1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soldier Loses House To ex-Convict Squatters While Deployed.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Apr 24, 2014.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Crazy story. Anytime I hear the term "squatter's rights" i roll my eyes. If it's not your property, get the hell off. I don't care if you gotta go live in a garbage dump.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...hing-210607842.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The laws apply to everyone, soldiers included. All he needs is the eviction notice and the police can run the rats out.

You can't skirt the law just because.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

WTF was the friend doing?

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Might as well just file for the notice while raising a public clamor. Sounds like his friend kinda screwed up watching the house.

5. Major

Major Member

So the squatters renovated the home? Did the friend pay them to do this? If not, why would they agree? If so, was it with the owner's approval (and if not, why not)? What were the terms?

There seems to be more to this story, one way or another.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

More to the story aside, can anyone explain the benefit of squatters law?

Without digging in a ton, at least on the surface, it seems that the law is moronic.

7. Classic

Classic Member

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Article says they are afraid to do it because they think the squatters will damage the house. Far as i know, eviction notices take quite some time to effect in general. These are criminals and should be removed like the trespassers they are

9. rudan

rudan Member

squatters are like rats, should be exterminated from society.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Ain't that some *hit they need to go the *uck out of this man house.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This seems to always be the case with these attention-grabbing headlines.

Just a poorly written article that leaves more questions than answers. Sadly, it's par for the course these days.

12. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Bottom line....you have to pay (documents, damages, etc.) to get someone that is illegally staying in your home out of it? :rolleyes:

A few things....

1. Aren't they tresspassing and/or breaking & entering? So can't they be removed for that? Or is the "verbal agreement" all that is needed to avoid this?
    2. Could the owner just go in (probably have to break the door down since they changed the locks) and do what he pleases (aside from killing/beating them)? It's his property.
    3. What about the squatters being held responsible for damages to the home? I doubt this happens because the homeowner may not be able to prove any damage was done. If this is the case, all of this is just absurd.
    4. If a written agreement is in place, then a notice would be understandable. However, even word of mouth doesn't seem like it should be enough to keep them from being removed from the home.

I remember a few years back, this happened to someone in a home that was used about half of the year (primarily as a summer home). When the owner found out someone was living in his home, and went to turn off the water/electricity, the cops threatened to arrest him. He told them to ask the squatter for proof he could be there, but they said they couldn't do anything. I just don't understand. All a squatter has to say is there was a verbal agreement, and they have more credibility than the owner?

These laws really need to be updated. Not being able to cut the electricity in your own home because someone is illegally, and without your consent, living there? Something is wrong with that.

1 person likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

Which squatter's laws are you referring to? In this case, they just need to get the court to evict them and then they can be kicked out. You have to have that go through the legal system - if you could just call the cops, a landlord could just throw any legitimate renter out on the street even if they have a valid lease.

14. Major

Major Member

The documents/etc are to prove that it's illegal.

It has to be proved that they are trespassing.

What if a person has a legitimate lease? Can an owner randomly do this?

Excellent question.

A verbal contract is generally considered a valid contract. The court system is where you have to argue that.

Cops aren't courts, though. They can't determine if the person is legally there based on a "he said, she said" situation - that's the job of a court. This is the same for foreclosures and the like too - you have to go through a process to evict a resident so we're not just randomly kicking people out of their homes for spite (an angry landlord, for example).

15. ths balla

ths balla Member

this inst a valid lease, its a verbal agreement...So let me get this straight, essentially I can break into someone house that's on vacation/deployed/outta town, change the locks, then lie and say I had a "verbal" agreement with the homeowner that said if I helped "renovate" the house I could stay as long as I please?

16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Agree that there has to be more to the story. My neighbor is about to leave the country for a year. Does that mean some human cockroaches can move in and consider it theirs? Something doesn't add up.

If I left my home for an extended amount of time and came home to find people in it, I'd start shooting. How could they even claim some sort of "squatter law" as a reason to be in the home?

17. Major

Major Member

Verbal agreements are valid legal agreements. If there's evidence that you've lived at a place for a few months and you say you had an agreement to do so, then you don't think someone needs to prove you are lying before kicking you out?

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

From the article in the OP:

19. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

But wouldn't the verbal agreement have to be with the owner, not the caretaker?

20. Major

Major Member

Good question - I think it would depend on what the owner authorized the caketaker to do. Apparently, they authorized her to hire the guy to renovate their place (or she did it on her own for some reason), so there's some weird stuff going on here in general.