1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who's left and who can we get with our remaining midlevel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, Jul 1, 2019.

1. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Stanley Johnson
    Marcus Morris
    Noah Vonleh
    Cousins
    Oubre jr

BHannes2BHonest and CVcrew like this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

JaMychal Green, Morris and Oubre are guys we hopefully look at. Hopefully behind the scenes we are working on something.

Aruba77 and CVcrew like this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Say what?

4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

We can't? Says who? I bet we sign him for Min and he says yes.

Deckard, MarioKissoDeath and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We need a 4. We have no 4’s on our roster. 6’5” PJ Tucker is not a 4

Huncho Bean, PWR, Deckard and 6 others like this.
  6. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

He’ll get paid much more, but I wish we would pick up Oubre. To me, he makes EGO ultimately expendable, but can also fill out next him for 2019/2020.

7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Would like to steal David Nwaba from the Cavs if we can (he's an UFA). He's a lengthy guard/wing who is a pest defensively. Could see him being useful here on a minimum, especially if we let Shump go.

#267 foggy94, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Our position right now is not as bad as people are making it sound. It’s not great either, wouldn’t say we’re solid contenders.

If we wanted good reason to believe we could win it all next year we would need a small forward better than what we currently have, and a power forward with length and athleticism, that could play a small ball 5.

I don’t see how we could get both of those without giving anyone up and just the MLE. So I’m basically hoping we can get Jmcl Green or Marcus Morris (still a longshot), and then I’d say while we wouldn’t be favourites, we would still be a top contender and could pull it off if things go our way and some luck, which every championship team has needed.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Oubre is a RFA. No chance at acquiring him imo. Cousins is the only player left hard capping for, if he is fit.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

WCS?

Can guard multiple positions

fattz likes this.
  11. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Cousins is probably waiting on Kawhi. He’ll sign with whatever LA team doesn't sign Leonard or get in a bit of a bidding war if Kawhi goes back to Toronto. He’s basically the next best FA left on the market after Leonard right now.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Jamychel Green is also waiting on Kawhi as he’s probably looking to go back to the Clips but can’t sign there yet as they need the cap room.

Morris brothers are also waiting on Kawhi as they’re probably looking at signing with the Lakers once Kawhi chooses.

Guessing a lot of the top guys left on the market are waiting for the Kawhi situation to shake out.

lionaire likes this.
  12. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Crazy he took the vet minimum!

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Team needs:
    -A big that can play the 4/5 and shoot
    -A true backup C
    -Shooting on the perimeter

JamGreen seems like an obvious name at this point. Can play the 4/5 in this system, can shoot and while not a great defender is serviceable.

Kelly Oubre is a non-starter I think. He's RFA, PHX wants to keep him, we can't offer a big deal without a hard cap AND he can't shoot the 3 very well.

Marcus Morris is a great fit as a 3/4 that can defend a little (when he wants to) and shoot the 3. I like him a lot as a fit. My only fear with him is that we might be forced to sign his brother as well and then when we can't play him it would cause rifts.

I still think JaVale McGee is a GREAT fit as a backup 5 for the minimum if that's doable.

Realistically though most of these guys are going to wait to see what happens with the LA teams.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yep ...in that order

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

1. Kevin Love
    2. WCS
    3. Some shooter for min

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The good thing here is that the crop of free agents that are still available is extremely better than what Morey had to pick from last summer IMO. Sure there will be players signing with the Lakers if/when Kawhi does but there are still quality veterans at play that can definitely provide 15-18 minutes a night on this team. Definitely better than ending up with MCW and James Ennis that's for sure.

lionaire, BaselineFade, JW86 and 2 others like this.
  17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I’m still very concerned about the rebounding issue, and I’m not sure anyone left could help fix that problem. Backup 4, backup 5 are huge holes right now. I’m guessing the rockets are done in FA and are just waiting for someone to miss their market value. If that doesn’t happen, they’ll be loading up for the buyout market and continue the “best team in April” strategy.

18. steddinotayto

Noah Vonleh is still out there and can probably be had for the vet min. He's a good rebounder.

I think the reason why a Faried and Rockets reunion hasn't happened yet is because there are plenty of bigs this summer (as opposed to last) that are better than Faried or provides a solution to a problem that Faried can't.

jch1911 and clutch citizen like this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You know, if cousins took MLE on a 1 year deal or something similarly rocket-friendly I don’t know how we could pass that up. He’s big, he’s mean and he can shoot 3s well enough to warrant playing aside Capela. He’s probably not a full time player anymore but he’d be a crazy weapon to have

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

I'd love to get Cousins for the cheap but lost in all this is the fact that he probably still hates Chris Paul.

Deckard, joshuaao and justtxyank like this.