1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who does Doggie go to now that Wagner's gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by redgoose, Nov 4, 2003.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Reading between the lines, they are looking to move more salary to give them even more flexibility for future signings/trades. This implies Bagwell and/or Hidalgo. Considering they also want to get Lane into the lineup, this points further to Hidalgo.

Neither one is easily tradeable. Hidalgo's selling points are that he is still young and the team controls his contract for the next 2 years. His knock would be that he had one good year, 2 mediocre years then 1 good year. WHo is the real Hidalgo?

Bagwell would most certainly have to go to the AL in a trade. His shoulder is not improving.

Again, due to big contracts, either will be hard to move. The market is limited.

2. deepellumrocket

To take it a step further, Peter Gammons included Bagwell on his list of players he believes would clear if placed on irrevocable waivers like Manny Ramirez was last week.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You really never know that though. The last two years before last season Hidalgo was fat and underperformed for what he was making in his contract. This however is not likely to happen next season because he will be on a contract year but if I were the Astros I would not extend his contract because of how he played after the first big contract the Astros gave him.

After Manny Rameriz passed though waivers and no other teams elected to pick up his contract Peter Gammons came out with a list of players that no other teams would pick up also. Bagwell was on this list so that goes to show you what kind of interest other teams would have in taking on Bagwell's contract. Bagwell is very untradable.

If it turns out that the Astros sign Andy Pettite and end up trading Wagner and Hidalgo for prospects it would be a great upgrade for the team. I would trade Wagner and Hidalgo for Pettite strait up and by doing it this way the Astros are replenishing their farm system in the process.

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Buck, just saw that you mentioned bringing in Chad Fox. I've talked with his wife before, they live in Spring, and he's wanted to play for the Astros for awhile now, but they have never given him an offer to his injury history. I think that we could bring him in on the cheap and he would be a great guy for the 7th or 8th.

5. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

I did not do any research. I was just going from what someone else stated.

I value your word immensely. Do you like Lane enough to get rid of Hidalgo?

If you like it, I like it.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll answer with an "it depends". Without making any moves, I'd rather see an outfield of Berkman, Lane and Hidalgo, even though (unlike some other folks), I do not believe Biggio was a detriment to the team last year. Biggio's stats were better than the average centerfielder in the NL, but the team could use an upgrade.

I suspect they will try and trade Hidalgo, but it will be difficult to get equvalent talent due to his salary. Hidalgo has had 2 good full seasons and 2 medicre full seasons, so which is which? I suspect that he will be a solid .290, 25-30 HR guy as long as he is healthy.

I believe that Lane would put up better numbers than Biggio and play a better CF but I don't believe he will put up better numbers than a healthy Hidalgo or play a better RF.

Should they trade Hidalgo simply to make room for Lane - No. Should they trade Hidalgo to clear payroll AND use that payroll to upgrade the team AND clear a place for Lane - Yes.

If they trade Hidalgo, they need to add some team speed, a solid right handed hitting role player and a reliable starter (actually, if they don't trade Hidalgo, they need to add speed and a starter as Lane will become the right handed role player). They don't necessarily need to acquire these players in return, but must use any savings to ensure these positions are filled.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I know trading Bagwell has been discussed already but why not trade Bags, move Berkman to first, bring up lane, and then use the extra money to upgrade the Astros.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who would take him.

I know this would never happen, but I wouldn't mind it (forget the fact that he's probably not the greatest clubhouse guy for a minute). Trade Bags to Boston for Manny and Damon, once you get rid of Hidalgo. Move Biggio to a utility role and bring up Lane.

Lineup

CF-Damon
    3B-Ensberg
    1B-Berkman
    2B-Kent
    LF-Ramirez
    RF-Lane
    SS-Everett
    C-Chavez

9. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I think this point has already been made earlier, but Bagwell has no trade value at this point. He's a 37-yr old whose numbers are on a steep decline, and who is owed $50MM over the next three seasons. If no team would bite on Manny Ramirez's contract for free, why would they give up players for Bagwell's?

10. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

No edit.

After looking it up, Bags will be 36, not 37 next season. Doesn't change my point, however.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

has it been said yet that Bags has a no-trade clause? cause he does! :)

12. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

exactly... he'll retire an astro. There's no point in discussing trading him at all

13. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I personally like Bagwell, I think he still put up pretty good numbers this past season, I'd say the best on the team. Though he probably is being overpaid, so are alot of people, I believe that next year he'll come back with 40 homers and around 120rbis.

14. franchise?..NOT

Bags can't continue to have cortisone shots every month indefinitely. Eventually his shoulder will turn to putty. My guess is he will spend major time on IR next season forcing the Astros to eventually play Berkman at first. For this reason and this alone, I hope that they are unable to trade Hidalgo.

If everyone out there is going to try to dump the financial mistakes they made during the ARod signing frenzy of a few years ago then we will have to dump Doggie for little or nothing in return or package him with pitching which we can ill afford to do.

Drayton, forget trading Hidalgo. Be a man eat some salary for a year or two until you sell, get your money then and leave the city of Houston with a team unencumbered by your legacy of mistakes and financial Scroogery and washed up players. Thanks for the memories.