1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So tell me about this Michael Doleac feller?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, May 5, 2000.

Tags:
  1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

This guy's been mentioned in hypothetical trade scenarios with Orlando. He's a young center who I know nothing about, but I'm curious if he could be an adequate replacement for Cato. Surely he's better than Travis Knight (that other center I mentioned in a thread without knowing much about his game who turned out to be an absolute scrub). Attributes of interest: shot range, shot blocking abilities, hands, and running the floor. If any of y'all have any knowledge of his game, I'm interested. Thanks.

------------------

2. University Blue

I like Doleac. I think he's solid. He's a frontcourt player with range. He would be a good complement to Francis (and Cato). I would rather have him in the starting line-up than Thomas.

If Houston signs Doleac in the summer, they will look more and more like the Detroit Pistons.

Thomas - Francis: PG's with the potential to control the game.

Dumars - Anderson: Guards who can play defense.

Johnson - Mobley: Offense off the bench (who can create his own shots).

Edwards|Dantley|Aguirre - ?: Cato and Edwards are big men who provide interior presence, but Houston is still missing a consistent low-post threat.

Laimbeer - Doleac: Frontcourt player who can stretch the defense.

------------------
    Forget regrets or life is yours to miss.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I think Doleac is signed through this, his third year of his rookie contract with the Magic. I was just asking about him, because he was mentioned in that trading up in the draft thread. He sounds pretty good, but are you sure about his having range on his jump shot, because he certainly hasn't hit the three much in the pros? If he really can hit that shot and is adequate on D at the center position, I wouldn't mind replacing Cato with him if that's what is required to get us Swift.

------------------

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

When someone talks about a center having range on their shot, it doesn't necessarily include being able to hit the three. Hakeem has range, but I never have wanted him to shoot three pointers. I'd be more than happy with a big guy who could hit a 15-18 footer consistently.

------------------

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Doleac averaged 16 mins per game in Orlando. Is that a bad sign or just that Doc is letting him come along slowly?

------------------
    ?

6. Sigemund

Sigemund Contributing Member

I remember him from his days at Utah. In the NCAA tourney a few years back, this kid played very hard and he kept his team alive through hustle rebounding. I really wanted to see the Rocks draft him, but he was gone when 14/16/18 came up. I'm not sure whether he can bang down low or not, but I do know he has good rebounding and shooting. I'd be very happy if we picked him up, 'cause I think his shooting would fit very well with this team, drawing the center away from the basket, letting Steve get more layups.

7. vince

vince Member

Doleac would tremendously benefit the Rockets!!! This is so because by having Doleac play outside, the inside is not clogged up when Steve, Anderson, or Mobley drive the Ball inside.

And a previous post compared Doleac to Lambier, sorry but not even close. Detroit wasn't called the bad boys for nothing. Largeley it was Lambier and Rodman (the bad boys of basketball)

------------------