1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's the Westbrook trip-dub talk now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Apr 4, 2018.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

PER rewards volume. Westbrook defined volume last year.

There have been voters that specifically mentioned they voted for him because triple double. Literally, triple double.

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

Please do it. Please. Please. Double dog dare him.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You are devoting way too many keystrokes defending Westbrook. Harden's only failed year was when Ty Lawson and Dwight blew up the locker room and he was having sex with a Kardashian. Harden still got that team to the playoffs.

Westbrook
    PG 13
    Carmelo
    Brewer
    Adams

Pat Patterson - Was a good 3 point shooter all of sudden sucks, defender
    Jerami Grant - Can shoot the 3, athletic, good rebounder, defender
    Felton - Can shoot the 3, good PG off the bench
    Abrines - Can shoot the 3
    x3 other defensive athletic wings they have on the bench

That is enough to get you 50+ wins. People were saying they should be 2nd or 3rd in the west. That is a good team. Not well coached, but they have plenty to be successful. Every time Westbrook underachieves, all of sudden he is playing with trash.

4. Mr. Space City

wesbrooks mvp last year was a joke.

nobody in the modern era should win MVP with a team that only has 47 wins.

majicdonjuan and juanm34 like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's get a few things straight,

1. Anyone that said the Thunder were a 1-2 seed are legitimately slow thinkers.
    2. Being as the 3-10 seeds in the West are essentially tied, I'm not sure why this "3rd best in the West" prediction wasn't palpable to you.
    3. It's amusing to watch enraged fans jump on Westbrook, but then massage their way out of James Harden's 41-41 season. (Or data dump SAS G5-G6)
    4. Please, find me a playoff roster with a crappier 4-10.
    5. WE ARE GOING TO BLAME WESTBROOK FOR PATRICK PATTERSON, RAYMOND FELTON, COREY BREWER, CARMELO ANTHONY, ALEX ABRINES?

THIS. IS. CLUTCHFANSSSSSSSSS! :D

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Why the "modern era" disclaimer? Just to suit your argument? I am a huge Moses Malone fan, so I vehemently disagree. (47-35 record for our Rockets the year Moses won)

31.6 PPG
    10.4 APG
    10.7 RPG
    .554 TS%
    47-35...

Now, come on. Harden is better than Westbrook, but are we really saying that these numbers are a joke?

Sure, he stat pads. Know who else stat pads? An ass ton of NBA legends. David Thompson, George Gervin, Kobe & Shaq, Wilt Chamberlain, etc. James Harden.

I think James deserved it, but that doesn't mean that WB didn't deserve it. After James, I think he was the clear number 2. What he accomplished was and still is remarkable.

#26 RudyTBag, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  7. Yaaz y2k

Yaaz y2k Member

Westbrook has chance to be like Kobe but instead he is choosing steave francis and Allen Iverson Route by just playing selfish...

8. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

This guy is funny. Westbrook has A+ talent and an F- brain. It is what it is. Get over it, Harden is and has long been the superior player, and RW, is as I said, overrated. Perhaps garbage is a bit harsh but you get the point.

And I chuckled when you spoke of how phenomenal Westbrook played with Harden. Of course he did. Everyone does.

And just like everyone else that plays with Westbrook, Harden left and became an Allstar.

Slob WB if you like, but I personally think he sucks. (At least compared to how he's portrayed.)

slothy420 likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Beverley
    Garcia
    Parsons
    Omer Asik

Jeremy Lin
    James Anderson
    Delfino
    TJ
    Greg Smith

Bev
    Parsons
    Dwight
    Omer

Lin
    Troy Daniels
    Garcia
    Terrance Jones

Terry
    Ariza
    TJ
    Dwight

Pablo Prigioni
    Nick Johnson
    Corey Brewer
    Josh Smith
    Clint

Bev
    Ariza
    Anderson
    Clint

EG
    Dekker
    Montrezl
    Nene

These teams are comparable or worse than what MVP Westbrook has now. Did I mention Mchale was the coach for a majority of these teams? No one was blaming Terry and Prigioni on Harden.

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

You are missing the point.

No one here is saying Westbrook is better than Harden. It doesn't mean that Westbrook didn't deserve MVP last year, nor that Westbrook isn't an excellent basketball player.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not missing the point. You think Westbrook is doing just fine with the talent he has on his team.

I don't think Westbrook is doing enough.

Mr. Space City and majicdonjuan like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well you say that but Harden being a better player than Westbrook kind of does mean that Harden and not Westbrook deserved teh MVP last year.....and Westbrook isn't an excellent basketball player. He's arguably the most detrimental player to his team in the entire league. I mean I guess the stat padding impresses some, but given that he does so at the expense of his team...it really shouldn't impress anyone. He's not a top 5 player in the league and probably isn't a top 10 player in the league.

slothy420 and majicdonjuan like this.
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Certainly a down year, it happens to even some of the all-time greats. 41-41, Game 6, etc. Hell, even Dream had some crappy years in between the 80s and the mid 90s.

Still, 47-35. How many games with his roster would be acceptable in the West? 50? 52?

I am really not sure what you guys expected OKC to do this year. High hopes huh? Or buying into the ESPN narrative? Or creating the anti-narrative? Carmelo Anthony is the 4th best player on the team, and he is probably not a top 100 player in the NBA. That's about all you need to know concerning the OKC roster.

14. Mr. Space City

because if your team is not one of the best teams in the league you should automatically be disqualified for winning mvp.

i used the modern era disclaimer because certain **** from a long time ago should not be relevant in modern times like guys winning mvp with a losing record or winning finals mvp and not winning the finals.

westbrook didn't deserve it at all over harden.

harden had comparable numbers on a team that had a better record.

maybe the rockets should have let capela and nene sacrifice rebounds so harden could have got that extra 2 a game to average a triple double,

15. BackdoorHarden

NAME me one MVP in the last 30 years with less than 50 wins.

When you're the MVP, you're expected to lead your teams to win, not padding stats.

Westbrook needs more help. So why did he get MVP then? What MVP in the last 30 years was on a team with less than 50 wins?

16. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

But no one stat pads like russel, the okc organization and the coaching staff are all behind him getting triple doubles. He would be a double double or probably just a scorer if they didn’t have Steve Adams and if their players didn’t box out for him and get the rebounds. Adams even taps rebounds to Russ.
    The fact that Oscar Robinson got his triple double when they didn’t even record it back then is amazing but Russ is all intentional. That’s the only reason they got PG13 to go there and Carmelo to agree to be traded. Okc wanted Russ to win the mvp to get good or great free agents to go there. But all of his stats are padded.

He averaged 31 ppg or so with a lot of attempts and low percentage.
    His rebounds were fixed by the team I bet their game plan is box out so Russ can get rebounds. A lot of them are tipped or he jumps into his team mate and the bigger player just lets him have it.

His assist are usually or mainly to Adams and many of those are bail outs or bad passes. If they didn’t have Adams he wouldn’t get those assist because he has a great touch and great hands.

He only passes when he knows he will get an assist. He doesn’t pass it to players that might need to pass the ball again to get a better shot.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Who is Portland’s 4th best player? Aminu, Turner? Portland is the superior team and they’re not loaded with quality depth. Westbrook is the reigning MVP. George is an all-star and Adams is one of the best defensive centers in the league. I expected them to be better than Portland who’s best player (Lillard) struggles to make the all-star team. Who is San Antonio’s 4th best player this season since Kawhi is out? Green? Gasol? No excuse for OKC to be on the same level as them either.

You can malign OKC’s bench, but their best five-man lineup was Westbrook/Roberson/George/Melo/Adams and they were only +3.0 per 100 possessions. Even their starting lineup is mediocre. Westbrook is just difficult to build around due to his combination of high usage and average to below average efficiency. He can’t play off the ball and forced Durant to do so during his time there, even though Durant is one of the best scorers in the league and excellent in iso. Westbrook is an insane talent and I kind of respect his unwillingness to change his game, but I wouldn’t want to build a team around him as a main piece at all. I’d rather have a player with fewer accolades but is easier to build around like Lillard. Far less challenge there.

18. AXG

AXG Member

You'r arguing for the sake of it. The point OP and many of us made is that he's averaging another near triple double with essentially the same record as last year yet he's not even in consideration for MVP. Harden OTOH is averaging fewer assists and rebounds and is the considered frontrunner. It reinforces the idea that WB shouldn't have won it last year and not get it this year if we are rewarding stats over wins. History will not look kindly on WB's MVP Award.

19. vince

vince Member

The analyst saying how Harden quit in the Spurs game, is merely their guilty conscience talking.

They know Harden carried the team to an incredible record, but they went with the sexy stat. Even though Westbrook’s production didn’t translate to wins.

Harden can impose his will on games when it matters most; this is in regards to 5-8 minutes spans in time critical to the game - not just last minute shots. MVP’s have a knack to dictate the momentum that gets the wins.

20. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That 31.6 PPG was on the highest usage rate in NBA history by a good margin, and the TS% of .554 is nothing more than league average these days (.552 last year, .556 this year). Remember, we're directly comparing this to a guy who scored 29.1 PPG on an elite TS% of 61.3.

Assists are also directly tied to that insanely high usage rate. Now I'm not discrediting him completely in this category, but without the insane usage rate he's not sniffing a triple double.

Rebounds are a joke, yes.