1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solution To Big Man Need, Inside Scoop...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jerry Maguire, May 23, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

First let me say that any trade involving Cato, our #9 and our $4.3 mil exception is a bad deal for the simple fact that we are backing ourselves into a corner salary wise and would hamper our ability to aquire a good free agent.

This is a next to impossible deal to do without sabatoging team chemistry and the Rockets ability to wheel and deal in the near future.

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The rockets don't have any salary space anyway this year. The number nine and Cato will have big salaries next year so you only born about two mill of cap space on MacDyess.

MacDyess is a prime time player. He's still young. Cap space, who cares. Cato, who cares. # 9, no problem. Detroit fut pick, no problem. Orl fut pcik, no problem. MacDyess is worth this, easy. easy is a problem.

I have a problem if Walt is involved. Walt has become an important cog to the team.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

3. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

I don't know if the rumor is true, I hope it is. The article if rom a month ago so things could have changed by now, who knows. Anyways Rudy was ready to make him the franchise player a couple of years ago, maybe he will finally get to make him one now. McDyeass is a talent that blocks shots and scores. Plays as an agressive Cato on Defense and has offensive game to. He is a player you just don't turn down. He would make it possible to get away with an average to below average center.

Anyways Jerry Maguire where did you here this at?

------------------

4. Loafinator

Loafinator Member

if this deal would go through, it wouldn't involve drew. at least i don't see him going to the nuggets. they already have a good pg in van exel, and they have a good guy of the bench in heren and alexander. but if it did go through the rocks would be really weak up front, because we'd be giving up all our big men (i.e. cato, KT, Walt, carlos). if we were to aquire somebody like fortson with our 2.5 exception, than this deal would be perfect. we'd have an awesome PF in mcdyess, and a guy that he's played with before in denver like fortson. it would be nice to see mcdyess in a houston uniform, but i seriously doubt this would happen, especially since denver actually has hopes of making the playoffs, and they surely wouldn't be doing that with cato.

------------------
    "When the mind is thinking, it is talking to itself."

.... Plato

5. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

lol. get real guys. the rumor is false.

besides, those trades you guys came up with are (no offense) crap.

6. Chickenhead28

Chickenhead28 Member

Taking Antonio will be great. The cost will be great also. I don't know if the Rockets have will have the talent to make worth while for the suns.
    I don't know if its smart. They can go after someone like Theo Ratcliff,who i think is a F/A, he can help and we would lose less talent. If he's a free agent we can keep Cato
    and have depth and the #9 (Miller or Miles),and now Hakeem can work with Theo and Cato.
    Antonio would be great, but the cost I think would be too much. Remember that the Stevie trade was a lucky shot. I don't think that the Suns are that foolish to give up Mcdyess for nothing.

------------------
    the Heat suck!!

7. Jerry Maguire

Jerry Maguire Member

To Capologists: Is there any way possible to see if these trade scenarios would work out salary wise.
    1. Denver: D Mutombo
    Atlanta: Cato, #9 & Exception
    Houston: A. Mcdyess

2. Denver: Juwan Howard
    Washington: Cato, #9 & Exception
    Houston: A. Mcdyess

First of all to Nugz fan, This is not a false rumor contrary to what you may believe McDyess wants out and if not to the Rox surely to someother team. Antonio feels as though he has been betrayed by the Nugz front office because he is finally realizing what was involved when denver was negotiating with him last year(they did not allow Jkidd or others to speak to Mcdyess against his wishes). If you don't believe me look and see what develops this summer between Antonio and the Nugz front office.
    CHickenhead, Antonio plays for the nuggets not the suns and Ratliff is not a free agent he just signed a contract last year. I believe the scenarios above really benefit all the teams involved and strategically fill needs, ie Washington need a lottery pick and to free up salary, Denver gets a marketable player, etc..
    Cap squad I need your help, let me know if it is possible by throwing in others to meet the salary

------------------

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dikembe to Denver? Whoa. That'd be strange. McDyess has been Denver twice, and Denver would be Mutumbo's 2nd time around.

My only problem, is that we're centerless. No center in sight. If we pulled this off, then pulled off my wonderful LAC trade with the Clips (Bryce/KT/If we get the Orlando pick or a future pick/one more player if we don't have about 1.2 mill in exceptions left for Kandi/#18) That'd make our new front line up with our low post threat, a brand new 7 footer to go with Dyess, etc.

Another option perhaps would be to try a snare Raef Lafrentz out of it, by adding KT/Drew to the mix..... BTW-the Nuggets do in fact want a backup PG, and don't think Alexander or Herren is the answer.

McDyess made 9.9 mill last year, I assume he's BYC. What level is he at?

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

9. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

j. maguire ; you guys believe what you want just to get dissappointed later. if im wrong ill come back and admit it.

i 100% confident im right, so i have no problems posting what i do.

nikestrad ; im not against trading raef, but i think issel is. and btw, no in fact we dont need a backup pg and defintely dont want drew. get real. we got herren and alexander (gotta dump him first) and might get billups. we have bigger concerns.

one note : despite the rumors, issel is not a rockets fan...kinda makes those deals harder.

10. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

It seems like there are plenty of disgruntled players, so why don't we put them all in a huge trade and include the Rox. Here is a list of some players that don't want to be where they are or aren't wanted by where they are:
    Antoine Walker, Vitaly Potapenko, Vin Baker, Vernon Maxwell, Antonio McDyess, Dikembe Mutombo, Allen Iverson, Tom Gugliotta, Luc Longley, #15 pick(Milwaukee), J.R. Reid

Celts get: Allen Iverson
    Nugs get: Antoine Walker
    Rockets get: Antonio McDyess, Potapenko
    Suns get: Mutombo, J.R. Reid
    Sonics get: Gugliotta, Drew
    Sixers get: Cato, Baker
    Hawks get: Longley, #9, #15
    Milwaukee gets: Maxwell, Carlos Rogers, Kenny Thomas

This won't happen but it would really shake up the league.

------------------

11. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

dice for walker? haha..uh no.

and for the last time. mcdyess isnt unhappy. even if he was, why leave a team for another with less wins? sheesh!

12. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

The difference is one loss which was smart as we get one pick higher than you. Not to mention we have our lotto pick and you don't.

------------------
    Check out the new and improved
    Draftsource.net

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

nugz fan, mcdyess coming here may make sense because he has a house here ? he plays b-ball here in the summer ?
    Face it, nba players prefer to live here instead of denver. Nothing against denver, but facts are facts. Maybe it's because texas doesnt have a state income tax ? But it makes you wonder when your starting pg and pf live in houston ?
    Van exel may live in houston cuz he used to play college ball here, of course, he also played in cincy. Mcdyess has no other connection here. And if im not mistaken, keon clark was talking about building a house here.
    btw, i would take the rockets nucleus over denver's nucleus in a heartbeat. Not even close.
    Now, why would mcdyess wanna play here ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

14. gr8-1

nugz fan, even your own columnist will admit taht the rockets are on a faster track to rebuilding then the nugs are. He was amazed at how the rockets have apparently turned it around after one year,while the nuggets are still rebuilding since 1982. The rockets are a franchise that is used to winning and arent afraid to pull the trigger when they feel they are close to winning.
    What was the last blockbuster that denver pulled off ? of course, you havent' been close enough to pull one off.
    How many play off series has denver won in the 90's ?
    Yes, denver won more games than houston last year, but who had injuries to barkley and hakeem ?
    Who's coaching in the olympics ? i can tell you who isnt, its dan issel.
    Now, why would mcdyess wanna come play here ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

15. treeman

treeman Member

I may be wrong here, but Orlando owes Denver a first round pick. Maybe that could help...

I'd love to get Antonio. He'd fill in Blue in that Big Black Hole we call a frontcourt game.

------------------

16. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

rocketsfan34: it wasnt our pick either. dont matter to me. you beat out orlando. congrats.

gr8-1: im not saying he doenst practice there or whatever, but fact is he prefers to play ball in denver. he still does. and im not surprised youd take the rockets nucleus over denvers. doesnt make you any more right than me on that issue. just a popularity thing.

btw: whos our columnist?

but in the end, mcdyess will be a nugget this year, the year after, and years after that. period. he wont be a rocket even if houston is a paradise and every nba player wishes to play here and houston is the greatest city ever.

[This message has been edited by NugzFan (edited May 28, 2000).]

17. treeman

treeman Member

McDyess has a home in Swee****er (Sugarland), along with Van Exel and our favorite SA point guard.

I have to think that location is an important factor in any such decision (which is why I used to want Van Exel and now want Antonio on the Rox roster).

They live here. Their families live here. That has to count for something in any decision... The only question in my mind (re: recruiting McDyess) is how much the Rox can pay him. That doesn't look good, as it seems the Rox are going to try to draft someone, resign current players for more $, and are already over the cap. But we can dream...

------------------

18. popeye

popeye Member

I would truly worry more about where John Lucas ends up as head coach than where Diceman lives in the off season. John and Van Exel had as much to do with Antonio going to Denver as anyone. And, John is leaving and Van Exel is not solid in Denver for next season either.

Also, Mercer has as much chance coming back to Denver as anywhere else. He definitely won't be in Orlando. La F is playing well. They have a poor draft. I would expect a major shakedown in mountainland, not just facelifts. There will be a new focus. It may not include Antonio.

19. gr8-1

nugzfan, you had asked for reasons why mcdyess would want to play for houston, and i was merely telling you what i thought they were.

The article is in clutchcity.net's archives, it's titled "rockets did their rebuilding on the run." It is written by mike deban(sp?). The article was taken from rockymountainnews.com.

------------------

20. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I really doubt Mercer would be back in Denver unless the majority of players on the Nuggz are moved. Mercer didnt get along with the players in the lockeroom. When he got traded the players were like good riddance. So unless they move dice and minivan then I doubt that Denver would bring him back.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day