1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Bellinger just came out to say Altuve stole the MVP award when altuve hit 381 on the road vs 311 at home. 15 home runs (road) vs 9 (home). 46 RBIs (road) vs 35(home) 1.081 OPS(road) vs .834 OPS (road)

if anything he would have won by a bigger landslide if he did not play at home at all (where the cheating occured)
    ____
    They also lost all their home games in last years World Series. Did they cheat... yes; was it wrong.... yes; but for people to say that is why they won is ridecoulous

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo says the Astros have to say the word ‘cheating’ and own up to it

“Someone has got to say the word over there, cheated, that’s important to me,” Rizzo said. “And for the sport to move on, which is what I’m most concerned about, is we have to make sure that all the I’s are dotted, and T’s are crossed on this investigation before we end it.”

For Rizzo, a baseball lifer, Houston admitting that they cheated is Step 1 for moving forward. Why?

“Because we keep skirting around the word,” he said. ‘And they cheated. They were found guilty of it, and I haven’t heard it yet (from them).”

Rizzo said the Nationals had no proof that the Astros were still cheating in 2019, but “we assumed they were, and we prepared diligently for it.”

“One of the problems I have with it, it’s opening day 2020, and there’s 50 media outlets here and 47 of them are for the Astros who cheated to win the World Series and there’s three here with the current reigning World Series champions,” he said. “And that’s not right.”

Rock Block likes this.
  5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The Altuve taking off the shirt is one of the ridiculous accusations. If Altuve was a DH, there might be a chance. Did people forget he plays defense, plays 2nd where he dives and play all-out defense. Don't take the shirt because last time he showed his 6 pack because he teammates ripped it off, we all saw the 6-pack?!?!?!? And maybe Altuve wants to keeps the jersey in-tact like Zion and Ja Morant exchanging jerseys after their 1st game against each other. More fire for the Stros. Rejuvenation!!!

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. SS0101

SS0101 Member

This is all becoming tougher and tougher to take. For three years we were being talked about as one of the greatest offensive juggernauts of all time. While it shouldn't hurt my feelings, it actually kind of does that so many around the game have "lost respect" for our team. Im starting to come around to maybe it really was just the Astros.

In order for me to believe it wasn't just the Astros would mean that I believe this is the biggest act of collusion in sports history with the MLB and those in and around the game just covering up everything outside of Houston. That is a pretty wild claim. Maybe it was just the Astros?

Boston is going to come out of this unscathed. It will be on us this entire year and probably for the rest of our lifetime.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Astros are cheaters plain and simple. When you're a cheater you don't have a leg to stand on. Unless actual allegations from other teams are proven, it's pathetic to try and deflect our teams own cheating by accusing others of it.

sew and Surfguy like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I bet the older players are laughing there ass off at these cry babies.

I can understand being upset but this **** is ridiculous.

If you ain't cheating you ain't trying

jklb, htwnbandit, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Ahh so this really the problem Rizzo has with it.

Someone should ask Rizzo why he is tolerating having a known cheater on his roster?

He went and spent money to sign Harris - a reliever on the team that cheater, someone that did not come forward.... someone that has accepted and kept the world series ring.

Which is worse, being a cheater or going out of your way to add a cheater to his team.

I'll just say this.......... all of the players and front office executives that are running their mouths better really hope they do not have anyone now or in the future cheating on their team because they are going to have opened themselves up to being crushed. From a strategic stand point it is smart to say NOTHING.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Where was this energy during the steroid scandal, how is this worse than taking steroids?

What are gammons and justice saying about this?

MLB needs to tell everyone to shut up because this will eventually affect ratings.

Can you imagine if people in the NFL where going on about this about NE.

Nook likes this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm only a casual Astros fan. I thought everyone stole signs. It's crazy the amount of anger.

htwnbandit and RayRay10 like this.
  12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Starting to get that feeling as well.

SS0101 likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If every player believes they were cheating all this time, despite the report, there's no doubt they're going to think any MLB action was 'weak'.

The MLB action was based on 2017... that is all. If they found evidence for last year, they have every reason to say so.

If the Astros go out and run roughshod over the league again... what will these players say then?

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If you seriously think the Astros were the only team to try and steal signs electronically, you are naive. The Red Sox were caught using Apple Watches by the Yankees, who illegally used technology to do so. The Yankees are the same organization that taught Carlos Beltran the art of electronic sign stealing. Finally, the Brewers suspected the Dodgers of trying to electronically steal their signs during the 2018 NLCS.

Also, the Astros, Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox have all been leaders of the analytics movement in baseball in the last decade. They were all looking for whatever competitive advantage they could find.

This issue isn’t isolated to the Astros, no matter how many self-righteous, angry players and coaches from other teams say it is.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Any opposing player who says anything other than “I’m not concerned with what Houston did in 2017, they got caught and punished and that’s enough for me, I’m focused on my own performance and my own team and on 2020” is a ****ing idiot. All these douchebags talking **** are asking for karmic retribution.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

In retrospect I am glad we lost the WS and even better every game at home, can you imagine how much more crazier it would have been.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sportswriters should continue to ask all teams/players about the Astros. Make it a daily affirmation... even during the season.

Not sure how players are going to focus on their own strengths/weaknesses... as well as their teams... when the only team that's being talked about is the one in Houston.

18. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

a BIG F*cking Waaaaaaahh, get out of here. You cant have it both ways Rizzo you b****. We're getting hammered by those same 47 media members and you're crying that you're not getting attention? GTFO

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If any of these players came out and said we cheated, too, MLB is going to immediately launch an investigation into their organizations. That would be one of the dumbest things they could ever do.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

This isn't just Astros fans "but but but they did it too!" ... Keuchel & Musgrove hinted at it. Beltran (allegedly) saying they were "behind the times". Do you really believe Beltran learned to cheat or just starting cheating in Houston?

And they weren't "caught". They were tattled on by a rat (two years after the fact) who was on the team.

Continue to be dumb & pretend everyone else is clean (sign stealing & beyond)
    and continue to put degrees on cheating, as if some cheating is OK but other cheating is not ... "But I'd rather face a steroid batter than sign stealing batter and like sign stealing from second/first/third is no big deal but this kind or that kind of sign stealing is a big deal and that pine tar/foreign substance on that pitcher's hat/glove, no big deal."

Whatever...

Holier-than-thou's gonna Holier-than-thou

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...astros-sign-stealing-mlb/stories/202002110114

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.