1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, what takes priority now, resting or seeding?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Mar 11, 2019.

?

Which options do you like the best?

1. Resting Harden and Paul 3 games vs 6 lottery teams by turn.

37 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. No rest. Putting up a fight for No. 1 seed.

75 vote(s)
    67.0%
  1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Resting: Studies have shown that stars are more prone to injury when on short rest.
    Seeding: Studies have shown that the home team wins 80 percent of the time there's a Game 7 in the NBA.
    Near the end of the season, most NBA coaches of playoff bound teams would only consider playoff games to be “key games”.
    Resting players to preserve the core for the playoffs could wind up hurting the team's chances in the playoffs.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would like the citations to these Studies

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We are still 4 games back from the warriors with 16 games to go .

It's not impossible to make up that ground , but I'm not sure it's even wise .

We need health more than anything .... and I consider having extra juice part of health

I would rather face the 2/3 6/7 seeds (currently) vs the 4/5 and 8 seed .

Clippers always give us trouble and OKC is a team I want to avoid . We struggle vs teams that are more athletic than us . The spurs and jazz I don't worry about . Denver is a tough team but I'd prefer to play them over OKC .

Even without the current seeding structure I'd pick the rest option . We know we can beat the warriors anywhere . But , we have to be playing well to do that . Generally , you can't play well if you aren't healthy . I would do everything I can to max my chances of staying healthy

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

MDA ?

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. rocks123

rocks123 Member

we cant really rest even if we want to. chemistry wise the team isnt at 100 percent yet.and even if we are sitting at third seed we are only 4 loses out of play off contention. with spurs on a winning streak and clippers not tanking at all no one is safe.

saleem and RudyTBag like this.
  6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Play to win every game.

A00man, tmoney1101, RudyTBag and 6 others like this.
  7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Rest during playoffs

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Playoffs = 2 months.

82 games = 5 months

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Gold Digest online.

CK Johnson and hakeem94 like this.
  10. BigBum

BigBum Member

can't really rest stars during playoffs, even 1 game.

11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

This would be a good night to rest CP. I know they want to continue the current streak they are on, and I’m aware that we still haven’t been able to play at full strength. MDA has to trust that Austin can be effective enough to help us win these type of games without Chris.

I understand both sides of the issue, but I lean towards rest. We need to minimize CP’s minutes as much as possible. In the grand scheme of things his health is more important than our seeding.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Well , there's your problem .

MDA doesn't trust anyone outside of harden or Paul .... and mayyyybe EG and PJ .

kjayp likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If you are golden state you can .

They did it KD's first year there . Basically saved him for the finals

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

You do know who the Rockets coach is, right?

kjayp, slothy420, Nook and 2 others like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

looked it up, there is no such scientific journal. I did, however, find Digest Gold, a digestive enzyme. That might help our players to rest, but I am unsure until I see the science that backs it up.

DreamShook and topfive like this.
  16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don’t always like it but I understand his logic. If you know MDA you know he is fearful of his core players getting out of rhythm due to rest. He always says that rest can work against a player. We haven’t been fully healthy all season and he wants them to keep improving on both ends before the playoffs get here.

It’s scary but we have to trust him.

BeBreezy likes this.
  17. SemisolidSnake

Seeding. Home court advantage is real and verified. (Source) It's not the same magnitude for every team, but there's no team with a home court disadvantage. As much as I, personally, don't like to ascribe too much importance to HCA, the numbers are there, so I have to.

Seeding. Only two teams in NBA history have won with lower than a 3rd seed going in. The 1969 Celtics (4th seed) led and coached by Bill Russell, and the 1995 Rockets (6th seed) led by Dream and Clyde. Again, not willing to go against the data. More 3rd seeds have been winning in recent years.

The Rockets have known the agony of injuries stripping them of a probable title (i.e. last year), but resting is still too much of an unknown quantity. Hell, Harden statistically does better with LESS rest this year. If Pops were coaching this team, I'd consider the coach smart enough to know how to rest and still win, but for the Rockets, as they are now, they need to not take any chances. Especially after looking at last night. No team is a surefire win. Everyone needs to be ready.

diehardrockets likes this.
  18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Get the highest seed possible. We had a good shot against GS partly due to HCA. I'm confident we can get one at their place in a series, but idk about two..

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Do we know who funded these studies? 'Cause I'm not putting much faith into anything Big Pharma has its grubby hands on.

But seriously, folks... We're playing well. Let's not f#@k with that by resting guys and throwing the rotation out of sync. I would just try to cut back on the minutes for CP3 and Harden. Maybe PJ a little.

YOLO likes this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

Rest in the off season! :D

solid likes this.