1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Copa América 2011

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Jun 29, 2011.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    (From Wikipedia)

The official web site for the competition is http://ca2011.com/ .

This year, Mexico and Japan were asked to participate as invitees, but Japan withdrew and Costa Rica was named the replacement. Mexico will send their U-22 team with five additional older players.

Although the U.S. isn't invited to this, I know there are many of you who are South American teams' fans. Argentina is the clear favorite, with Brazil being the top-ranked country in that region.

In case you didn't already know, I and many other ClutchFans will be rooting for xico, and I hope that we get lots of support from some of you, too. :cool:

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hard to root for Mexico after they attacked American fans in the stands and refused to speak English during the ceremony for their Gold Cup.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Hopefully no country from cerote america got invited

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gonna go with Messi's team, because Luis Scola likes them too....

:)

DD

5. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Love the Argentinian basketball team... Hate the Argentinian soccer team. Conflicted!:confused:

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have an idea.

You can cheer for the basketball team but not the soccer team.

I just thought of it.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Swoly what's the word on your El-tri boys? Seriously is Jonathan Dos Santos(among others) not one of the dumbest players out there?
    His complaining prior to WC 2010 at being left out and then this whole prostitute incident prior to him getting a chance at the Copa America. Not smart.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I'm gonna be supporting Mexico, Uruguay, and Chile. But I expect Brazil to win it since they have the extra incentive to win as they will be hosting the following WC. I believe this might be Neymar's coming out party for the national team. I also expect Messi to continue his putrid showings for the national team, never been a fan of his.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pulling for Uruguay. Huge fan of Forlan and Suarez. However, they'll need some luck to win the whole thing. I don't see Brazil competing to the best of their capabilities; they're already qualified for the 2013 Confederations and 2014 World Cups, so I don't see the incentive. 2013 is their warm-up for the big prize.

It will be interesting to see how Messi plays with Argentina. He is the definition of a Barcelona product and has never seemed totally comfortable playing with Argentina. It hinges on him.

I think Uruguay is the dark horse. Let's not forget that they finished 4th in the 2010 World Cup and returning a very strong squad. They'll need to take advantage of any mistakes that Argentina and Brazil make.

10. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Rooting for the albiceleste.. Messi will definitely display his potential with Argentina and shut all the critics.

11. SwoLy-D

ferrari, Jonathan shot himself on the foot with that complaint for the WC and now he shoots himself in the shoulder with this controversy. Six months without being able to play for your country is BAD. Very, very bad. I know he's good, and I know he can be better, but sometimes this arrogance gets to be too much. :( It's sad to see such talent go to waste on personality mismanagement... *cough*the_blur_Brooks*cough*

I think my TRI will do very well and much better than expected. These youngsters want to make a name for themselves and for the country, and want to display good football on a grand scale to get big contracts. They'll shine.

I still think that the HOME advantage plus the talent on Argentina will give them the edge. I agree about Uruguay taking their game far in the tournament, dumbartonbass.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'll be rooting for Mexico...they have to represent! But since they're sending their "B" team, they won't go very far...

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Hmmm, I'm a Brazil fan but have a feeling that this one is in the bag for Argentina.

People forget how uber-talented + poorly coached they were at the World Cup, and the only other contender is a re-building young Brazil.

14. SwoLy-D

Your buddy is misinformed. It's the U-22 team with a few older peeps who didn't see much action in the Gold Cup. I disagree with you, though. I believe they'll make it out of the group stage. :cool: They will probably beat PERU and CHILE.

FIRST GAME is on 7/1/2011 at 21:45 local time (6:45 Central), with Argentina hosting Bolivia. Should be an entertaining match.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Argentina "CLEAR" favorite over Mexico and Brazil, where you got that one from. :confused:

I'm goin with Brazil.

16. SwoLy-D

:eek: Yung-T-cash-money... dumbartonbass already explained the point about Brazil. I explained the point about Mexico. PLUS, it's home-field advantage for Argentina. Wouldn't you agree, sir?

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm going to pull for Chile, just because it sounds pretty good. No beans of course, and their flag looks almost like Texas.

1 person likes this.
  18. SwoLy-D

¡Eso es lo que la camboyana dijo! :grin:

19. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

After the behavior of the folks in LA, I will root for which ever team is playing Mexico.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

swoly and ferrari,

facts are your friend. jds never complained, it was his father. jds in fact said nothing other then he was disappointed. that is expected and understandable.

that being said, all of these young guys are dumb for reporting their stolen items. if they kept shut the hotel would not have had to defend their reputation and would not have released any cctv video. a case of you call us out we'll call you out.

now they are out their money and electronics, copa america, and el tri for 6 months. but they got laid... :rolleyes: