOT make the same mistake like the lakers in trading away their future for a veteren. I can totally understand if you guys want to win now, but building toward the future is the wiser decision.

16. thacabbage

Exactly! Brilliant comparison. If the Lakers had just been patient and held on to Jones, they would have been by far the best team in the league. Instead, they were thinking about the present, and traded for Rice. Now, they are into this mess, because Rice is going to be asking for Pippen type money.

Be patient, and forget about now. We have a good young core. Let's add to it. Where will getting Richmond get us? We might be a little better with him this year, but not good enough to win the championship. Then, the whole future will be screwed. Frankly, we were very lucky to be able to unload Pippen's contract. Don't take it for granted and take on a similar scenario for Richmond who isn't even half the player Scottie Pippen is.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Veggie Noggin,

I couldn't agree with you more. Look towards the future. One thing about the Iverson vs. Francis comparison. Francis WANTS to play the point guard (inferring he's willing to distribute the ball and wants to improve), whereas Iverson WANTS to score. I would love to get a Larry Hughes in here, but who would we be giving up to get him? Cuttino would definitely be #1, then... ???

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

18. popeye

popeye Member

Have been away from my this thread and it has grown. Thanks to you guys for the input and quality debates.

1. The "Does He Doesn't He" debate was so adamant by some who I trust, that I rechecked with some people on the Mitch Richmond salary question. NBA.com calls it 4yr/$40M,but they are so notoriously wrong and misquoted. Pat Bender(who I trust implicitly) calls it 4/20 to 2003. I rechecked some newspaper files and a couple on line library sources. They called it 20M over 4 years net. I then called a media friend in New York and he said it was 4 years (1999 until 2003), with $5 Million a year salary, with $20 Million deferred @ a year to year basis. That means a signing deferment(not a bonus) of another $5 million a year for the four year life of the contract.
    Sounds too legaleese to me! I say I was wrong and it was $10Million a year as some of you have said. Sorry for confusion.

2.Things are strange. if we knew two short few months ago that our starting line-up for this season would be: Hakeem, Charles, Walt Williams, S. Anderson, Steve Francis, and a bench that included: Cuttino, Cato, Carlos Rogers, Matt Bullard but minus Maloney, AND still have our $1.1 Million exception,AND everyone is relatively healthy, most of us,if not all, would have been very,very happy.

3.Mobes will come around. I would not sell him out yet.

4.I saw some evidence of explosiveness at the last two games that made me feel we are on the right track. The game last night( Seattle) the Sonics were playing to their absolute best. They had to play virtually a flawless game to beat us by three.

5.I DO NOT buy the Vin Baker out of the lineup business. Every team plays with some player handicap. Once we start winning, we will see Charles take another long "elbow rest". Bank on it. So if you want to call it uneven because Baker wasn't there then I counter that (a) Charles playing 'cause we needed him, evnthough he's hurt too (b) Foster getting into the teens would not have happened if Baker was playing (c) If Baker played, he may have had more points than Foster, but we would have played him differently also. He shys away when he gets two fouls on him. (d) Max beat us last night. Not GP, Not Foster, Not the bench. Max. He tends to do that to teams. Especially the last one and a half years.

6.IMHO we are one player away from some major leap in improvement. Someone like Harper would change things greatly. A big leap if we were lucky enough to get a defensive ( "D First") PF to platoon with Barkley/Cato when needed.

19. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

Man I would love to have Brian Skinner.

20. Francis3

Francis3 Member