1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

They could probably do that now by traveling to Europe, but something makes me think it's not all that worth it unless your situation at home is really bad.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Trump Says Mar-A-Lago Can’t Find US Workers To Hire. New Documents Show Dozens Applied.
    Trump often says his resorts have no choice but to hire foreign guest workers — there just aren’t any Americans to take the jobs. But government records show nearly 60 US residents applied for those jobs, and only one was hired.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ected-dozens-of-americans-in-favor-of-foreign

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

"Illegal alien" isn't an inherent characteristic of a person. It only means anything relative to the laws that govern his situation. If they "put on the disguise" of a legal asylum seeker, they literally become a legal asylum seeker. You just don't like the way our laws work.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

In this age international corporations could care less about borders. Borders function primarily as a way to screw workers on either side. I have talked to Mexican computer engineering grads about two hundreds miles south of the US border making about $600 per month working on projects for companies in Phoenix.

5. JuanValdez

If so, shouldn't international corporations care about borders, so they can leverage them to do this screwing you refer to? Something like tight controls on the movement of people over the border but free flow of tariff-free goods?

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  6. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...people were working on some of those same governing principles with that TPP thingie the last half-Negro-all-Muslim chief executive was trying to put together...

...you know, for one thing, to help level that global labor workforce's pay rates...?

...just asking...:);):D

7. Nook

Nook Member

So 2/3 of illegal immigrants in the USA have been here for over 10 years and only 1/7 have been in the USA for less than 5 years.....

Seems to me that they have integrated well in to the USA.

snowconeman22 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. Ender00

Ender00 Member

Well most wont qualify and will be likely be turn away. Do you really think that 11 millions people (the estimate number of illegal)life are in danger or they are economic migrant?

9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yes wanting a better life = ground for legal asylum seeker.

10. JuanValdez

You're still ignoring the law.

Nook likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

At Trump golf course, undocumented employees said they were sometimes told to work extra hours without pay
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...4f4d124151f_story.html?utm_term=.94fdcee453b0

12. NewRoxFan

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Americans will not work for such low wages. Why do think jobs are offshored and then referred to as "automated"? Are there really Americans that don't want those factory jobs?

14. NewRoxFan

trump announced a new immigration plan yesterday. Supposedly son-in-law jared created the plan. Something so important would normally get a lot of attenion, and even its own thread here. But supposedly its considered a lead balloon with little to know chance of getting approved, so probably best to discuss in this thread. One interesting note... at one point they wanted to announce it at the Statue of Liberty (?!??) but saner minds prevailed (concerns about protests) and someone thought having it at Rose Garden would allow for more congressmen present to show support (that didn't seem to happen either).

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When you get rid of cheap labor you're gonna have some major pains. I hope middle America is ready.

New contraction costs are going to shoot up 30-40% and most services will as well. Gonna be an interesting time ahead when the tariffs start costing Americans too.

Nook likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm seriously trying to figure out Jared Kushner's qualifications to author immigration policy at a national level. Any conservatives here have a answer besides shear unadulterated nepotism?

Nook and KingCheetah like this.
  17. JuanValdez

After he solved the Israeli-Palestinian problem that has confounded generations of leaders, how can you even ask that question?

;)

Nook, snowconeman22, Amiga and 4 others like this.
  18. JuanValdez

I don't have a problem with making/expanding a visa for merit-based entry. The tension will be how many visas to issue for merit and how many for family. Family-based immigration sounds sensible to me because the immigrants will have some reason for an affinity for the country through family. But, it looks like Trump wants to set the table so that merit takes most of the slots. Family and humanitarian visas are supposed to go from 70% to 43% of the pie, which makes those queues longer. Merit would go from 30% to 57%. I find the rhetoric a little ironic, where in the same breath Trump says he's going to protect American jobs and bring in immigrants with above average skills. And the bit about child smuggling is a bit offensive.

There's a lot of issues the plan doesn't touch though. Proposals to address illegal immigration focus on the wall, faster enforcement, and blocking refugees. Not much to say on enforcing labor laws on companies that hire illegals, nor anything to address the crises that produce refugees, nor anything that actually improves our discernment regarding refugees only erosions of due process to move them out faster. There is no plan for addressing our obvious appetite for millions of immigrant blue collar workers. And talking heads will mention DACA, but there are 12 million undocumented people here who should not be deported but his only antidote is deportation.

For my part, I'm okay with gradually shifting the visa weight from family to merit, and I'm fine with rigorous enforcement of the border. What I'd add is rigorous enforcement of labor law, a visa program for blue collar workers to come legally to work the jobs illegals now work, and normalization for the 12 million illegals already settled here. There's probably some expediting that can be fairly done on refugees, but it should recognize the need to give them a fair process, and we should expand the resources dedicated to that work to meet the need in a timely way. And we should proactively cooperate with the Northern Triangle governments to combat gangs there, improve their crime situation, and invest in their economies to stop the creation of refugees.

19. NewRoxFan

In other words, it would be too hard on employers like trump to hire illegal aliens to save money...

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Kushner’s plan is garbage. US immigration policy should be based on what other countries can give back to America.

Shitholes like India and Mexico have no right for their people to immigrate to the US at higher rates/numbers than places like Japan. Neither of those shitholes is a well-functioning society like Japan.