1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SOCCER] Klinsmann fired by U.S. Soccer

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Nov 21, 2016.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1616...cer-fires-coach-jurgen-klinsmann?ICID=HP_BN_1

Nov 21, 2016 3:13:19 PM

After five years in charge of the U.S. men's national team, the German-born coach has been let go following back-to-back losses to open the final round of World Cup qualifying.

U.S. Soccer fired Jurgen Klinsmann on Tuesday following two straight losses in the Hexagonal round of World Cup qualifying.

Klinsmann, who has coached the men's national team since replacing Bob Bradley in 2011, had been under contract through the 2018 World Cup.

Players who could be affected by coaching change

The former Bayern Munich and Germany manager's time with the U.S. was cut short after his side lost to Mexico 2-1 at home on Nov. 11 and fell 4-0 in Costa Rica four days later.

The U.S. had never lost its first two matches of the fifth and final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, and Klinsmann accepted the blame for his team's poor play to open the Hex.

“I’ll take responsibility, it’s no problem at all,” Klinsmann said. “It’s also a learning point. Six months ago, we were in the semifinal of the Copa America and now we have two defeats to start the Hexagonal. That’s how fast it goes. It’s soccer. Things can turn around very quickly. It is for us now a negative moment."

[​IMG]

Klinsmann finished with 55 wins, 28 losses and 15 draws as the U.S. coach. In 2013, Klinsmann led the U.S. to 16 victories, including a 13-game winning streak. His U.S. side breezed through the Gold Cup unbeaten that year, outscoring opponents 20-4.

Klinsmann did his job in 2014 by leading the U.S. to the knockout round of the World Cup in Brazil, but he watched his team finish fourth in the 2015 Gold Cup. After the U.S. reached the semifinals of the Copa America Centenario in June, the team hit rock bottom with its recent losses to Mexico and Costa Rica.

U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati has yet to announce a replacement.

ESPN reports U.S. Soccer had been in contact with LA Galaxy coach Bruce Arena and Sporting Kansas City boss Peter Vermes over the past 12 months. Arena, who recently signed a two-year extension with his MLS club, coached the U.S. at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups.

Gulati had expressed confidence in keepin Klinsmann on board through the 2018 World Cup in Russia prior to the Mexico match, but his tone changed following the defeat to Costa Rica, saying, "We'll think about what happened today and talk with Jurgen and look at the situation."

The next U.S. coach will have some ground to make up in the race to the World Cup.

The Stars and Stripes are currently sitting in last place in the Hexagonal standings, with upcoming matches against Honduras and Panama in March. Three of the six remaining teams in qualifying will advance to the upcoming World Cup. The fourth-place side will face a team from Asia in a two-legged playoff in November 2017.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They need to play harder. *clap*

3. Raz

Raz Member

So they managed to find out, that he can do nothing but giving motivational speeches.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He basically said US fans don't know anything about soccer

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Rinse and repeat....

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Surprised he lasted this long TBH. He should have been canned way back.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It needed to be done. Even though I appreciate what he was trying to bring to this country in terms of the way we view the sport, I didn't appreciate the way he went about doing it. There was always this air of arrogance about the way he spoke of the team and American fans. If you're going to have the audacity to leave our most decorated International player off the World Cup team, then you better damn well have the tactics to back that up. It was painfully obvious that he didn't, and it eventually cost him his job.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I was patient, and willing to give Klinsman a chance, but what I did not like in the end was that the U.S, National team had become half international. Our history tells the story that we cannot successfully play an American style, I cannot deny that, yet, if there is one thing about America that I have learned from every other sport, it is that is the best way for U.S. to succeed. I'd like to get back to that, and then get some real defenders because they are an embarrassment back there.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

This deserves a

[​IMG]

10. 713

713 Member

Just let Pulisic be the coach.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good riddance - we need someone that can help America find it's own style - Klinny has sucked as a coach everywhere he has been.

Not sure about Arena - but whoever is next has some work to do.

I suspect that the players got tired of being tossed under the bus for Klinny's crappy formations and whims.

DD

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Not at all excited about Arena, hopefully they find a permanent replacement soon

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You guys called it. Lets see what the next one does.

2013 Gold Cup
    2014 WC Best 16
    2015 Copa America Centenario Semi Finals

#13 daywalker02, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Worst "coach" Bayern ever had.

15. ferrari77

I remember what Lahm had to say about his coaching. Sunil Gulati chose to ignore it and put the US through the Klinsmann regime.

16. ferrari77

Word is Arena will take over but apparently Bielsa is interested. I mentioned Bielsa in the Concacaf thread, he would be such an interesting hire and it would be a fun, wild ride but I don't think Gulati wants that right now lol.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Arena Hired
    [​IMG]

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Welp, we got what we wanted. He definitely deserved to be fired and it should've happened a long time ago. I was all for it in the beginning as I thought he could really make change happen. Turns out, he didn't do squat. The youth system continues to be a joke and getting more and more expensive every year. The youth national teams haven't done anything of note, while failing to qualify for the Olympics both times under his rule. The senior team has flatlined. He's probably the best conditioning coach in the world...but just an abject failure at even simple tactics.

Good riddance.

On the flip side, I thought they'd at least take a little time to do a real search. Immediately hiring Bruce Arena, even if it turns out he is the best solution, was dumb. There is plenty of time to get things together before the next competitive matches in March. Even if it meant playing a couple of early year friendlies under an interim guy, why not take the time and do it right? I would've loved to see Pareja or Bielsa given at least an interview...or even Peter Vermes. Maybe Arena has learned a thing or 2 since the 2006 disaster in Germany. I guess we'll see...

SwoLy-D likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep, Gulati probably sensed some heat himself at this point, "his" guy failed, plus all the drama around WNT. He had to make a conservative hire.