1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

So, the Rockets have made the playoffs!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a.k.a vince, Mar 14, 2001.

Tags:
  1. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

then would a three game sweep of the Rockets be something you'd be excited about.

Well of course not the Rockets being sweept. But that they actually made the playoffs!

Or do you think that if they make the playoffs the sky is the limit?

------------------

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

3. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i think that i cant believe i am responding...

of course if you make the playoffs then that means that you have a chance to be the champions..if you dont then you dont...

i think that is pretty simple equation and those of you that dont want us to make the playoffs for the sake of getting a better pick are lame.. the time is always now...

------------------
    "no matter how good she looks someone... somewhere..is tired of her sh*t"

4. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

I've never said I'd prefer a pick over the playoffs!!!

But, what is the membership community of Clutchcity expecting? Are you expecting a quick exit. Or are ya'll expecting a strong deep playoff run?

That was my question. Not, well, since they may not go far, lets tank.

Tanking breeds incompetence! And then you have well............crap to root for.

------------------

5. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

back to the original tought of the question. Well, let me simplify it a little.

What type of record or showing will make you satisfied about the Rockets playoff outing?

------------------

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I think with Hakeem, the Rockets would have pulled an upset and made it to at least the second round. Without him, they would lose in 5 close games, like the Kings of 99. The hard part is just getting there. I would love for them to make it, and watch a cocky number 1 seed try to cruise to a sweep, and get their lunches handed to them.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I can't believe I'm responding either.

The game on Saturday will show what might happen in the first round. Make sure you guys are loud as hell. [​IMG]

------------------
    (===)

8. kbm

kbm Member

Responing dido...

Another step on the road to the championship. First make the playoffs. Next Advance. Last Win it, baby!

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever the eventual playoff outcome, its great to EARN a ticket to the big dance. Particularly so for the young talented core
    of today's Rockets.

Lottery fortunes are iffy, playoff experience is a definite plus ...

What's not to love about this team?

regards

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Even if we do go three and out, and even if we get annihlated, so what?

The idea of making the playoffs as an 8th seed is usually not to win it. For this team, in it's second (kindof the first) full year together, to make the playoffs would be HUGE. It doesn't matter how they do -- the playoff experience is enough. The maturity and experience is enough. The confidence of coming from bottom of the conference to 8th seed is enough.

PLAYOFF WATCH 2001!!!

------------------
    What can change the nature of a man?

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

San Antonio is currently the # 1 seed according to the standings shown on TNT tonight. How does a Spurs/Rockets Quarterfinals sound? Although I believe the Rockets would have an easier time playing Utah in the first round, I'd love to see the Rockets open up at the Alamodome.

Making the playoffs is just enough for me with this young team. Anything can happen. The Knicks made the NBA Finals in 99 as the 8th seed so anything can happen.

------------------

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Well Michael Jordan and Chicago got to the playoffs and were smoked in the first round, and look what they formed into? Giving the players a taste of the playoffs does 4 things, 1.)It shows them that another level of intensity is needed to compete in the playoffs, 2.)It would disappoint the players and make them work harder the offseason and through to the regular season, 3.)They would know that they would have to carry that intensity through to the following season, 4.)It attracts free agents, who knows that a young, developing team is playoff caliber. That is what getting to the playoffs means, whether they get swept or not.

------------------
    "I have a scale at home and it only goes up so far, I love that scale!"
    - Charles Barkley
    TNT Studios

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited March 15, 2001).]

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I can see this topic being raised in any other city. With any other NBA franchise. But this is Clutch City, baby! We reached the finals in 1981 after a 40 win season. We won the title in 1995 with 47 regular-season wins. This team has a chance to better both of those season records. Whose to say that we won't do something great in the postseason when we get there?

------------------

14. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

San Antinio has been our stepping stone to the Championship series like in 81 and 95. I beleive that like in 81 we can take it almost all the way from the 8th seed.

------------------
    Tennessee is a suburb of Houston. Go Oilers....

15. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

I would like to see the Rocks play the Jazzholes in the first round of the playoffs and the Mavs in the second round. I think that the Rocks could win both of these series. I think that the Rocks will have problems against the Spurs and the Lakers because we can't match up with size. And I don't want to play Portland.

16. Toast

Toast Member

Playoff teams also seem to get more respect from the refs.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

17. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Getting to the playoffs is enough. I agree with RocksMillenium on his points. For the players to get a taste is enough to drive them further. Like Francis said, Bull is the only one left from previous Rocket playoff teams. Only Shandon and Walt, I think, have been to the playoffs. Well, Mobley's been once but Scottie had to go and ruin it for him.

I'm not sure who I'd want to face in the first round. I take that back. I'd really love a shot at Utah. Taking them down in the first round just might help me get over 1997. Maybe. (1997 should have been a Rockets/Bulls Finals.)

I'd worry about facing San Antonio. They are too hot right now. Not sure if i want any part of that.

The Kings would be a fun series to watch. We haven't had any luck against them so far this season.

The Lakers are beatable right now. I don't know about in the playoffs. Something tells me that once the playoffs start, Kobe and Shaq will become best buds again and that team will just roll over everyone. Don't let the regular season fool you. We, of all people, know about the heart of a Champion. Why do you think Phil hasn't been too concerned about his two fueding stars. He's letting Kobe grow now but when it's time for the games to count he will demand that they follow his plan.

Portland would be fun. I think the team could really motivate for this series. Do it for Houston, baby! They are the ultimate chokers. Losing to us in the first round would shake that team upside down. They would (again) be the joke of the league. They would probably lose their coach and definetly lose some of their players. They have too many people who could be starting on other teams. They could get a lot of good young players to surround Rasheed with. They could probaly get to be as good as they are now for half the price!

No matter who we play, I will just happy that we proved ALL of the 'experts' wrong. Haviong a winng record and making the playoffs would once again prove how valuable Rudy is to this team. Once again he will have proved everyone wrong.

------------------

18. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Sam Cassell that was a classic response.

If the Rockets made the Finals with a 40 win season and a championship with a 47 win season. Anything is possible.

Again. That says it all. Let them play and we'll see what happens.

------------------